Is anyone missing the 'GTV' name from Alfa's current line-up? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 23-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Is anyone missing the 'GTV' name from Alfa's current line-up?

alright guys,

I might be trying to make something out of nothing here, so feel free to say so (like you'd be scared to hold back, lol).

But...do you think it's a shame or of no importance that Alfa no longer uses the GTV name/no longer has it in its line up?

On one hand, I think it's a shame. A GTV had been Alfa's high end coupe for almost 40 years; think Alfa sports car, and you think GTV. But I'm not sure whether the name carries most credit with nostalgic Alfa fans, rather than Joe Blow with money to spend on a new car. If you think about it, the GT Coupe probably opened the Alfa coupe ownership door to more new Alfa customers than the GTVs ever did.

So I'm not sure what I feel about the fact that there's no current Alfa using the GTV name. I'd be amazed if Alfa ever re-uses the Brera name; that name is too interlinked with that car IMHO; a bit like Miura, or even Montreal - there could only be one of their kind.

The Alfa GT was either a master-stroke of naming policy, or just the laziest naming exercise ever conducted. Given that the car - lovely as it is - was just a stopgap (and what a stopgap!) I doubt we'll see the GT name revived as a mainstay of the Alfa line-up.

So that leaves us with the GTV name. Should it come back? Does anyone bar Alfa-nuts (or even me) give two hoots whether it surfaces again or not?

(I'm aware that GTV is just a set of initials; those are initials a car wears, not initials that can define a car, obviously. They are not magic dust that can transform and imbue a car with sporting prowess. But the GTV name adds a recognised sporty credit to the Alfa brand - I guess I'm just trying to assess what that credit is worth today...if anything).

g

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

Member car:

6C 2500

Re: Is anyone missing the 'GTV' name from Alfa's current line-up?

Err...what was the gap between the last of the Alfetta GTVs and the 916 GTV?

Nothing to panic about
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 23-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaholic View Post
Err...what was the gap between the last of the Alfetta GTVs and the 916 GTV?

Nothing to panic about
oi! Don't go using facts to undermine my point, alright?

But the GTV name has been around on and (ok, off) for 40 years.

g
AO Member

County: Swansea

I think Alfa have missed out by calling their new small car the Mito. Alfa have really cool names from the past. Giulietta anyone? Or how about Stradale?
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 23-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis View Post
I think Alfa have missed out by calling their new small car the Mito. Alfa have really cool names from the past. Giulietta anyone? Or how about Stradale?
I kinda agree. The thing with Giulietta, is that depending on your age or knowledge of Alfa, it can mean one of two things:

- a definitive, pretty as anything sports car that defines the Italian La Dolce Vita and love of style

or

- a so-so saloon from the 1970s/80s that's held with affection from within the Alfa circle fans, but held with a lot less affection from Joe Blow

With its names - including Alfetta - Alfa is in the tricky position of having to both play up and play down its past. Sometimes, it's better to introduce a new name rather than balance that complex juggling act.

g
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

G, don't forget originally the 1960s coupes (like mine) were called GT. Veloce was an add-on to indicate a higher spec, so you could get a 1600 GT OR a 1600 GT Veloce. Mine is technically a 1750 GT Veloce. When the GT was replaced by the Alfetta, the coupe version of that was the Alfetta GT. It was only later on that it the coupes became GTVs.

Now..... I'm not really sure what I'm on about .... but in answer to your question, naming the current GT was ultra lazy and given that the GTV was still available it also made no sense at all.

As for names from the past I would love to see Monza and Sprint reappear.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

6C 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudetto View Post
Sometimes, it's better to introduce a new name rather than balance that complex juggling act.

g

I think you're right there, better to have a new model make it's own history than constantly be compared to what's gone before.

what I would like to see, however, is Alfa to use the version names properly, i.e. a Ti should be a faster sportier version and not some cosmetic makeover....I love the way the 147 and 159 Ti's look, but why can't they be noticeably faster than a Lusso?
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 23-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Hmmm, ok...so what I'm learning here is that, erm, it's only me that's bothered, lol :-)

Rick - the naming logic for the Bertone GTs has always fried my brain, but wasn't the very, very last version of your type of GT, called a 2000GTV (it had a revised grill, sunroof, leccy windows etc)?

And you're right; the Alfetta GT was the Alfetta GT until 1981; then i think it became the Alfa GTV (although iirc, my log book had mine as an Alfetta GTV). *whatever*, lol :-)

g
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudetto View Post
but wasn't the very, very last version of your type of GT, called a 2000GTV (it had a revised grill, sunroof, leccy windows etc)?
It was a 2000 GTV SE!! The good old "Special **** what are we going to do with all these old cars Edition". They gave it a vinyl roof to cover up the rust...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
alfa , current , gtv , lineup , missing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page