Alfa 159 tale of woe!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 85 Old 20-05-08 Thread Starter

Alfa 159 tale of woe!!!

Hi guys

Not been on here for some time following a change of job that keeps me out on the road a lot but thought I'd share this one with you. If you read my previous posts you'll see that I was one of the first 159 owners in the UK...

Unfortunatley my car has spent more time in the garage than on the road having had the following problems:

New diesel injector system
New rear seat
New front and rear drop links
New roof lining
New front supension
New gearbox
New Steering wheel boss
New oil degredation sensor
New gear stick insert
New dashboard insert
New clutch
New rear seat belts
Repaired steering rack

Plus many more minor issues not worth mentioning...

The car was to be bought back by alfa 2 years ago but they rescinded the offer as they felt that there we no significant problems with the car.... what joy!

Anyway, driving at 60mph on the M6 yesterday, the water pump seized, snapping the timing belt and obviously causing significant engine damage. The car was moved from the lane it was in - there was no hard shoulder, and has now been moved to Mangoletsi's in knutsford.

Guess what - Alfa UK still think there are no significant problems with the car and there is no case for compensation...

Watch this space - and the press!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Re: Alfa 159 tale of woe!!!

This is pretty depressing stuff, will ARUK ever get their act together ?

Best of luck with this, with all those problems I think I would have been reaching for the razor blades.
AO Silver Member

County: Bristol

Member car:

Alfa GT

That is absolutely terrible, I am shocked by Alfa's response.

Does anyone have the email address for the head honcho at Alfa HQ for spiderlover to contact?

Your 159 sounds like a lemon
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Oh dear

PM me if you need any advice re rejecting the 159. Mine 1st 159 was successfully rejected for brake failure and inability to repair major safety issues.

Did you buy the car originally from Mangos Has it been serviced there and all the problems with the car dealt with by them If so your rejection has to go to them and ARUK has to support them in sorting out a replacement vehicle.

I suggest solicitors 1st and press later. You'll find ARUK and dealers hate press being involved and they'll go one of two ways. Either, theyll shut up shop and fight the case in court (read costing you a bundle) or everything will be sorted in 2 weeks flat.

Do you have a loan car in the meantime

-Keep It Moist-
I'm experiencing deja vu and amnesia at the same time... I think I've forgotten this before.
145 QV->156 1.8->166 3.0->156SW 2.4->166 3.0 V6->156 2.4 20v->2.0Spider->159 2.4->159 2.4->159 TI 2.4 Modifica->Merc C-Class->Jag XJ->Boxster S->BMW 335d XD ->BMW 440i->Merc AMG

AO Silver Member

If you need names of contacts etc @ ARUK, please feel free to PM me.

Im in the process of rejecting my new Spider, has been on going since February and process is glacial at the best of times, although it looks as though good things are on the horizon for me.

Good luck, you will need it.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Awful - no other word for it

Member car:

156 selespeed

Good luck with Magnoletsi's they're from Cheshire. That says it all. tried to buy a 159 from them but walked out after 45 mins of inattention
(Post Link) post #8 of 85 Old 21-05-08 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses guys. I've already had Christopher Nicholl involved to no avail and I'm not sure if I can actually go any higher than him!

What I've asked them to do now is buy me out of the finance arrangement - the car (if it had no problems) would be worth about £12,000 and there is about £13,000 outstanding on the finance. It will only cost them about £1,000 to buy me out but they are digging their heels in and saying they do not want to lose a customer. I've been loyal to Alfa for many years having a 147, 156 and 159 in the past. To be honest their attitude has been apalling so far and all they have offered me is £250 worth of Alfa Vouchers!!!!

If that's not an insult I don't know what is.

I'm expecting a call from customer relations shortly and if I don't get a positive response, there are already a number of journalists circling to take up the story.....

Keep watching this one - I'll post an update as soon as I get a response!
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Time to contact the press methinks.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

You have had a very high number of serious problems.
I would get a solicitor onto the case, to be honest I would have done that quite a bit ago.

I'm amazed with the attitude of Alfa in that they don't want to lose a customer, surely with the list of problems that you had that would get them off their a*ses and try and look after the customer.

