MiTo at Nurburgring - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 20-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: -
MiTo at Nurburgring

Its come out in a weak disguise.

YouTube - Alfa Mi.To

Still cant really get this car. To me it looks too much like a Micra or Corsa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire

Member car:

2002 GTV T.Spark

Re: MiTo at Nurburgring

Think that has been posted before.Still i know what you mean.From some angles the front looks really good and others the lights look a bit odd.Have to wait and see it for real
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

I think it is designed to broaden the appeal beyond the current Alfa driver, so it may not appeal specifically to you. I think this is a positive thing - the more Alfas on the road the better the quality of products and service...

.. Even though some say it may take away the special feeling of being an Alfisti (or whatever)

I don't see myself buying one, but have no problem with it in the Alfa lineup...
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Seems to have a fair bit of roll...
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLP View Post
It's based on a Fiat Grande Punto floorpan/chassis - but much uglier. An AR disaster methinks. The 147 looks much nicer - so why produce this heap of ****?
The more I let you stay here the better it gets.
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire

Looks like the Lancia version too much I think.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 96
County: North Lanarkshire

Member car:

GT Lusso 2.0 JTS

To me it looks more like the new Brava, and there wouldn't be that much wrong with a spicey Brava I'd have one
AO Member

Member car:

Fiat X1/9

I like it, the suspension looks to be a bit too high, i think lower ride hight would really improve the looks (and handling obviously).

It is a interesting design and something a bit different, i don't think Alfa have ever made a terrible looking car and I'm sure it will look great when its released.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationAlfa View Post
Seems to have a fair bit of roll...
Hmmm...I don't know - for a road car I thought it looked pretty good - evil bumps on that track though
AO Member

Like most Turbo engines a bit too quiet for my liking, need to give it a fruity exhaust without being too "boy racerish".
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

156 GTA

It didn't look bad to me at all there for the standard road setup, and there is a serious depression on one of the corners shown which unsettles any car.
A non sports kit 156 would wobble like jello taking that corner
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 3.2

Looked to be unsettled in quite a few of the corners, like the suspension was getting loaded up an rebounding or maybe the driver was having to back off more than he'd excpected? Who can say?
AO Member

Still looks too much like my Punto for my liking. Don't get me wrong, I really like my Punto, I just can't understand why you would spend 12k+ when the punto sporting is 12k and comes fully loaded.
AO Member

Member car:

2006 Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops79 View Post
Still looks too much like my Punto for my liking. Don't get me wrong, I really like my Punto, I just can't understand why you would spend 12k+ when the punto sporting is 12k and comes fully loaded.

The GPS is by no means 'fully loaded' It's just a GP with 17" wheels and a more powerful engine.. The chassis tweaks on the Abarth that the Mito is based on make it a much more dynamic machine.

If people are prepared to pay 16k base, to over 20k for a specced up Cooper S then I don't blame Alfa for wanting a piece of the same pie - best thing is that after it's been out for a few months you should be able to get a sizeable discount on it, unlike the MINI.

My missus's GPS Mjet is over 2 years old now, so I'm itching to get her into either an Abarth or a Mito - I'm basically gonna get whichever one gets to the UK first...

Courtster.

http://abarthuk.com

2006 Grande Punto Sporting Multijet- Soon to be replaced by a 2008 Grande Punto Abarth - or an Alfa MiTo
2002 Alfa 147 2.0 Lusso - Now replaced by a 2006 Honda Civic
1983 Alfasud 1.5 Ti Green Cloverleaf
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

GTV V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Slegg View Post
evil bumps on that track though
Just like a regular british road then!
AO Member

I can see your point about the extra profit that BMW make from the Mini, the difference is that this has a bespoke chassis and isn't full of switch gear lifted directly from a car that starts at less than £8k. I have no problem with Alfa wanting to have a piece of the mini cake. I just don't think they are going to achieve it by rebadging a punto and charging a premium for it.

Lets not forget that the GP will be sat in the same dealer as the Alfa, and given the average Alfa/ fiat dealer quality, your average punter will have plenty of time to look round before somebody approaches them.

I know that this comes across quite negative, but I sold my 147 for the punto and I am not going to pay more for a car that is so identical
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicI55 View Post
Like most Turbo engines a bit too quiet for my liking, need to give it a fruity exhaust without being too "boy racerish".
Sounded pretty good to me
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

Quote:
I can see your point about the extra profit that BMW make from the Mini, the difference is that this has a bespoke chassis and isn't full of switch gear lifted directly from a car that starts at less than £8k. I have no problem with Alfa wanting to have a piece of the mini cake. I just don't think they are going to achieve it by rebadging a punto and charging a premium for it.

Lets not forget that the GP will be sat in the same dealer as the Alfa, and given the average Alfa/ fiat dealer quality, your average punter will have plenty of time to look round before somebody approaches them.

I know that this comes across quite negative, but I sold my 147 for the punto and I am not going to pay more for a car that is so identical

I don't think the average punter will have the same concerns as you & there will be plenty to distinguish each on the forecourt - Alfa are in a different brand segment than Fiat - similar to VW & Skoda.

I don't think that sharing a floor plan makes them the same car or even similar.
AO Member

Member car:

2006 Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefoam View Post
I don't think the average punter will have the same concerns as you & there will be plenty to distinguish each on the forecourt - Alfa are in a different brand segment than Fiat - similar to VW & Skoda.

I don't think that sharing a floor plan makes them the same car or even similar.
I concur - people don't go to a VW/Audi dealers to look at an S3 at £27k, then walk over to a Golf 1.4S at £12k..

When comparing a Mito to A Grande Punto - from the exterior the only parts that are the same are the reverse and foglights, and maybe the wipers. The only 'noticeable' part sharing going on in the interior are the switches that control the light levelling/menu, the armrest and the steering wheel buttons. As long as they change the third world glovebox and jebus handles for better quality items then I'll be happy.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtster View Post
I concur - people don't go to a VW/Audi dealers to look at an S3 at £27k, then walk over to a Golf 1.4S at £12k..

When comparing a Mito to A Grande Punto - from the exterior the only parts that are the same are the reverse and foglights, and maybe the wipers. The only 'noticeable' part sharing going on in the interior are the switches that control the light levelling/menu, the armrest and the steering wheel buttons. As long as they change the third world glovebox and jebus handles for better quality items then I'll be happy.
So its not just my glovebox which is a hunk of junk then.

What I didn't like was the fact that the entire dashboard configuration was identical, the dials, although clad with nice chrome is exactly the same, the climate control system is identical. The electric window controls haven't been changed and the seats only have better materials. There stalks are also lifted straight out the GP

I can agree with your point about the Golf/ S3 argument, but in the case of the MiTo, the price difference isn't going to be so significant.

I except that I am a bit of an unusual case though. I love Italian cars, rather than having a particular love of Alfa in particular. I didn't really see much of a differance between driving an Alfa and driving a Fiat. Given this, the MiTo isn't different enough to convince me to go back to Alfa.
AO Member

Member car:

2006 Honda Civic

Quote:
So its not just my glovebox which is a hunk of junk then.
<SNIP>I didn't really see much of a differance between driving an Alfa and driving a Fiat. Given this, the MiTo isn't different enough to convince me to go back to Alfa.
I agree with all your points...

Just one thing to put into perspective tho, the GPS 1.4 95hp is £11605. The base model Mito will have the same engine (if ARUK bring it to the UK) and will start at approx £12000... I think thats smashing value...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
mito , nurburgring

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page