What Type of Alfa Romeo should I buy? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 20-05-08 Thread Starter

What Type of Alfa Romeo should I buy?

Hello there. I am a total novice when it comes to Alfa Romeos but have been wanting one for ages. I'm now in a position where I've got about £1200 - £1500 to spend on a second hand one, and don't really know where to start.

I'm guessing for my money I'm looking at something built around 2000/2001 - but other than that?

So far I've been looking on Ebay and Autotrader and have been comparing the 146, the GTV, 147, 166?

Where do I start? and what faults should I be looking out for on the different models?

Many thanks in Advance

Romeo Romeo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Graham P

Re: What Type of Alfa Romeo should I buy?

If you can get a 147 for that much then don't hesitate

...but I'd say a phase one GTV or high mileage early phase two. I'd say it's more like you are looking at 96-99 not 2000/01 I'm afraid. Example: -

Autotrader - ALFA ROMEO GTV 2.0 TS 16V 2dr Coupe

Don't know anything about 146/166's but I'm sure people will be along to advise soon ;o)

Last edited by Graham P; 20-05-08 at 12:43.

Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham P View Post
I

...but I'd say a phase one GTV or high mileage early phase two. I'd say it's more like you are looking at 96-99 not 2000/01 I'm afraid. Example: -

Autotrader - ALFA ROMEO GTV 2.0 TS 16V 2dr Coupe
£1500.00 should get a half decent 97/98 P1 GTV, any decent 2000/1 is not in that price bracket.

Decide which model you want and then read the buying guides on this Forum. All I can say is that the GTV is a great fun car but if you have children then it's not really for you, the back seats are seats in name only and you will get a packed lunch in the boot, not much more than that.
AO Gold Member

County: West Yorkshire

Should be able to get a good 156
AO Silver Member

Either the 145 & 146 would be your best bet. You will get a nice one for that money. As always on the T Spark CHECK ON CAMBELTS, Must be done 36,000 miles or 3 years, whichever comes first. Build that into your price calculations. Also some sort of service history will be nice.

ALL Alfas tend to use oil so first try to find out how much the one you are looking at uses (if the owner says none then he prob never checked it!) and then remember to check it every fuel fill up.

ANY 147 of 2002 vintage in that price bracket would be worth leaving alone as it will prob cost a packet to repair very quickly and be very high miles to boot.

Paulus

THE ROXAS THAT I KNEW IS LONG GONE
AO Member

gtv - lots of fun for the money
AO Silver Member

County: -

you could get a resonable 156 for £1500 , but if you go for a 2.5 v6 make sure its had the cambelt done fairly recently otherwise a cambelt change / water pump/ tensioners could cost anything up to £600 to replace , and if it hasnt been done recently , it is imperitive it is done , so bear that in mind , otherwise a 2.5 v6 is fairly reliable to be honest.
A full service history is fairly important too, but if its been looked after it should give you miles of FAIRLY trouble free motoring.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

You should get a really good 146ti or 145 Cloverleaf for that amount. I would go with a 156 though. The best all rounder is the 2 litre TS with the sportpack, but make sure it has had the cambelt and tensioners done recently and try to establish from the seller how often he tops it up with oil. (That applies to any Alfa)

A GTV can be had for this money, as can 166's but they are likely to be in need of work at that price.
A 147 at this price is likely to be a dog.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170)
AO Member

Member car:

145 Cloverleaf

This isn't an advert as such but I'd accept about 1400 for my 2000 W plate 145 cloverleaf in African Savannah Grey (it's a grey/green colour), just cleared 50k, 12 months mot (service and MOT last Monday) and 10 months tax. Belts changed at 40k.

Unfortunately, the roof rack just ain't big enough for my windsurfing boards so I'm need to get something else.

Gives you something to go on.
AO Member

County: Dundee

Member car:

Fiesta Zetec S

If you like the face lift 2.0 GTVs I got mine for for well inside your budget, and it isn't a heap of crap! shop around lots to be had! but i do like the 147
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Forget a 166 for that money, unless your pockets are very deep!
AO Silver Member

Yeah the phase 2 GTV 2.0TS are a right bargain, get one if you can, the first examples are 1999. They have the lovely aluminium dash and are a joy to drive. Most should have a hell of a lot of miles left in them despite the low price.

Make sure Cambelt has been changed every 36,000 miles and regular oil changes (every 12 months/ 12K miles). Check oil level correct - shows whether they have been watching it! Test drive it as rear suspension bushes may need changing.

Check if the black plastic underguard is still there as a lot of cars have them removed due to damage from speed bumps - which leaves the oil sump exposed to further speed bump encounters - you shouldn't be able to see the aluminium sump.

Apart from that you should be fine.

Brat Pack no.8
AO Member

County: Dundee

Member car:

Fiesta Zetec S

Quote:
Originally Posted by petegtv1 View Post
If you like the face lift 2.0 GTVs I got mine for for well inside your budget, and it isn't a heap of crap! shop around lots to be had! but i do like the 147
i would like to correct myself my gtv was nowhere near your budget however you can pick them up for a good price
Graham P

Quote:
Originally Posted by petegtv1 View Post
i would like to correct myself my gtv was nowhere near your budget however you can pick them up for a good price
Was just about to say

AO Silver Member

County: Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderfish View Post
Yeah the phase 2 GTV 2.0TS are a right bargain, get one if you can, the first examples are 1999. They have the lovely aluminium dash and are a joy to drive.
Autumn '98 was the start of the phase two cars.
(Post Link) post #16 of 18 Old 21-05-08 Thread Starter

Wow - thanks for all of your kind words ... I should have mentioned that I have a 6 month old son, so we need a bit of room in the back !!

I've actually got my eye now on a ALFA ROMEO 156 2.0 T SPARK.

I'm off to read up on it a bit more though . . Don't want to rush into anything
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige005 View Post
£1500.00 should get a half decent 97/98 P1 GTV, any decent 2000/1 is not in that price bracket.

Decide which model you want and then read the buying guides on this Forum. All I can say is that the GTV is a great fun car but if you have children then it's not really for you, the back seats are seats in name only and you will get a packed lunch in the boot, not much more than that.
I did manage to squeeze the whole family in an S plate GTV a few years ago. It was a bit of a squeeze though with 2 car seats, but we did manage for the few days I had it. Did a swap with my boss for a long weekend as he needed a bigger car (mine).
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb5691 View Post
I did manage to squeeze the whole family in an S plate GTV a few years ago. It was a bit of a squeeze though with 2 car seats, but we did manage for the few days I had it. Did a swap with my boss for a long weekend as he needed a bigger car (mine).
Did manage to squeeze a total of three people in mine on a regular basis in a car sharing drive to work scheme, I learned a lot of new expletives from the bloke in the back !

Another thought just hit me though, moving the front seat forwards to let the people in the back out whilst the engine is running seems to be tempting fate what with the well reported airbag problem, i.e.warning light coming on if you did this. Fortunately I got away with this, isn't ignorance bliss, but would not do it now. People think I'm mad when they sit in the front passenger and start trying to move the seat and I start shouting at them........... !

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
alfa , buy , romeo , type

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page