If you ever get sorted then I wouldn't get another Alfa for a few years, give yourself a bit of a break, no brand is worth that sort of hassle or stress.

It's about time the goverment brought out the lemon laws like in the states.
I can't imagine why Alfa are going back into America if they produce cars like this, they will soon be bankrupt.
Nev

Definitely go to the motoring press.

They had their chance to fix things and they obviously haven't.

(Post Link) post #12 of 85 Old 13-06-08 Thread Starter

Hi chaps

Time for an update on the story. It looks like ARUK are finally taking the hint after I've got the press involved, however the plot has thickened in relation to the car itself.

After picking the car up after the engine had been rebuilt following the water pump/cam belt problem, I only managed to get a week out of it before it there was an intense smell of fuel from under the bonnet followed by smoke pouring out from under the hood. This was 2 weeks ago and the car was once again returned to Mangolestsi... It turned out that the diesel injecctors had failed (AGAIN!!!!) and were spraying fuel all over the show.

OK, they then had the car for 4 days and fitted a new injector system (bear in mind this is the second time the injection system has been replaced)... I picked the car up again last week and jokingly said to Paul (the service manager and a great guy!!!) that I would see him again soon....

I managed two miles before the engine failed again. I managed to turn round and got back to Mangos in limp mode.

The car has now been there for a further week while the problem has been investigated. It appears that there is a known problem (?!) witht the manifold flaps and these have failed... The engine is in pieces at Mangos and parts are on order - it appears that they are made of that new alloy called unobtanium and I have no idea when I'll get the car back!!!!

So, all in all after 35,000 miles, the car has been back to the dealership on no less than 15 occasions - do you think I can now start to lose patience???

Anyway, I've now been contacted by Zena Jones who has replied to a rather snotty email I have sent to Chris Nicoll and I am hoping that I will get some sort of closure today....

You guys will be the first to know!
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennfhunt View Post
Good luck with Magnoletsi's they're from Cheshire. That says it all. tried to buy a 159 from them but walked out after 45 mins of inattention
A rather strange post

@spiderlover - were you at Mangos 2 Saturdays ago

I hope you get the 159 back on the road but I also hope you can reject it - I don't think I'd want it back
(Post Link) post #14 of 85 Old 13-06-08 Thread Starter

Yep, that was me stomping around looking like a bear with a sore head...

I've got my own mug next to the coffee machine now!

I did reject the car at the beginning (about 18 months ago after I made a real stink at the Alfa experience day at Tatton Park) and it was even returned to the dealership while a replacement was arranged. This offer was rescinded after the car was inspected by ARUK as they said all the problems had been fixed. I think the rest of the story shows they were wrong..........
PAJ
AO Silver Member

Garage

What an unbelievably bad experience you've had with the car. As dpat says, if it was me I really don't think I'd ever want the car back again. Good luck getting this insane situation resolved.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderlover View Post
Yep, that was me stomping around looking like a bear with a sore head...

I've got my own mug next to the coffee machine now!

I did reject the car at the beginning (about 18 months ago after I made a real stink at the Alfa experience day at Tatton Park) and it was even returned to the dealership while a replacement was arranged. This offer was rescinded after the car was inspected by ARUK as they said all the problems had been fixed. I think the rest of the story shows they were wrong..........
I saw you mate - you were sat in a spider at one stage (The Alfa bug, eh )

Best of luck
AO Platinum Member

Spider Lover - a tale very similar to my ongoing woes.

Mangoletsi have my car right now and carrying out similar works, 10 days on.

This is my 2nd 159, after the 1st was replaced by ARUK. The 2nd one is actually worse than the 1st!!

One of my threads is here - its a long thread, but if you go 4 or 5 pages from the end and read from there, you'll be in the picture.

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/gener...d-or-what.html

I would suggest rejection, eveything in writing, dates of breakdowns, list of problems etc and maybe speak to a solicitor like I have.

Put the ball firmly in Mangoletsi/ARUK's court.

Did you originally purchase the car from Mangos When With Fiat finance or out right purchase It does make a difference.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Autoexpress have always done me proud when it has come to my battles with Alfa.

