My wife's confession....the truth is out. :( - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

 8Likes
  • 1 Post By 130 rosso
  • 1 Post By MalcQV
  • 1 Post By cue2
  • 1 Post By ronan
  • 1 Post By symon
  • 1 Post By misterflaps
  • 2 Post By Pud237
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 13-06-19 Thread Starter
Status: 6 YEARS LYMPHOMA FREE!! :)
AO Silver Member
 
ronan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Belfast
County: Down
Posts: 4,813

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

My wife's confession....the truth is out. :(

Anne sat me down today and 'fessed up.....I suspected it all along but she didn't have the heart to tell me....she said it might come as a shock to me...but all good things have to come to an end.

She prefers my 156 to her 159 !!! It took her 2 years...I knew it after a few weeks.

She says everything about the 159 is better than the 156......but the drive...it is boringly gutless (no surprise there it's the 1.9jts)...far too heavy....it's no fun....and that's the game changer.

All my fault....I had a SAAB 9-3 and Anne had the 156...but this 159 came up too good an opportunity to miss...decided to be a two Alfa family and the SAAB went.

At least she has got that off her chest.....the ungrateful harlot

But she is correct...the 156 is much more fun.
ronan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: Petrol head
AO Platinum Member
 
cue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 30,863
I always wanted to like the 159. I rented one in Italy for a couple of weeks when visiting friends in Tuscany and he still reminds me how it hardly left it’s parking space the whole time. It has a sense of occasion but soon becomes a 156 in a fat suit.
cue2 is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cornwall
Posts: 124

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2

I tried a 3.2 159 a few years back but it felt gutless & sounded naff compared to the 3 litre GTV I owned at the time. I've never fancied one of any engine variant since.
symon likes this.
130 rosso is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
amfalconer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hampshire
Posts: 2,508

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Whilst we're being honest - I much prefer the drive of my old 147 to my current 159 - the 159 is much better looking, much more powerful - better built... maybe, I always thought the 147 was pretty well put together.

I bought a diesel at precisely the wrong time (from a commercial perspective), and now my commute has changed, I find I don't really need a diesel- I've just got a lot tied up in the 159 that I can't get rid yet.
amfalconer is offline  
(Post Link) post #5 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
MalcQV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 13,439

Member car:

Office Chair.

The drive in my 1.9 clatterbox GT was better than the 2.4 clatterbox 159 I had after it.

From the front the GT looked a bit crap but the 159 the best looking front of any car ever. The dash in the 159 was light years ahead of the plasticky thing in the GT

The 159 still drove well and other than at idle (when it sounded as **** as any 4 - pot diesel did) the 5 pot sounded very good under acceleration.

The 1.9 diesel IMHO is not a good engine even in my GT. Petrol all the way I can't imagine it pulling a 159 about
73GTVJim likes this.

I'm not going anywhere, I'm just going.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.
MalcQV is offline  
(Post Link) post #6 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Status: Petrol head
AO Platinum Member
 
cue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 30,863
Think of the gear-lever as a oar!
MalcQV likes this.
cue2 is offline  
(Post Link) post #7 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Status: 6 YEARS LYMPHOMA FREE!! :)
AO Silver Member
 
ronan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Belfast
County: Down
Posts: 4,813

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
Think of the gear-lever as a oar!
You mean it's a tad stiff ??
MalcQV likes this.
ronan is offline  
(Post Link) post #8 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Status: 6 YEARS LYMPHOMA FREE!! :)
AO Silver Member
 
ronan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Belfast
County: Down
Posts: 4,813

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

I have officially swapped cars with my wife....she is now the proud owner of the 156....and i will use the 159 for commuting to work which I did today.
Jaysus...it's soooooo dull.

The 156 will be the main driver.
ronan is offline  
(Post Link) post #9 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Status: Petrol head
AO Platinum Member
 
cue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 30,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronan View Post
You mean it's a tad stiff ??
No, you have to keep changing gear to keep it going!
cue2 is offline  
(Post Link) post #10 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
MalcQV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 13,439

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
Think of the gear-lever as a oar!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronan View Post
You mean it's a tad stiff ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
No, you have to keep changing gear to keep it going!
MalcQV is offline  
(Post Link) post #11 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Status: zzzzzzzz
AO Platinum Member
 
symon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 36,848
I do like the styling of the 159, and very nearly bought a 2.4 diesel.

But in the end I never did get around to buying one. Yet.


