Shocking - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 25-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Bedfordshire
Shocking

fith gear just destroid a 166 to show the dangers of left hand drive lorries and thier blind spot with overtaking on motorways . now it was shocking to see a good car crushed just to prove a point but more shocking at the crash it self real scary stuff so be careful when passing lorries with continental plates
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

mikebrown

Re: Shocking

cheers....

AO Silver Member

County: -

I dont own a 166
AO Member

County: Cardiff

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

The fsckers! They could have at least trashed a lesser vehicle! On a similar note I am suprised that you are actually allowed to buy LHD vehicles in the UK. I think South Africa has the right idea banning the sale of new LHD cars.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

top tip;

when you come up to an LHD lorry on the M-way that you plan to overtake, when you are in its field of vision, give it six or seven flashes of your headlights to attract the driver's attention, with your right indicator on. Then pass it with your lights on.

By making the driver aware of your presence (lights flashing) and intention (indicator flashing) you might just prevent yourself getting mushed up.

I can't say whether it works; but I told my mum to do this and she spent ten years plying the M4 without incident, and I've yet to be toasted when passing an LHD lorry. If you think six or seven flashes is excessive, just remember that 166 and ask yourself what your life is worth in flash counts... ;-)

g

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.
AO Silver Member

County: Bristol

Member car:

Alfa GT

I saw that as well, btw I think it was actually a 164
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudetto View Post
top tip;

when you come up to an LHD lorry on the M-way that you plan to overtake, when you are in its field of vision, give it six or seven flashes of your headlights to attract the driver's attention, with your right indicator on. Then pass it with your lights on.

I thought this was the universal signal for:

"I've seen you, pull out if you want."

AO Silver Member

County: Antrim

^^^^^^^^agreed^^^^^^^^^

btw, someone was on here saying they sold a car to a tv prog recently - that might have been top gear tho, cant remember.
AO Platinum Member

nah, I just like to cause chaos. Swerving at motorway speeds can be fun :-)

g
AO Silver Member

County: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by belfast bob View Post
^^^^^^^^agreed^^^^^^^^^

btw, someone was on here saying they sold a car to a tv prog recently - that might have been top gear tho, cant remember.
Yer it was Top Gear.

LHD vehicles arent the problem. Its the people inside them that are under a huge amount of pressure to drive 60 straight without a break to get the job done.

I saw that on Dave too and the blindspot was tiny. Victoria was basically saying that she was not planning to overtake as she wasnt in a hurry and was quite happy to sit in the outside lane at the same speed!!! Thats more dangerous surely. Most people when they overtake are doing at least 10mph more and so pass through the blindspot too quickly for it to be a concern.

I reckon it was just an excuse to wreck an Alfa and get people p****d off.
(Post Link) post #11 of 20 Old 26-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Bedfordshire

this kind of accident is growing due to all the forigen drivers over here and also british drivers buying lefthand drive lorries because of all the continental driving they do now to make a living
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

GT JTD

[QUOTE=Nev;1803727]I thought this was the universal signal for:

If you flash your lights (whether it is once or ten times) it means "Be careful, I'm here."
HSTDriver

[QUOTE=peterp;1804662]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
I thought this was the universal signal for:

If you flash your lights (whether it is once or ten times) it means "Be careful, I'm here."
Legally, flashing your headlights has no meaning whatsoever.

AO Member

I haven't seen that episode of fifth gear but this is a serious problem. I used to work for a transport company running right hand drive lorries into Europe and we had the same trouble over there.

Personally I wouldn't be doing any light flashing cos it can cause confusion to everyone on the motorway but I would be particularly alert when passing a LHD wagon that is close behind another truck and looks likely to overtake. Or just stay in the fast lane all the time - that's what most people seem to do these days
AO Platinum Member

Waste of a good car
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by newalfamale View Post
this kind of accident is growing due to all the forigen drivers over here and also british drivers buying lefthand drive lorries because of all the continental driving they do now to make a living
I'm not sure that's accurate, the majority of foreign truck drivers who under cut UK haulage companies do so because they often don't have an empty truck on the way back.

They also have extra tanks and fuel up on the continent and are the trucks aren't speed restricted, they come in tip their load and bugger off again with a full trailer.

My Uncle has just retired after 40 years as lorry driver working continental, land trains, internally alsorts and said there's no money in it anymore and the time constraints are horrific to make jobs profitable, until recently he was having to have fit kip time into the minimum time he couldn't run then be straight back on the road again.

Ended up with hyperthermia after sleeping in his cab one very cold night down south and didn't work from December last year to his retirement date which was last week.

What's happening to the haulage industry has made him hate a job he once loved, very sad

Nero Fuoco 147 Lusso - Bianco Nuvola 147 GTA - Carbonio Brera SV - Azzurro Le Mans GT 1600 Junior
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 3.2

Flashing lights on a m/way has the same meaning as sounding horn: to warn other road users of your presence. The 'squashed by LHD lorry' accident is best avoided by staying behind the lorry in the lane to its right and waiting until there is enough space in your lane ahead of the lorry to pass it cleanly without having to 'park' along side it where the driver can't see you. This is best practice when overtaking any HGV.
AO Platinum Member

County: Gloucestershire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friggertool View Post
Flashing lights on a m/way has the same meaning as sounding horn: to warn other road users of your presence. The 'squashed by LHD lorry' accident is best avoided by staying behind the lorry in the lane to its right and waiting until there is enough space in your lane ahead of the lorry to pass it cleanly without having to 'park' along side it where the driver can't see you. This is best practice when overtaking any HGV.
Totally agree
AO Platinum Member

Aye! Flash! Flash! means "warning" or (if you're in a Merc') "Get that Degenham dustbin out of One's way, peasant!"

Ralf S.
AO Gold Member

County: South Africa
Garage

Member car:

Mito QV

Saw them doing it in a 164, shocking

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
shocking

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page