Automotive passion - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 01-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Automotive passion

Brothers in fate.

Is a beautiful car not esthetic beauty superimposed, to the best of the makers ability, on a tool?

Is it a mere second hand work of art?

Is our seeming passion and fascination of these instruments therefore hollow?

Or are they an indirect reflection of deadened passions?

Most of our cars will outlive us. But they too will be no more than rusted collections of parts on a junkyard heap.
Eventually they all will.

We won't be known for having owned these parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ferryman_1957

Re: Automotive passion

Here's my thoughts.....

Beautiful tools of any kind allow you to do a job to a higher level of excellence. A beautiful car transforms a mundane task into a real pleasure. Anything that can make day to day life more enjoyable has a high value in my view.

My car is both a work of art and second hand (ie I'm not the first owner!). Like many works of art I have invested time and money in bringing it back to its former glory. In fact it's probably better now than when it came off the production line. But an Alfa 156 is a work of automotive art, like so many other Alfas.

So our passion isn't hollow. Alot of time and money is invested in developing and producing cars. By enjoying them in the way we do we are letting the art inside them flourish, instead of making them part of the grim industrial backdrop of our lives. They become more than the detritus of the consumer age.

We will all end up in a scrapyard somewhere, whether it's full of metal and car parts or flowers and heastones. Some of our powerplants may be transplanted, whether it's a V6 or a vital human organ. Cars and humans, we are all transient. Life is what you make it - so celebrate art wherever you find it and enjoy it.

We are known for having owned these parts if we share them with others via the internet and getting together with other enthusiasts. We have left impressions in many places. Like footprints in the sand, these impressions will fade over time but the same can be said about us.

Cheers,

Nigel

Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferryman_1957 View Post
Here's my thoughts.....

Beautiful tools of any kind allow you to do a job to a higher level of excellence. A beautiful car transforms a mundane task into a real pleasure. Anything that can make day to day life more enjoyable has a high value in my view.

My car is both a work of art and second hand (ie I'm not the first owner!). Like many works of art I have invested time and money in bringing it back to its former glory. In fact it's probably better now than when it came off the production line. But an Alfa 156 is a work of automotive art, like so many other Alfas.

So our passion isn't hollow. Alot of time and money is invested in developing and producing cars. By enjoying them in the way we do we are letting the art inside them flourish, instead of making them part of the grim industrial backdrop of our lives. They become more than the detritus of the consumer age.

We will all end up in a scrapyard somewhere, whether it's full of metal and car parts or flowers and heastones. Some of our powerplants may be transplanted, whether it's a V6 or a vital human organ. Cars and humans, we are all transient. Life is what you make it - so celebrate art wherever you find it and enjoy it.

We are known for having owned these parts if we share them with others via the internet and getting together with other enthusiasts. We have left impressions in many places. Like footprints in the sand, these impressions will fade over time but the same can be said about us.

Cheers,

Nigel
Very well put Nigel, almost profound and very philosophical.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

wow, that's a big question, and it depends on timescale as much as anything else. A car - a beautiful car - is the result of a skilled craftsman's endevours. It is a celebration of skill in the artistry of metal as much as anything else.

But then you can look at it this way. What use is it - or the skills used in its creation - when you park it in a famine zone. What does the stupendous beauty of the 156 say about us, that we can create such a gorgeous car, when parts of the world struggle through famine or disease? How much does culture matter to a mother who has no idea how she can feed her child during the day? Hidden door handles. Tick. A nod to Alfas of the past. Tick. A sassy saloon? Tick.

Kids dying from disease and famine? That's a tick, too.

g

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 01-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudetto View Post
wow, that's a big question, and it depends on timescale as much as anything else. A car - a beautiful car - is the result of a skilled craftsman's endevours. It is a celebration of skill in the artistry of metal as much as anything else.

But then you can look at it this way. What use is it - or the skills used in its creation - when you park it in a famine zone. What does the stupendous beauty of the 156 say about us, that we can create such a gorgeous car, when parts of the world struggle through famine or disease? How much does culture matter to a mother who has no idea how she can feed her child during the day? Hidden door handles. Tick. A nod to Alfas of the past. Tick. A sassy saloon? Tick.

Kids dying from disease and famine? That's a tick, too.

g

Exactly.

The car is a tranquiliser, a morphine for something inside me. A soothing gel to make me forget something very important I should be concerned with deep down. For the life of me I can't put my finger on it.

But the more time I spend with the car the more I get a feeling I'm throwing something very important away.
Ferryman_1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold View Post
Exactly.

The car is a tranquiliser, a morphine for something inside me. A soothing gel to make me forget something very important I should be concerned with deep down. For the life of me I can't put my finger on it.

But the more time I spend with the car the more I get a feeling I'm throwing something very important away.
Well, every minute I spend with my car is a moment of enjoyment, even a drive to the shops. I work hard and I've earned the money for it. Giving it up wouldn't change anything in terms of the injustice in the world, which has existed since man supposedly became civilized. If you have serious green concerns, then perhaps giving up your car would be a good thing to do and might make you feel better. I wouldn't go that far but I respect people that feel that way.

If your car is a tranquilizer, surely that's a better one than chemical tranquilizers?

Cheers,

Nigel

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
automotive , passion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page