Is it so wrong.... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 24-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD

Is it so wrong....

For me to like German cars?

I mean, my dad always had German motors, hence my loyalty has always been towards BMW and Audi (FEEK Mercedes), but I choose my cars for style and presence.

If my car was badged as a FIAT I would never have bought it. I am a petrol head, and Alfa Romeo has always been something I have lusted over, and now I've finally owned one (after being fobbed off many years ago whilst trying to buy a 155 from a dealer who just didn't want to sell it), I am destined to buy another, but I can't bring myself to tell a friend to get one!!!

I have come to a conclusion....

I will never buy anything but an Alfa, BMW or Audi (And yes, in that preferable order)

What really feeeeeeks me off though, is you guys who slag off the german brands, why is that?

Yeh, ok, they may be bland, but they ain't bad cars!

Sod it, again, sorry for wasting your valuable time, but the extra iron in Guinness has a peculiar effect on me!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 3.2

Re: Is it so wrong....

Porsche, I could live with. Mercedes tend to be ugly, though there are exceptions and have improved in recent years. BMWs while making some decent cars suffer from gruesome styling. Audi are largely pointless and VW are OK but rather ordinary.
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 24-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friggertool View Post
Mercedes tend to be ugly...
and are pretentious, poorly built, look at me mobiles, hence my FEEK comment!
(Post Link) post #4 of 9 Old 24-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD

Oh, and do you say pour-sha or pour-sh?

Personally I detest unknowing pour-sh speakers.

OK, I'm pished, best go to bed.

Another 'filipharvey' rant done!
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Last edited by 156Chris; 10-12-08 at 15:09.
Ferryman_1957

Nothing wrong per se with liking German cars. They have some great qualities, although they tend to be overstated - Mercedes "quality" for example, just look at the A class. It depends what you want. They have some great engines and great technology, but they have NO style (unless you can afford one of the very top range sporty Mercedes - some of them are ok). There is absolutely no visual appeal in the current range of BMWs for example - their designers simply have no idea how to create a stylish, visually appealing vehicle. The stupid Dame Edna eyebrows on the curent BMWs - how did those get through? They just look ridiculous. I would never dream of spending that much money on a car that doesn't look good from the outside. Also, build quality may be good but BMW interiors feel cheap and plasticky, even the higher grade models.

So it's not wrong to like German cars but IMO people that do have no sense of style or art. Hence the "no soul" criticism. All they care about is supposed technical functionality (which is often overrated) and high residuals. Me, I'm an Alfista and I value style over everything in a car - the combination of looks, handling and engine has to be "right". That's why I struggle to like German cars. I was close to buying a 330i coupe before I got the GTA and as good as they are, they didn't excite me like the GTA. As soon as I saw the GTA, I knew I had to have it.

Cheers,

Nigel

Ferryman_1957

Let me add that Porsche are the exception. Audi, BMW and Mercedes just scream DULL. Although even Porsche can get it wrong - the Cayenne is just disgusting and the Boxster is a bit girly....

Cheers,

Nigel

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Many German cars tend to be bought by people who have no interest in cars.

Alfa's tend to be bought by people who are interested in cars. I think thats a main difference.

Last edited by symon; 25-05-08 at 15:47.
AO Silver Member

County: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferryman_1957 View Post
Let me add that Porsche are the exception. Audi, BMW and Mercedes just scream DULL. Although even Porsche can get it wrong - the Cayenne is just disgusting and the Boxster is a bit girly....

Cheers,

Nigel
Even Porsche are a dull looking car. But i'm not biassed against german. I think that Alfas stand out from the crowd because they are something special. They are the only car on the market (for the time being at least) with a real individuality. Put one in a line made up of BMW, Audi, Ford, Citroen, etc and it will be the Alfa that people will notice. So its not just german cars. I like the new Golf GTI. I think its really good looking and they have given it the power back that it should have, but once you get inside you lose all that sense of style. You could be sitting in anything, there is no personality to it and i think thats why we are all driving Alfas.

I road tested so many cars before i got my 147. From M3's to Golfs to the Focus RS and Audi A3. They were nice to look at and would whisper promises of thrills and excitement as you got closer and opened the door, but once inside it all went away. They were all pretty much identical to each other save for a few tiny differences. None of them made me feel part of the car. As soon as i got inside the 147 it was totally different story. The way it hugs you the moment you sit down, the layout of the dials, the feel of the steering wheel. It was just so right and exactly what i was looking for.

So i dont dislike the german (or any other make) of car, i just prefer Alfas for the way they make me feel everytime i get in it. I can even say with hand on heart that i look forward to the ride to work in the mornings now and that has to be worth something.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
wrong

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page