Powerless Steering - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 27-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

ALFA ALL THE WAY

Powerless Steering

I was going to post this thread when I had my previous 156, but I wasnt 100% sure. Now on my second 156 I can confirm powerless steering is the way to go.
My first 156 was bought with a power steering pump on its way out, she would have little or no power steering when idle but once I got the revs up it would return, eventually the pump failed completly.
The cost of a fix was 600+ euro, I didnt find the lack of PS a problem, I could easly park mine in a tight shopping centre spot in half the the time Yummy Mummy took to park her Audi Q7 bus.

The real plus was the feedback through the steering wheel, I could feel every millimeter the tyres would splay while cornering, you could make a single 5 degree turn of the wheel with 1 hand while approaching a corner and hold it there varying the amount of throttle to get you around the corner as fast a possible without suffering from over/understeer, and accelerate out with confidence. In fact I didnt know what understeer was until I drove the dads Saab while waiting for my present 156 (an Audi I drove was also no fun).

Now I have a Sportivo model with all the bells and whisles, though when taking my usual routes to work, friends etc I find myself having to readjust the steering 2 or 3 times on roundabouts which was never the case with 'sarah'.

I noted that some Lotus Elise models come without PS, which is understandable in such a light car, and I suspect that besides the engine note etc.. of Alfa Suds the lack of PS is another reason Alfa enthusiasts love them. Maybe I'll go oldschool with my next 1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
powerless , steering

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page