Your story makes shocking reading. Perhaps drive it into ARUK's main reception without first opening the doors. That should get their attention
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
Did you originally purchase the car from Mangos When With Fiat finance or out right purchase It does make a difference.
How does finance/outright purchase make a difference? just for in the future, you never know

Ahh finance you need to take the finance company to court

Chris
AO Platinum Member

On some finance, either they won't allow you to reject a car OR there are heavy penalties if you end the payment term early.

Remember, IF you finance a car it's the finance house that has ownership of the car and you need their permission if you reject it.

Fiat finance, 'seem' to have direct links with ARUK and are able to give more weight to a rejection - I know of a few cases on here where this has happened.

If you buy the car outright, you CAN find yourself with a very awkward dealer who refuses to budge on the rejection. In this case you may have to get legal and employ a solicitor if you're not too familiar with forcing the dealers hand - an additional cost to you.

It aint easy - believe me - I'm getting an expert now (Alfa, Merc)
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

With finance (HP) you get added protection. I once withheld payments on my Stilo after a load of hassle with the clutch, aircon & the dealer. I wrote to them (Fiat Finance) first. Amazing how quick the issues got rectified after that

The point that upsets me the most with stories such as this s why should we, the customer, throw loads of our hard earned at our beloved cars only to be treated with utter contempt by some dealers and ARUK

No wonder folk think you should be in the funny farm when you tell them what you drive

Simon

Daily Driver FIAT Panda Cross Twinair Stunning Giulia 115 Spider Series 4 fine weather toy

Wife's Daily Brilliant Toyota GT86

AROC South Wales Section Secretary
(Post Link) post #23 of 85 Old 13-06-08 Thread Starter

I all fairness I won't have a word said against Mangos - they've been great since I've been using them and are funding a hire car for the duration of the probems. I was offered a crappy little motor by Alfa Assitance and after a bit of a fuss, Mangos have arranged for me to use an Astra Coupe Cabrio so at least I'm getting a tan on the top of my head.....

The car was purchased from Caledonia in Warrington - they subsequently went out of business

I then started to have the work done at Reg Vardy in Stockport - this is where I bought my 156 from (never ever had a problem with that one.....) and they have subsequenlty lost their franchise...

That's why I'm now using Mangos.

The car was purchased through Black Horse rather than Fiat Finance and when I told them about the problems they simply pointed out the penalty clauses under the finance agreement and advised me to go to ARUK as the original dealer no longer existed!

I work in Slough quite a lot and as for driving it through their front doors, I'd love to but I'm not sure the car would make it that far
AO Member

County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

Rosso/Tan GTV V6

wow, this is almost unbelievable (literally!)... hope you get it sorted soon. Thought the 159/Brera/Spider were meant to be reliable compared to the older Tipo based models... can't see me ever changing from the GTV if they're like this though
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderlover View Post
I all fairness I won't have a word said against Mangos - they've been great since I've been using them and are funding a hire car for the duration of the probems. I was offered a crappy little motor by Alfa Assitance and after a bit of a fuss, Mangos have arranged for me to use an Astra Coupe Cabrio so at least I'm getting a tan on the top of my head.....

The car was purchased from Caledonia in Warrington - they subsequently went out of business

I then started to have the work done at Reg Vardy in Stockport - this is where I bought my 156 from (never ever had a problem with that one.....) and they have subsequenlty lost their franchise...

That's why I'm now using Mangos.

The car was purchased through Black Horse rather than Fiat Finance and when I told them about the problems they simply pointed out the penalty clauses under the finance agreement and advised me to go to ARUK as the original dealer no longer existed!

I work in Slough quite a lot and as for driving it through their front doors, I'd love to but I'm not sure the car would make it that far
yes - I can't fault Mangos either (Paul or Mark) but Gordon wasn't the most helpful and tried his best to wriggle...

Lucky you with the Cabrio - I have a lousy Focus and even though Ive been promised an upgrade, nothing has arrived

Good luck with ARUK - sounds like a battle is brewing - I'm not sure their case is very strong now. How much do you have in writing from them Is it all one way traffic from you to them

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
159 , alfa , tale , woe

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page