ECU Memory Saver. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 22-05-08 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

ECU Memory Saver.

Anyone seen this sort of thing before ? Looks like it may be useful to save losing codes during battery replacement/disconnection.

Question is has anyone had problems when reconnecting ? If so this may be the answer.

Of course I wouldn't buy it, an old PP3 battery, cig lighter plug, bit of wire and ten minutes with a soldering iron would soon knock one up. As someone said, any fool can do something for a 10.00 that an engineer can do do for 1.00. Which category do I fit ?

Did I also mention that I'm tight !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Captured Photos 00000.jpg (26.1 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

Re: ECU Memory Saver.

That wont work,

1) The fag lighter is only switched in by relay when the ignition is on.
2) The reason for disconnecting the battery is because you want it dead - this makes it live again and the ignition is on as well!
3) With the ignition on, one false move will flatten a 9V cell in a flash!
4) I am not sure that exposing electronics to an undervoltage like this is a very good idea.
(Post Link) post #3 of 15 Old 22-05-08 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj romeo View Post
That wont work,

1) The fag lighter is only switched in by relay when the ignition is on.
2) The reason for disconnecting the battery is because you want it dead - this makes it live again and the ignition is on as well!
3) With the ignition on, one false move will flatten a 9V cell in a flash!
4) I am not sure that exposing electronics to an undervoltage like this is a very good idea.
Nope.
1. The GTV lighter socket is permanently on.
2. The PP3 battery used supplies very little current so no damage would be caused by the odd quick inadvertent short to earth.
3. Dead right, don't try to start using a PP3 ! I wouldn't even switch the ignition on whilst using this device.
4. No damage to the electronics would be caused by this slight undervoltage. If you were worried about this though it would be easy to configure a very small 12 volt battery pack.

Thanks for your thoughts, this is the point of the Thread, I can think of a few occasions where this device may be useful even if only to save resetting the clock and the radio code and presets !

I s'pose the main question here is whether leaving the battery disconnected for any period of time would potentially cause ECU memory problems.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Load Of Old Rubbish!!!!!!
(Post Link) post #5 of 15 Old 22-05-08 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC7671 View Post
Load Of Old Rubbish!!!!!!
Which bit ? Or all of it !!!
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige005 View Post
Nope.
1. The GTV lighter socket is permanently on.
2. The PP3 battery used supplies very little current so no damage would be caused by the odd quick inadvertent short to earth.
3. Dead right, don't try to start using a PP3 ! I wouldn't even switch the ignition on whilst using this device.
4. No damage to the electronics would be caused by this slight undervoltage. If you were worried about this though it would be easy to configure a very small 12 volt battery pack.

1. - OK, but most Alfa's are through the ignition switch, some on a delay off time relay.
2. - Can still give you spark though!
4. - I would go 12 volt, undervoltage can send the 147, 159, brera, gt haywire if the canbus voltage goes low!

My advice for laid up cars is a professional trickle charger with the battery connected, such devices are approved by the likes of Ferrari for current models.

Removing the battery for 10 minutes or so, as well as wiping the radio code (although not on can bus cars where the radio sees the ECU and knows its still in the same car) it also removes the ignition and fuel trims the ECU has learnt along with the best strategy for idle and reverts to factory settings. It quickly re-adusts and re-learns though. The Latest diesels can change strategies and learn several times per second!

Hope this helps a bit!
(Post Link) post #7 of 15 Old 23-05-08 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj romeo View Post
1. - OK, but most Alfa's are through the ignition switch, some on a delay off time relay.
2. - Can still give you spark though!
4. - I would go 12 volt, undervoltage can send the 147, 159, brera, gt haywire if the canbus voltage goes low!

My advice for laid up cars is a professional trickle charger with the battery connected, such devices are approved by the likes of Ferrari for current models.

Removing the battery for 10 minutes or so, as well as wiping the radio code (although not on can bus cars where the radio sees the ECU and knows its still in the same car) it also removes the ignition and fuel trims the ECU has learnt along with the best strategy for idle and reverts to factory settings. It quickly re-adusts and re-learns though. The Latest diesels can change strategies and learn several times per second!

Hope this helps a bit!
Some interesting stuff coming out, which was the main point of the post. Lets say you want to remove the vehicle battery for say a couple of days, would you bother with a device like this or take your chances ?
AO Gold Member

I would take my chances with the battery removed - remaps are not affected by power downs by the way as they are flashed into the memory. The ECU doesnt actually require a permanent voltage to keep it fit...otherwise all the ones on the shelf would go blank!

The gadget doesnt have any memory - it just feeds the car 9 volts to keep it 'alive'
AO Member

County: Lancashire

I has issues over winter when my spider was laid up. i disconnected and charged the battery over several months.. leading to my ECU been defunked and cost me £400 to get it swapped etc!

So dont disconnect the battery.. its not worth it

As Nige005 knows !!
(Post Link) post #10 of 15 Old 23-05-08 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelUpNorth View Post
I has issues over winter when my spider was laid up. i disconnected and charged the battery over several months.. leading to my ECU been defunked and cost me 400 to get it swapped etc!

So dont disconnect the battery.. its not worth it

As Nige005 knows !!
Yes, you certainly had some fun ? Nige ! Still it all worked out in the end, your persistence paid off ! Happy motoring.

I think if I had to disconnect my battery for any prolonged period I would probably plumb in some sort of low current 12 volt supply to try not to end up in an expensive hole.
(Post Link) post #11 of 15 Old 23-05-08 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legless View Post
Am I missing something here? Why should disconnecting the battery for several months - then re-connecting a fully charged battery (apart from obvious stereo security coding problems) cause problems? I only ask in order to educate myself. I have NEVER had a problem with laying up a 2nd sports car over the winter. What have I (thankfully) missed?

Perhaps your problems lay with gradual evaporation of the fuel between the tank & the engine over several months. All that requires is a fully charged battery & patience whilst the fuel pump draws the petrol.
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...de-issues.html

Have a look at this Thread, scary stuff. NigelUpNorth will probably respond with more gruesome details !

I'm no auto electrician expert but do believe in a " Belt and Braces " sort of idea, so if keeping the ECU supplied MAY help to prevent problems then why not ? One less problem to worry about perhaps ?

Last edited by Nige005; 23-05-08 at 15:15.
AO Member

County: Lancashire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige005 View Post
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...de-issues.html

Have a look at this Thread, scary stuff. NigelUpNorth will probably respond with more gruesome details !
GRRRR.. is the answer !! For some reason the battery kept going flat over time, even though i wasnt using the car, and in the end i just kept charging/disconnecting. Anyway it just might have been me been over careful

Good thread Nige...

PS the cars running great now and I'm enjoying the sunny days
(Post Link) post #13 of 15 Old 23-05-08 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelUpNorth View Post
GRRRR.. is the answer !! For some reason the battery kept going flat over time, even though i wasnt using the car, and in the end i just kept charging/disconnecting. Anyway it just might have been me been over careful

Good thread Nige...

PS the cars running great now and I'm enjoying the sunny days
Glad to hear it Nige. Bank Holiday weather seems to have set in down here, overcast and a touch of drizzle. Not to worry, every day's a Bank Holiday for me !
(Post Link) post #14 of 15 Old 23-05-08 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Could be worthwhile keeping an eye on this Thread to get the non GTV/ Spider owners views.

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ml#post1799240
(Post Link) post #15 of 15 Old 23-05-08 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legless View Post
Terrifying!
It frightened me !

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
ecu , memory , saver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page