Audi TT – hit a tree – three youngsters dead... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 38 Old 21-05-08 Thread Starter

Audi TT – hit a tree – three youngsters dead...

**Caution Advised**
Ulykkessjåføren hadde 1,9 i promille - Nyheter - Oslo - Aftenposten.no

This accident happened earlier this month in Oslo. All three passengers died. Two young sisters and a 20 year old driver. It is nothing left of the car – and the tree is still standing.

My thoughts go to the parents, especially the parents who lost both of their young daughters age 16 and 18. The parents approved the release of these pictures to prevent other young drivers not to drink and drive.

The driver just picked up his new Audi TT few days before the accident. Only 20 years old. His alcohol level was 1.9 (almost 10 times legal limit in Norway, or 4 times legal limit in UK.) They estimate that the car hit the tree in at least 120 kmt at impact. If I remember right speed limit on that local road is 50kmt. Last year he got a silver medal in the Norwegian championship for motor cross. Someone forgot to tell him that drink & drive plus high speed do not mix – but kills.

Folks take a look at the pictures – it is nothing left of the Audi TT, 2008 model!

Last edited by OperationAlfa; 22-05-08 at 16:23. Reason: caution to link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: Audi TT – hit a tree – three youngsters dead...

I refuse to look.
Ant
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 92

Member car:

2014 Honda CR-V

Painful...
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Horrible.

The disintegration of the TT suggests maybe faster than 120km/h?

Man, that is a truely horrible sight.

I feel sorry for everyone involved especially the two passengers in the TT who had no control over what happend...
AO Member

Member car:

alfa 155

that picture does more for road safety than the ads they show in ireland YouTube - The faster the speed - the bigger the mess
AlfaLincs

Trees are very unforgiving. I remember back in 1995 I had just lost my job and was feeling very sorry for myself, then I heard that a local girl I knew by aquaintance had died after a family meal celebrating her impending departure to be a nurse in Australia. She was a truly lovely kid, but had too much to drink and hit a tree in Nidderdale on the way back to her flat.

I was not close enough to the family to attend the funeral, but I could see the burial party across the valley from my house. I really had no heart for the job applications that day, but it put my problems into perspective.

My parents had been out for a meal in Masham and were heading back to Northallerton when they came upon a car that had hit a tree. When they got home they were very upset. The girl in the passenger seat was dead, and the young lad who was driving was not in a good way, but was shouting and screaming. Both my parents had experience of this kind of thing in both wartime and peace, and I'm sure handled it as well as the situation allowed until the ambulance arrived. The young lad survived. Its usually the girls in the passenger seats who die for some reason I've never quite understood.

Just terrible really.

AlfaLincs

AO Silver Member

County: -

A sight seen many times a day all over the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slummingangel View Post
that picture does more for road safety than the ads they show in ireland YouTube - The faster the speed - the bigger the mess
I've never seen that advert before but it’s quite disturbing... This is why I hate all the 'boy racers' I see around these days. As 'sod's law' would have it, whenever they seem to have an accident they survive and others around them die leaving huge hole in people lives...

Speed doesn't just kill, it destroys lives

Rough shifts-M mode - The Unofficial BMW M5 Messageboard (m5board.com)

I find this very disturbing. Could so easily be some new kid on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G5een View Post
Rough shifts-M mode - The Unofficial BMW M5 Messageboard (m5board.com)

I find this very disturbing. Could so easily be some new kid on here.
Crap like that is why I have distain for Beemer drivers

'when im going pedal to the metal pushing 140'...

and he is 18!

I agree with the motorbike system, until your 21(?) nothing more powerful then 33kW isn't it?

Well, what I am trying to say is you are restricted at a young age. I had a 1.4 until Novemeber last year. Had that car for 3 years, put me in pretty good stead to handle Bella, but, if I had Bella 1st, I am sure I'd be dead now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_156JTD View Post
Crap like that is why I have distain for Beemer drivers

'when im going pedal to the metal pushing 140'...

and he is 18!

I agree with the motorbike system, until your 21(?) nothing more powerful then 33kW isn't it?

Well, what I am trying to say is you are restricted at a young age. I had a 1.4 until Novemeber last year. Had that car for 3 years, put me in pretty good stead to handle Bella, but, if I had Bella 1st, I am sure I'd be dead now...
Crazy isn't it.

But did you read till the end?

Quote:
But having said that, first car was a 1.6 16v (corsa GSi ) second a 2.0 20v (bravo HGT ) now im on the 156 (2.0 16v). I'm 21 now and bought the alfa when i was 20 so in that situation ^ i wouldn't of owned any of the cars i have.

I guess I'm not a menace, its just that minority, which sadly is turning into the majority that ruins it for the rest of us young drivers.

Quote:
Crazy isn't it.

But did you read till the end?
Have now, and again this just reiterates what I say;
young kids + inexpirience + speeding = death, to someone if not everyone involved.

Quote:
But having said that, first car was a 1.6 16v (corsa GSi ) second a 2.0 20v (bravo HGT ) now im on the 156 (2.0 16v). I'm 21 now and bought the alfa when i was 20 so in that situation ^ i wouldn't of owned any of the cars i have.

I guess I'm not a menace, its just that minority, which sadly is turning into the majority that ruins it for the rest of us young drivers.
Well, I'll be 24 in August and my insurance is still ridiculously high because my age group in considered a liability.

