Have you ever bought an Alfa that was a complete dog - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 01-06-08 Thread Starter
Muz
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Have you ever bought an Alfa that was a complete dog

The 1st Alfa that I bought was a 1750 boat tail Spider Duetto.

I viewed the car in Mill Hill on a wet winters evening under street lights. The guy I bought it from was wider than the M25 and I only had a 5 minute test drive at night, car was low on fuel being the reason given.

I collected the car two days later. On my drive back to Brighton I saw the water temp rise alarmingly and loads of smoke coming from the exhaust. The car had a blown headgasket, hence the short test drive.

It turns out that the bottom of the car all around was rusty as hell and had been stuffed full of paper and filler and resprayed. I spent a fortune sorting the car, when I should have binned it but it was a very harsh lesson in car buying that has stood me in good stead ever since, and remains the only bad Alfa I have bought in 8.

Classic case of heart ruling head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ferryman_1957

Re: Have you ever bought an Alfa that was a complete dog

Fortunately no. I've bought two brand new, two second hand and no regrets. Your story is an object lesson in car buying!

Cheers,

Nigel

AO Silver Member

County: Durham

Member car:

Citroen DS3

Ooooooohhhhhhhhh yessss!

Brand new GT in September 04.

Kept it for a year and in that time it probably spent more time back at the dealership than it did with me.

The funny thing is though that I loved the car and would have kept it longer but in the end decided that ARUK and the particular dealership weren't worthy of my patronage their attitudes were so poor.
AO Silver Member

I've bought three Alfa 33s for $300 or less, and they were all rubbish. I'm persisting with one of them for some reason. After spending over $1000 on it I took it to a track day, and had oil and grease pour on the exhaust, major overheating problems, and a number '3' fell off the badge.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Yes.. I bought a 145 Cloverleaf from ebay for £600 it was very tidy. I changed the cambelt and variator, and did an oil change. 200 miles later the big ends started knocking.

I ended up selling it spares or repair and getting my 2nd 156 V6
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Never really had a dog but this one came close, a 1.2 'sud ti. It was only about 4 years old but there was always something odd about it, didn't look or feel right and the colour, Corrallo, well you can see it yourselves. Fair bit of corrosion around too, more than you would expect. Worst thing about it though is that the engine would stop with ridiculous and regular monotony and then you had to sit for ten minutes before it would start again. Tried everything but never did get to the bottom of it, was relieved to PX for a very nice 'sud 1.5 ti which turned out to be the best of the 4 'suds I owned.

A runner up was a 1.8 Guiletta, really didn't like that one but apart from the usual 'leccy problems there wasn't much wrong with it.

Last edited by Nige005; 11-07-08 at 10:50.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 GTA

not an Alfa but did buy a Rover SD1 which I shouldn't have, bought it from Millhill Hill to, I turned up at the designated meeting point to see this Rover sitting there fresh out of the car wash (first alarm bell?) with engine nice and warm (2nd) drove nice but when I got it home realised what a mistake I had made, got a rollicking from the wife, so advertised it in Practical Classics the following week (no internet then??) and sold it to a chap in Southend for a small profit.
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Yes, three yr old 166 2.0TS. When I test drove it the engine sounded dreadful above 60mph and the garare said they'd fix that, it took 10 days. At that point I should have walked away.

First problem was intermittent loss of power - garage said new inlet manifold, cost me £500+ and didn't fix the problem - eventually traced to the MAF.

Next, the big ends failed and I had to have a new engine. 6 months after that was replaced the gearbox failed, then the suspension bushes. As well as all that the paint was a beautifully pink Alfa Rosso.

Despite all of these problems I loved the car (it helped that all problems, with the exception of the Inlet Manifold and suspension) were covered under the mechanical warranty that I had (which cost me £340 at purchase). It did make me very suspicious of the TS engine though - coz when mine broke it was perfectly topped up with oil.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
alfa , bought , complete , dog

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page