Does my 156 JTD really handle that badly ... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 20-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Does my 156 JTD really handle that badly ...

Last edited by 156Chris; 10-12-08 at 14:56.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: Does my 156 JTD really handle that badly ...

My 156 is the 1.9 JTDm Sport, I thought mine was supposed to come with the same sports suspension as the twinny Veloce but it wallows like there's no tomorrow. No way does this car have sports suspension, certainly nothing like the twinny's! It's one thing that I don't like about the car, but I certainly am not going to fork out a few hundred quid for new suspension... Is everyone else's diesel like this???
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

156 GTA

The difference between a twinny on sport suspension and a 2.4 JTD on std suspension is like night and day for agility.

The standard suspension is comfier on bad roads but both cars damping could be improved, one too harsh, and the other too soft.
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammered View Post
....I certainly am not going to fork out a few hundred quid for new suspension...
Few grand more like

Get the FSD's and fit some thicker ARB's, you wont be able to stop driving her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laptop_Matt View Post
Few grand more like

Get the FSD's and fit some thicker ARB's, you wont be able to stop driving her
If that's how much it costs, I'd rather get rid of the car and buy a different one if I had to have a stiffer suspension!!! Sorry, but it's just not worth the price... I've got better things to spend my money on... I don't see the point in wasting money buying a new suspension when the old one still works, crap albeit, but it still works... I'd rather spend a few grand on a holiday for the family, I'd get much more enjoyment out of seeing my kids enjoy themselves than driving any car...

I figured out a long time ago that spending money on a car changing bits and bobs for 'upgrades' is a complete waste of money. You might as well just go out and give your money to people in the street...
(Post Link) post #6 of 16 Old 20-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Last edited by 156Chris; 10-12-08 at 14:56.

I spend well over 500 hrs a year in mine also, but I still can't justify spending that much on extra's which won't increase the value of the car by more then a couple hundred quid... I bought mine for the same reasons as you have. I spend most of the time travelling up and down the motorways, so I don't really need to have stiff suspension. But I wish that Alfa hadn't have spec'ed the car up with so-called 'sports suspension', when it's no where near. Really they should have been had up for mis-selling, as I would rate the current setup nearly as bad a a piccaso's...
AO Silver Member

Garage

I see your point, some people just want a car to get to A-B, worrying about the residual value of the car (loosing money on it), how economical it is etc. If i thought like this i would have bought a mondeo.

I don't expect to make very little, if anything back from the suspension mods on mine but i can say that the money was well spent when i drive it.

Think how much happier you would be in the 500 hours you spend in your car if it drove exactly how you wanted it to.

I do drive the car how I want to... But as I've said I'd be more happier spending that kind of money on my family or something more benificial to my family, then on a car which I will only be keeping for 3-4years... I don't pay out £7.5k on a car only to spend another couple to enable it go round bends better...

Like I've said, my only gripe is the fact that Alfa state that the car is fitted with sports suspension, when it is clear that it is not!
AO Silver Member

County: Bristol

Member car:

Alfa GT

My first 156 was a 1999 2.4 JTD, and whilst it did have a bit of body roll, it was fully controllable and I quite liked being on the edge

I later had a 2005 2.0 JTS Veloce and the suspension on that was noticeably firmer, but for some reason there was something that really made me smile in the 2.4 JTD (with non sports suspension)...could be because it was my first Alfa
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Quote:
Like I've said, my only gripe is the fact that Alfa state that the car is fitted with sports suspension, when it is clear that it is not!
I can't seem to find the spec for a 156 1.9 JTDm Sport. Is this a dealer special? As far as I can see, the only models with sports suspension are the Veloce and TI.
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Garage

Quote:
Did you not test drive the car before you bought it? Surely a quick drive round a couple of bends would have made you aware of any awful handling?
AO Silver Member

County: -

My car has sport suspension (know idea what make it is as it came with the car) and i'm not sure i like it all that much. The ride is very hard and although there is no roll when i chuck it round a bend i do miss the comfort on normal runs. I'm sure one day my spine will get compressed as i hit a slight rut in the road.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaspeed View Post
"...i'm not sure i like it all that much..
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

A TS 156 with sportpack is probably the best sorted handling wise of any 156. ( I can't comment on the GTA as I haven't yet driven one)

Adding a diesel engine (or a V6) that is heavier, and having standard non sport suspension will dramatically affect the handling.

Even a V6/JTD with sportpack suspension feels understeery and underdamped compared to a TS 156 with its lighter engine.

Last edited by symon; 22-05-08 at 15:54.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch166 View Post
I can't seem to find the spec for a 156 1.9 JTDm Sport. Is this a dealer special? As far as I can see, the only models with sports suspension are the Veloce and TI.

From what I've seen it's a late limited edition that came out towards the end of the 156's lifespan. Only came out in diesel form (I think...). Really it was a standard Veloce, extra's that I've found out about were the Ti type steering wheel with stereo controls, 17" alloys (the standard types, not the nice ones) and a different shade of grey for the leather interior...

I thought it would have the same setup suspension wise, but it doesn't look as though it's lower than a standard 156 either...

Maybe it's just me getting my info wrong in the first place...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
156 , badly , handle , jtd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page