I so far have not had a major crash, written any cars off or injured anyone *touch wood*

Yet, I still have to pay for the oik in his Fiesta 1.1 who thinks me is M.S.
AO Silver Member

Its not the power the car has thats the problem, its the way and moment that its used. Ive always had powerful cars, my first was a 2.8L Scorpio that my old man handed down to me when i was just 18, and i'm glad to say i'm now 33 and have never had an accident. It's not that i didnt use that power, because i did, and i enjoyed it, but i used it when it was safe to do so. I still like driving fast but some people choose to do it when its just not possible. There are more cars on the road now and i see many cars in rush hour on the way to work bumper to bumper pushing each other along at near 100mph. Its just tempting fate. They seem to drive with blinkers on and pretend they are the only ones on the road.

Adding alcohol to the mix is just suicidal. I also think that peer pressure plays a huge part. Who hasnt been in places like Gt Yarmouth at the weekend and seen 'boy racers' tearing up and down the strip? There is always at least 4 people in the car, three of whom are safe in the knowledge that they are not driving so they wont get into trouble. The sad fact is though, that they are more likely to get injured in a crash than the driver who will see it coming earlier and prepare themselves for impact. The passengers wont know about it until it hurts.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Someone died a couple of weeks ago near my house after hitting a tree. The same tree also killed someone else a few months back.

It is right on the outside of a fast bend, so that has to beg the question why haven't they cut it down or put a barrier around it?

Its not the matter of just using the power when its safe, its knowing what to do with it.

Some kid might be on a dead straight road with no-one around in his (or his dads) 200BHP beast and think "lets floor it." Before he knows it he doesn't know how to handle such power and speed having had no expirience and "wallop," tree... dead...

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
Someone died a couple of weeks ago near my house after hitting a tree. The same tree also killed someone else a few months back.

It is right on the outside of a fast bend, so that has to beg the question why haven't they cut it down or put a barrier around it?
Or people haven't learned that you need to slow down for that corner!? Why blame the tree? Its always been there. Blame the people who are driving into it.

But whats after the tree? A field?

A barrier would just make it worse as it mean work-men have to be near that corner with the loons driving around it too fast
VO2Max

Tragic - an idiot driving very drunk and 2 girls who should know better than to ride with him. A very sad waste of young lives .

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Its not the matter of just using the power when its safe, its knowing what to do with it.

Some kid might be on a dead straight road with no-one around in his (or his dads) 200BHP beast and think "lets floor it." Before he knows it he doesn't know how to handle such power and speed having had no expirience and "wallop," tree... dead...
That's partly what i was saying. You get a car full of your mates all egging you on to go faster and push it past your skill limit. I chose to take an extended driving course three years after passing my test and it was the best thing i ever did. It teaches you evasive driving, skid control, high speed manuevers, and raises your skill level considerably. I dont think they should be optional but part of a compulsory addition to getting your license. If everybody took that course after getting their license it would help reduce the level of carnage we see everyday. It also lowers your insurance.

These accidents nearly always take place at night when the 'friends' come out. I knew a chap who was lucky not to lose his life on Lime Kiln Hill when he decided to take his car over it at night with 3 buddies on board at over 90mph. Now, i anybody knows that particular hill its not something you do. He had driven over it many times but the difference was this time he was with his mates and they wanted a thrill. They all got more than they bargained for that night.

That is also why I like driving in my car on my own. I know my limits and they are before the cars limits.

Pushing a small car can only end badly...

Well, atleast your friend learnt and there was no loss of life, some are not so lucky
AO Silver Member

County: Cornwall

jees - just read the thread about the BMW M5 - really surreal. I'm 21, and drive the 3.0 v6 GTV - but know when to pick a moment to use the power and know when it's not safe. Spend an awful lot of time being overtaken by so-called "mature" drivers having a point to prove.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
That is also why I like driving in my car on my own. I know my limits and they are before the cars limits.

Pushing a small car can only end badly...

Well, atleast your friend learnt and there was no loss of life, some are not so lucky
Yer quite agree. Maybe its all the fancy gizmos that get hyped up on the more modern cars. There's no denying that cars such as the Honda Type-R and Seat Cupra are aimed at the younger drivers and they both have more than enough power to easily kill their occupants, and with added traction controls, and variable diffs and suspension i think sometimes it makes the driver feel that the car will automatically evade an accident no matter what. I wonder if the last thing they think before impact is 'why's this happening, maybe somethings broken.'
AO Member

I participated in several driving courses - not those for learning how to drive in order to get your license - but more a rally and safety techniques learning. Like emergency braking, emergency braking in curves, dodging an obstacle etc. One of these was two days on the old airfield with true rally drivers/instructors - excellent. We really felt like we learned something at the end of the course and had some courageous humors. For goodbye they've played us a movie taken by the police from real road accidents and all that mess. Footage included drastic scenes of crashed cars, dead people, even living victims of accidents screaming in pain...

We quickly calmed down with our freshly gained willingness to test our new skills.

My point is - it is useful to scare people with scenes like that, they get this to their heads and drive safer afterwards...

156SW 1.9JTDm + remap 165bhp

Thinking of... 159SW 2.4JTDm Q4, 18" spoke rims, black + black upholstery + remap 210->250bhp

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
audi , dead , hit , tree , youngsters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page