They say that they are heavy, but compared to my BMW 335 cabrio they are a lightweight at around 300kg less...
MalcQV likes this.
symon is offline  
(Post Link) post #12 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Status: -
AO Member
 
Defonsecca1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Chorley
County: Lancashire
Posts: 136
Your missus obviously has excellent taste in cars I've had 2 x 156's and she's right.

And it's one big reason I bought my 166 instead of paying a bit more for a newer 159 - I felt an instant connection with the 166, still do. It's a special car. I didn't feel the 159 was, desperate though I wanted it to be.
Defonsecca1 is offline  
(Post Link) post #13 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Status: -
AO Member
 
misterflaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Orkney
County: -
Posts: 67
Garage

Member car:

2006 159 2.2jts

I think the 159 is a head-over-heart Alfa:
When I bought my Alfa last year (I will say at this point that it's my first, but definitely not last one!) I couldn't decide between a 156 and 159; the you-only-live-once side of me favoured the 156 with its better reputation as a driver's car, but they seem to need more maintainence (suspension and cambelts etc.) which is something that I'm happy to do myself, but struggle with time, facilities and, occasionally, motivation. The 159's reputation suggested it is less fragile but not as much fun, so the lazy time-strapped practical side of me was leaning that way. I will also point out that it was the you-only-live once side that wanted an Alfa in the first place!
When the time came to commit to buying something there was an ideal-for-me spec 156 (1.8 TS, original shape, revised interior) at a dealer and a 159 2.2 JTS private sale with 2 other Alfas (a Giulia and a GTV, fact fans) on the seller's drive. I phoned the dealer first, but they could tell me nothing about the service history - crucially the cambelt, I'd have to drive several hundred miles to get home with it which would have been excruciating in a belt of unknown age. So Practical Me won the battle and I went for the 159.
I absolutely love it to bits and do not regret buying it at all, it is easily one of my favourite drives ever (previous highlights are Peugeot 405 & 406, Mercedes A160-the ones that fell over, handled like a go-cart and seriously good fun! and 300SL, which I still have) and I am genuinely disappointed when I hear of someone not enjoying their 159, but do wonder if I'd feel the same if I'd come to it after a 156 instead of the more ordinary fare I've been used with....
MalcQV likes this.

If you start crying during a flood you're only adding to the problem
misterflaps is offline  
(Post Link) post #14 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Status: 6 YEARS LYMPHOMA FREE!! :)
AO Silver Member
 
ronan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Belfast
County: Down
Posts: 4,813

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterflaps View Post
I think the 159 is a head-over-heart Alfa:
When I bought my Alfa last year (I will say at this point that it's my first, but definitely not last one!) I couldn't decide between a 156 and 159; the you-only-live-once side of me favoured the 156 with its better reputation as a driver's car, but they seem to need more maintainence (suspension and cambelts etc.) which is something that I'm happy to do myself, but struggle with time, facilities and, occasionally, motivation. The 159's reputation suggested it is less fragile but not as much fun, so the lazy time-strapped practical side of me was leaning that way. I will also point out that it was the you-only-live once side that wanted an Alfa in the first place!
When the time came to commit to buying something there was an ideal-for-me spec 156 (1.8 TS, original shape, revised interior) at a dealer and a 159 2.2 JTS private sale with 2 other Alfas (a Giulia and a GTV, fact fans) on the seller's drive. I phoned the dealer first, but they could tell me nothing about the service history - crucially the cambelt, I'd have to drive several hundred miles to get home with it which would have been excruciating in a belt of unknown age. So Practical Me won the battle and I went for the 159.
I absolutely love it to bits and do not regret buying it at all, it is easily one of my favourite drives ever (previous highlights are Peugeot 405 & 406, Mercedes A160-the ones that fell over, handled like a go-cart and seriously good fun! and 300SL, which I still have) and I am genuinely disappointed when I hear of someone not enjoying their 159, but do wonder if I'd feel the same if I'd come to it after a 156 instead of the more ordinary fare I've been used with....
Spot on....we have had three 156s...1.6,1.8 and 2.0 and loved them all even the slightly underpowered 1.6....just gave it more revs.
Fun cars to drive.

I desperately want to love the 159...perhaps it was just an impulse buy that we didn't need....Anne had the 156 and she wanted to "upgrade"...i was more than happy to get her "downgraded" 156.
My wife be happy driving virtually anything...but like me she fell in love with Alfa Romeo...well, the 156s.

I think the era of 147s,GTs and 156s are our thing and probably expected the next set of Alfas to be the same.

I wish we had just kept the SAAB 9-3 1.8t and let Anne drive that....it was a powerful wee car....and I would get one again.

But hey ho....we live and learn.

I shall persevere with the 159 Sherman tank until it blows up.

Unless that is another 156 appears on the scene
ronan is offline  
(Post Link) post #15 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,737
Late model 156s have been excellent buys for a few years now. 05, 55 plate cars, without moon-mileage, they can be had usually for as little as a grand, sometimes lower if you are happen to bid on an ebay auction. The 150hp 1.9 16v diesel is a peach and performs just as well as the old 2.0 TS did, with much better economy. OK not so much fizz, and they are a bit softer on the suspension than an early Sportpack or Veloce was back in the early days. But without spending big money they can be made into fantastic handling & fun yet sensible & reliable commuters. Persevering with a car that you don't like all that much doesn't sound like fun, but even more so when the sort of car you really want can be had cheaply and easily, at least for now. They are dwindling away slowly but surely.
symon and Defonsecca1 like this.
Pud237 is offline  
(Post Link) post #16 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Status: -
AO Member
 
Defonsecca1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Chorley
County: Lancashire
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Late model 156s have been excellent buys for a few years now. 05, 55 plate cars, without moon-mileage, they can be had usually for as little as a grand, sometimes lower if you are happen to bid on an ebay auction. The 150hp 1.9 16v diesel is a peach and performs just as well as the old 2.0 TS did, with much better economy. OK not so much fizz, and they are a bit softer on the suspension than an early Sportpack or Veloce was back in the early days. But without spending big money they can be made into fantastic handling & fun yet sensible & reliable commuters. Persevering with a car that you don't like all that much doesn't sound like fun, but even more so when the sort of car you really want can be had cheaply and easily, at least for now. They are dwindling away slowly but surely.
+1. And I can vouch for it - I bought a 115k miles 156 1.9JTD Veloce off Pud237, did about 18k miles in it & he bought it back off me. Totally agree - it was cheap to maintain, lovely drive, reliable & great fun. I still look back on it with great fondness.
Defonsecca1 is offline  
(Post Link) post #17 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
amfalconer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hampshire
Posts: 2,508

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterflaps View Post
I am genuinely disappointed when I hear of someone not enjoying their 159, but do wonder if I'd feel the same if I'd come to it after a 156 instead of the more ordinary fare I've been used with....
I agree completely, and whilst I don't enjoy it as much as the 147, I still can't think of anything else for the same age, price and spec that I'd rather drive than my 159... well maybe a 147 Ducati Corse
amfalconer is offline  
(Post Link) post #18 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago
rxe
Status: Busso
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Berkshire
Posts: 4,051
The 159 is good at its job, which is long distance motorways and A-roads. Trying to punt a 159 down country lanes or twisty stuff is frustrating.
rxe is offline  
(Post Link) post #19 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Status: New job, location new car :-)
AO Silver Member
 
AmicusPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Nottinghamshire
Posts: 3,452

Member car:

159 SW TBi

I went from a 156 2.0JTS Lusso to a 159 1.8TBi Ti Sportwagon (with Lusso suspension at the front). I agree with much of the comments about the 159 being more solid. I waited for the right 159 having done my research - I suspect the engine (and it's weight/torque etc) can affect the handling and whilst I enjoyed my 156, the 159 is better in all aspects. Maybe it's because I'm older, or because the electric, heated sport seats hold me better, but I would say it's as good a drive. I've not enjoyed a couple of long journeys but that has been more due to middle-aged spread of me than the car!

My current commute is relatively short (though that may change in the coming months) but I find the TBi engine addictive and better than my JTS, even though I'd had it remapped. I don't feel the need to on the TBi. Wouldn't change back, but I could do with a little more space in the back from time to time.
AmicusPro is offline  
(Post Link) post #20 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
Ralf S.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The land that Time forgot
Posts: 12,998
To be fair, the '59 was a leap up-market for Alfa.. whereas the '56 was the last of the relatively lightweight/flimsy "Tipo" family. I thik the difference is just noticeable because of the time-span between the two generations. If Alfa had made a metaphorical 157/158 then there wouldn't be such a great contrast.


Ralf S.
Ralf S. is offline  
(Post Link) post #21 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Status: 6 YEARS LYMPHOMA FREE!! :)
AO Silver Member
 
ronan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Belfast
County: Down
Posts: 4,813

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

The car swap didn't last long....I have flipped back to the 156...Anne is happy enough driving the 159 as long as it's just short journeys to the shops,commute etc...

Anything else and she is taking the 156....harmony has returned to the household.

But by God I missed her.

The 156 of course

Wonder if I should celebrate our reunion by giving her a name ??
ronan is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
confessionthe , truth , wife

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome