MiTo at Nurburgring - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 20-05-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Alfaspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I would rather not say
County: -
Posts: 2,263
MiTo at Nurburgring

Its come out in a weak disguise.

YouTube - Alfa Mi.To

Still cant really get this car. To me it looks too much like a Micra or Corsa.
Alfaspeed is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Alfie GTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Wiltshire
Posts: 2,275

Member car:

2002 GTV T.Spark

Re: MiTo at Nurburgring

Think that has been posted before.Still i know what you mean.From some angles the front looks really good and others the lights look a bit odd.Have to wait and see it for real
Alfie GTV is offline  
Status: Hungry
AO Member
 
bluefoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ireland
County: Dublin
Posts: 647

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

Re: MiTo at Nurburgring

I think it is designed to broaden the appeal beyond the current Alfa driver, so it may not appeal specifically to you. I think this is a positive thing - the more Alfas on the road the better the quality of products and service...

.. Even though some say it may take away the special feeling of being an Alfisti (or whatever)

I don't see myself buying one, but have no problem with it in the Alfa lineup...
bluefoam is offline  
Status: Back in a Quad
AO Platinum Member
 
OperationAlfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Essex
Posts: 23,457
Re: MiTo at Nurburgring

Seems to have a fair bit of roll...
OperationAlfa is offline  
Status: Back in a Quad
AO Platinum Member
 
OperationAlfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Essex
Posts: 23,457
Re: MiTo at Nurburgring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLP View Post
It's based on a Fiat Grande Punto floorpan/chassis - but much uglier. An AR disaster methinks. The 147 looks much nicer - so why produce this heap of ****?
The more I let you stay here the better it gets.
OperationAlfa is offline  
Status: Optimistic for new season
AO Silver Member
 
rossogtv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Lincolnshire
Posts: 2,007
Re: MiTo at Nurburgring

Looks like the Lancia version too much I think.
rossogtv is offline  
Status: dent free Lusso and lovin it:D
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Fast Frank's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 96
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: North Lanarkshire
Posts: 13,135

Member car:

GT Lusso 2.0 JTS

Re: MiTo at Nurburgring

To me it looks more like the new Brava, and there wouldn't be that much wrong with a spicey Brava I'd have one
Fast Frank is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
AshDry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Somerset
Posts: 215

Member car:

Fiat X1/9

Re: MiTo at Nurburgring

I like it, the suspension looks to be a bit too high, i think lower ride hight would really improve the looks (and handling obviously).

It is a interesting design and something a bit different, i don't think Alfa have ever made a terrible looking car and I'm sure it will look great when its released.
AshDry is offline  
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
Kevin Slegg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Surrey
Posts: 15,298
Re: MiTo at Nurburgring

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationAlfa View Post
Seems to have a fair bit of roll...
Hmmm...I don't know - for a road car I thought it looked pretty good - evil bumps on that track though
Kevin Slegg is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 518
Re: MiTo at Nurburgring

Like most Turbo engines a bit too quiet for my liking, need to give it a fruity exhaust without being too "boy racerish".
NordicI55 is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Trailbraker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ireland
County: -
Posts: 5,179

Member car:

156 GTA

Re: MiTo at Nurburgring

It didn't look bad to me at all there for the standard road setup, and there is a serious depression on one of the corners shown which unsettles any car.
A non sports kit 156 would wobble like jello taking that corner
Trailbraker is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Friggertool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: East Spiral Arm of Galaxy
Posts: 3,402

Member car:

Brera 3.2

Re: MiTo at Nurburgring

Looked to be unsettled in quite a few of the corners, like the suspension was getting loaded up an rebounding or maybe the driver was having to back off more than he'd excpected? Who can say?
Friggertool is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Coops79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Newmarket
Posts: 334
Re: MiTo at Nurburgring

Still looks too much like my Punto for my liking. Don't get me wrong, I really like my Punto, I just can't understand why you would spend 12k+ when the punto sporting is 12k and comes fully loaded.
Coops79 is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
courtster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 33

Member car:

2006 Honda Civic

Re: MiTo at Nurburgring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops79 View Post
Still looks too much like my Punto for my liking. Don't get me wrong, I really like my Punto, I just can't understand why you would spend 12k+ when the punto sporting is 12k and comes fully loaded.

The GPS is by no means 'fully loaded' It's just a GP with 17" wheels and a more powerful engine.. The chassis tweaks on the Abarth that the Mito is based on make it a much more dynamic machine.

If people are prepared to pay 16k base, to over 20k for a specced up Cooper S then I don't blame Alfa for wanting a piece of the same pie - best thing is that after it's been out for a few months you should be able to get a sizeable discount on it, unlike the MINI.

My missus's GPS Mjet is over 2 years old now, so I'm itching to get her into either an Abarth or a Mito - I'm basically gonna get whichever one gets to the UK first...

Courtster.

http://abarthuk.com


2006 Grande Punto Sporting Multijet- Soon to be replaced by a 2008 Grande Punto Abarth - or an Alfa MiTo
2002 Alfa 147 2.0 Lusso - Now replaced by a 2006 Honda Civic
1983 Alfasud 1.5 Ti Green Cloverleaf
courtster is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
GTV Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Midlands
Posts: 953

Member car:

GTV V6

Re: MiTo at Nurburgring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Slegg View Post
evil bumps on that track though
Just like a regular british road then!
GTV Rob is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Coops79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Newmarket
Posts: 334
Re: MiTo at Nurburgring

I can see your point about the extra profit that BMW make from the Mini, the difference is that this has a bespoke chassis and isn't full of switch gear lifted directly from a car that starts at less than £8k. I have no problem with Alfa wanting to have a piece of the mini cake. I just don't think they are going to achieve it by rebadging a punto and charging a premium for it.

Lets not forget that the GP will be sat in the same dealer as the Alfa, and given the average Alfa/ fiat dealer quality, your average punter will have plenty of time to look round before somebody approaches them.

I know that this comes across quite negative, but I sold my 147 for the punto and I am not going to pay more for a car that is so identical
Coops79 is offline  
Status: happier today
AO Silver Member
 
merlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kent
Posts: 2,437
Re: MiTo at Nurburgring

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicI55 View Post
Like most Turbo engines a bit too quiet for my liking, need to give it a fruity exhaust without being too "boy racerish".
Sounded pretty good to me
merlin is offline  
Status: Hungry
AO Member
 
bluefoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ireland
County: Dublin
Posts: 647

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

Re: MiTo at Nurburgring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops79 View Post
I can see your point about the extra profit that BMW make from the Mini, the difference is that this has a bespoke chassis and isn't full of switch gear lifted directly from a car that starts at less than £8k. I have no problem with Alfa wanting to have a piece of the mini cake. I just don't think they are going to achieve it by rebadging a punto and charging a premium for it.

Lets not forget that the GP will be sat in the same dealer as the Alfa, and given the average Alfa/ fiat dealer quality, your average punter will have plenty of time to look round before somebody approaches them.

I know that this comes across quite negative, but I sold my 147 for the punto and I am not going to pay more for a car that is so identical

I don't think the average punter will have the same concerns as you & there will be plenty to distinguish each on the forecourt - Alfa are in a different brand segment than Fiat - similar to VW & Skoda.

I don't think that sharing a floor plan makes them the same car or even similar.
bluefoam is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
courtster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 33

Member car:

2006 Honda Civic

Re: MiTo at Nurburgring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefoam View Post
I don't think the average punter will have the same concerns as you & there will be plenty to distinguish each on the forecourt - Alfa are in a different brand segment than Fiat - similar to VW & Skoda.

I don't think that sharing a floor plan makes them the same car or even similar.
I concur - people don't go to a VW/Audi dealers to look at an S3 at £27k, then walk over to a Golf 1.4S at £12k..

When comparing a Mito to A Grande Punto - from the exterior the only parts that are the same are the reverse and foglights, and maybe the wipers. The only 'noticeable' part sharing going on in the interior are the switches that control the light levelling/menu, the armrest and the steering wheel buttons. As long as they change the third world glovebox and jebus handles for better quality items then I'll be happy.
courtster is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Coops79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Newmarket
Posts: 334
Re: MiTo at Nurburgring

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtster View Post
I concur - people don't go to a VW/Audi dealers to look at an S3 at £27k, then walk over to a Golf 1.4S at £12k..

When comparing a Mito to A Grande Punto - from the exterior the only parts that are the same are the reverse and foglights, and maybe the wipers. The only 'noticeable' part sharing going on in the interior are the switches that control the light levelling/menu, the armrest and the steering wheel buttons. As long as they change the third world glovebox and jebus handles for better quality items then I'll be happy.
So its not just my glovebox which is a hunk of junk then.

What I didn't like was the fact that the entire dashboard configuration was identical, the dials, although clad with nice chrome is exactly the same, the climate control system is identical. The electric window controls haven't been changed and the seats only have better materials. There stalks are also lifted straight out the GP

I can agree with your point about the Golf/ S3 argument, but in the case of the MiTo, the price difference isn't going to be so significant.

I except that I am a bit of an unusual case though. I love Italian cars, rather than having a particular love of Alfa in particular. I didn't really see much of a differance between driving an Alfa and driving a Fiat. Given this, the MiTo isn't different enough to convince me to go back to Alfa.
Coops79 is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
courtster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 33

Member car:

2006 Honda Civic

Re: MiTo at Nurburgring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops79 View Post
So its not just my glovebox which is a hunk of junk then.
<SNIP>I didn't really see much of a differance between driving an Alfa and driving a Fiat. Given this, the MiTo isn't different enough to convince me to go back to Alfa.
I agree with all your points...

Just one thing to put into perspective tho, the GPS 1.4 95hp is £11605. The base model Mito will have the same engine (if ARUK bring it to the UK) and will start at approx £12000... I think thats smashing value...
courtster is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
mito , nurburgring

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome