My wife's confession....the truth is out. :( - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

8Likes
  • 1 Post By 130 rosso
  • 1 Post By MalcQV
  • 1 Post By cue2
  • 1 Post By ronan
  • 1 Post By symon
  • 1 Post By misterflaps
  • 2 Post By Pud237

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 13-06-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

My wife's confession....the truth is out. :(

Anne sat me down today and 'fessed up.....I suspected it all along but she didn't have the heart to tell me....she said it might come as a shock to me...but all good things have to come to an end.

She prefers my 156 to her 159 !!! It took her 2 years...I knew it after a few weeks.

She says everything about the 159 is better than the 156......but the drive...it is boringly gutless (no surprise there it's the 1.9jts)...far too heavy....it's no fun....and that's the game changer.

All my fault....I had a SAAB 9-3 and Anne had the 156...but this 159 came up too good an opportunity to miss...decided to be a two Alfa family and the SAAB went.

At least she has got that off her chest.....the ungrateful harlot

But she is correct...the 156 is much more fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
I always wanted to like the 159. I rented one in Italy for a couple of weeks when visiting friends in Tuscany and he still reminds me how it hardly left it’s parking space the whole time. It has a sense of occasion but soon becomes a 156 in a fat suit.
AO Member

County: Cornwall

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2

I tried a 3.2 159 a few years back but it felt gutless & sounded naff compared to the 3 litre GTV I owned at the time. I've never fancied one of any engine variant since.
symon likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Whilst we're being honest - I much prefer the drive of my old 147 to my current 159 - the 159 is much better looking, much more powerful - better built... maybe, I always thought the 147 was pretty well put together.

I bought a diesel at precisely the wrong time (from a commercial perspective), and now my commute has changed, I find I don't really need a diesel- I've just got a lot tied up in the 159 that I can't get rid yet.
(Post Link) post #5 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

The drive in my 1.9 clatterbox GT was better than the 2.4 clatterbox 159 I had after it.

From the front the GT looked a bit crap but the 159 the best looking front of any car ever. The dash in the 159 was light years ahead of the plasticky thing in the GT

The 159 still drove well and other than at idle (when it sounded as **** as any 4 - pot diesel did) the 5 pot sounded very good under acceleration.

The 1.9 diesel IMHO is not a good engine even in my GT. Petrol all the way I can't imagine it pulling a 159 about
73GTVJim likes this.

I'm not going anywhere, I'm just going.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.
(Post Link) post #6 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

Think of the gear-lever as a oar!
MalcQV likes this.
(Post Link) post #7 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
You mean it's a tad stiff ??
MalcQV likes this.
(Post Link) post #8 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

I have officially swapped cars with my wife....she is now the proud owner of the 156....and i will use the 159 for commuting to work which I did today.
Jaysus...it's soooooo dull.

The 156 will be the main driver.
(Post Link) post #9 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronan View Post
No, you have to keep changing gear to keep it going!
(Post Link) post #10 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronan View Post
Quote:
No, you have to keep changing gear to keep it going!
(Post Link) post #11 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
I do like the styling of the 159, and very nearly bought a 2.4 diesel.

But in the end I never did get around to buying one. Yet.

They say that they are heavy, but compared to my BMW 335 cabrio they are a lightweight at around 300kg less...
MalcQV likes this.
(Post Link) post #12 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Your missus obviously has excellent taste in cars I've had 2 x 156's and she's right.

And it's one big reason I bought my 166 instead of paying a bit more for a newer 159 - I felt an instant connection with the 166, still do. It's a special car. I didn't feel the 159 was, desperate though I wanted it to be.
(Post Link) post #13 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: -
Garage

Member car:

2006 159 2.2jts

I think the 159 is a head-over-heart Alfa:
When I bought my Alfa last year (I will say at this point that it's my first, but definitely not last one!) I couldn't decide between a 156 and 159; the you-only-live-once side of me favoured the 156 with its better reputation as a driver's car, but they seem to need more maintainence (suspension and cambelts etc.) which is something that I'm happy to do myself, but struggle with time, facilities and, occasionally, motivation. The 159's reputation suggested it is less fragile but not as much fun, so the lazy time-strapped practical side of me was leaning that way. I will also point out that it was the you-only-live once side that wanted an Alfa in the first place!
When the time came to commit to buying something there was an ideal-for-me spec 156 (1.8 TS, original shape, revised interior) at a dealer and a 159 2.2 JTS private sale with 2 other Alfas (a Giulia and a GTV, fact fans) on the seller's drive. I phoned the dealer first, but they could tell me nothing about the service history - crucially the cambelt, I'd have to drive several hundred miles to get home with it which would have been excruciating in a belt of unknown age. So Practical Me won the battle and I went for the 159.
I absolutely love it to bits and do not regret buying it at all, it is easily one of my favourite drives ever (previous highlights are Peugeot 405 & 406, Mercedes A160-the ones that fell over, handled like a go-cart and seriously good fun! and 300SL, which I still have) and I am genuinely disappointed when I hear of someone not enjoying their 159, but do wonder if I'd feel the same if I'd come to it after a 156 instead of the more ordinary fare I've been used with....
MalcQV likes this.

If you start crying during a flood you're only adding to the problem
(Post Link) post #14 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterflaps View Post
I think the 159 is a head-over-heart Alfa:
When I bought my Alfa last year (I will say at this point that it's my first, but definitely not last one!) I couldn't decide between a 156 and 159; the you-only-live-once side of me favoured the 156 with its better reputation as a driver's car, but they seem to need more maintainence (suspension and cambelts etc.) which is something that I'm happy to do myself, but struggle with time, facilities and, occasionally, motivation. The 159's reputation suggested it is less fragile but not as much fun, so the lazy time-strapped practical side of me was leaning that way. I will also point out that it was the you-only-live once side that wanted an Alfa in the first place!
When the time came to commit to buying something there was an ideal-for-me spec 156 (1.8 TS, original shape, revised interior) at a dealer and a 159 2.2 JTS private sale with 2 other Alfas (a Giulia and a GTV, fact fans) on the seller's drive. I phoned the dealer first, but they could tell me nothing about the service history - crucially the cambelt, I'd have to drive several hundred miles to get home with it which would have been excruciating in a belt of unknown age. So Practical Me won the battle and I went for the 159.
I absolutely love it to bits and do not regret buying it at all, it is easily one of my favourite drives ever (previous highlights are Peugeot 405 & 406, Mercedes A160-the ones that fell over, handled like a go-cart and seriously good fun! and 300SL, which I still have) and I am genuinely disappointed when I hear of someone not enjoying their 159, but do wonder if I'd feel the same if I'd come to it after a 156 instead of the more ordinary fare I've been used with....
Spot on....we have had three 156s...1.6,1.8 and 2.0 and loved them all even the slightly underpowered 1.6....just gave it more revs.
Fun cars to drive.

I desperately want to love the 159...perhaps it was just an impulse buy that we didn't need....Anne had the 156 and she wanted to "upgrade"...i was more than happy to get her "downgraded" 156.
My wife be happy driving virtually anything...but like me she fell in love with Alfa Romeo...well, the 156s.

I think the era of 147s,GTs and 156s are our thing and probably expected the next set of Alfas to be the same.

I wish we had just kept the SAAB 9-3 1.8t and let Anne drive that....it was a powerful wee car....and I would get one again.

But hey ho....we live and learn.

I shall persevere with the 159 Sherman tank until it blows up.

Unless that is another 156 appears on the scene
(Post Link) post #15 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Late model 156s have been excellent buys for a few years now. 05, 55 plate cars, without moon-mileage, they can be had usually for as little as a grand, sometimes lower if you are happen to bid on an ebay auction. The 150hp 1.9 16v diesel is a peach and performs just as well as the old 2.0 TS did, with much better economy. OK not so much fizz, and they are a bit softer on the suspension than an early Sportpack or Veloce was back in the early days. But without spending big money they can be made into fantastic handling & fun yet sensible & reliable commuters. Persevering with a car that you don't like all that much doesn't sound like fun, but even more so when the sort of car you really want can be had cheaply and easily, at least for now. They are dwindling away slowly but surely.
symon and Defonsecca1 like this.
(Post Link) post #16 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Late model 156s have been excellent buys for a few years now. 05, 55 plate cars, without moon-mileage, they can be had usually for as little as a grand, sometimes lower if you are happen to bid on an ebay auction. The 150hp 1.9 16v diesel is a peach and performs just as well as the old 2.0 TS did, with much better economy. OK not so much fizz, and they are a bit softer on the suspension than an early Sportpack or Veloce was back in the early days. But without spending big money they can be made into fantastic handling & fun yet sensible & reliable commuters. Persevering with a car that you don't like all that much doesn't sound like fun, but even more so when the sort of car you really want can be had cheaply and easily, at least for now. They are dwindling away slowly but surely.
+1. And I can vouch for it - I bought a 115k miles 156 1.9JTD Veloce off Pud237, did about 18k miles in it & he bought it back off me. Totally agree - it was cheap to maintain, lovely drive, reliable & great fun. I still look back on it with great fondness.
(Post Link) post #17 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterflaps View Post
I am genuinely disappointed when I hear of someone not enjoying their 159, but do wonder if I'd feel the same if I'd come to it after a 156 instead of the more ordinary fare I've been used with....
I agree completely, and whilst I don't enjoy it as much as the 147, I still can't think of anything else for the same age, price and spec that I'd rather drive than my 159... well maybe a 147 Ducati Corse
(Post Link) post #18 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
The 159 is good at its job, which is long distance motorways and A-roads. Trying to punt a 159 down country lanes or twisty stuff is frustrating.
(Post Link) post #19 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

I went from a 156 2.0JTS Lusso to a 159 1.8TBi Ti Sportwagon (with Lusso suspension at the front). I agree with much of the comments about the 159 being more solid. I waited for the right 159 having done my research - I suspect the engine (and it's weight/torque etc) can affect the handling and whilst I enjoyed my 156, the 159 is better in all aspects. Maybe it's because I'm older, or because the electric, heated sport seats hold me better, but I would say it's as good a drive. I've not enjoyed a couple of long journeys but that has been more due to middle-aged spread of me than the car!

My current commute is relatively short (though that may change in the coming months) but I find the TBi engine addictive and better than my JTS, even though I'd had it remapped. I don't feel the need to on the TBi. Wouldn't change back, but I could do with a little more space in the back from time to time.
(Post Link) post #20 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

To be fair, the '59 was a leap up-market for Alfa.. whereas the '56 was the last of the relatively lightweight/flimsy "Tipo" family. I thik the difference is just noticeable because of the time-span between the two generations. If Alfa had made a metaphorical 157/158 then there wouldn't be such a great contrast.

Ralf S.
(Post Link) post #21 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

The car swap didn't last long....I have flipped back to the 156...Anne is happy enough driving the 159 as long as it's just short journeys to the shops,commute etc...

Anything else and she is taking the 156....harmony has returned to the household.

But by God I missed her.

The 156 of course

Wonder if I should celebrate our reunion by giving her a name ??

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
confessionthe , truth , wife

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page