Unleaded vs Super Unleaded? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 27-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfetta GTV6

Hmmm Unleaded vs Super Unleaded?

My old GTV6 is still setup for leaded petrol, which unfortunately isn't available any more, so I have to use an additive. So far I have only been using V-Power petrol with the additive but I have to go a fair distance to get it and at 17mpg thats not much fun.

So I was wondering, can I use normal unleaded with the additive or will that cause actual harm to the engine?

I know I will lose some power but it's costing me 2 gallons of fuel to get to the station and back just now

Cheers

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Well Happy Re: Unleaded vs Super Unleaded?

The last tankful on the Ti was V Power.

I got 24.2mpg compared to my usual 21.8mpg. I drove it as usual over the same routes (some trafic but fast A roads at noughty speeds).

Must say that's really impressive. The car certainy drove sweeter too with less of the dreaded 2.2 hessitation issues.

Not sure if it's cost effective though

Just thought I'd post my experiences.

Cheers,
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Garage
Re: Unleaded vs Super Unleaded?

You CAN still buy leaded petrol at a relatively small number of garages. I have three within a 20 mile radius of home. The '72 GT definitely runs differently on leaded although I honestly can't tell how much if any performance it gives. Oh, and its expensive. Though probably no more than premium plus additive...

The list of English garages is here http://www.leadedpetrol.co.uk/leadedpetrol.pdf but I'm afraid I can't see Scotland listed.

So might be worth a call round or a bit of research. If I remember correctly the law is that something like no more than 1% of fuel sales must be leaded.
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6 TS Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
So I was wondering, can I use normal unleaded with the additive or will that cause actual harm to the engine?
I wouldn't have thought you'd do any damage to the engine.

The only difference is the octane rating, and if you're using the "Booster" additive anyway surely this would counteract the lower grade fuel anyways.

But I know what you mean by availablity... My local "Major" Shell station has only ONE pump that has a V-Power hose.
Yet the "Back Street" one that's connected to a small supermarket has V-Power available from ALL pumps!!!
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryf View Post
You CAN still buy leaded petrol at a relatively small number of garages. I have three within a 20 mile radius of home. The '72 GT definitely runs differently on leaded although I honestly can't tell how much if any performance it gives. Oh, and its expensive. Though probably no more than premium plus additive...

The list of English garages is here http://www.leadedpetrol.co.uk/leadedpetrol.pdf but I'm afraid I can't see Scotland listed.

So might be worth a call round or a bit of research. If I remember correctly the law is that something like no more than 1% of fuel sales must be leaded.
thatll be LRP stuff, I dont think there is any left in Scotland certainly not the north as the Depots used the tanks for other grades now
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:

Report in Practical Classics June magazine. " Sole UK suppliers Gulf Oil claims that low demand, lack of storage facilities and health issues have dropped the axe on leaded petrol manufacture in this country. It has put its 94 garage clients on notice that it will soon stop. "

Further :-
" On the plus side we're developing a high octane four star substitute that should be as good but we can't rush this product."

So who knows ?
AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire

hot topic today is - V power
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Quote:
If I remember correctly the law is that something like no more than 1% of fuel sales must be leaded.
That means they've got to sell more 'normal' petrol to the rest of us then!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
super , unleaded

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page