156 viewing advice please... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

1Likes
  • 1 Post By symon

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 12-06-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -Essex

Member car:

1600i VW Beetle

156 viewing advice please...

Alfa Newbie on the trail of a 2004 Veloce ( 2.0L ), viewing tomorrow - 1 owner / FSH / MOT ......
All cars have particular foibles , any tips on the 'usual problems' that I should check out ? , thanks - Jim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexibug98 View Post
Alfa Newbie on the trail of a 2004 Veloce ( 2.0L ), viewing tomorrow - 1 owner / FSH / MOT ......
All cars have particular foibles , any tips on the 'usual problems' that I should check out ? , thanks - Jim.
Make sure it has had decent oil changes and find out when last timing belt was done.
36000 miles or 3 years whichever is first.
(Post Link) post #3 of 14 Old 13-06-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

1600i VW Beetle

Thank you Ronan - just back ( disappointed ) , mechanically sound and low miles, ALFA dealer serviced each year ( stamped books ) but failed cosmetically , just not been loved inside or out ( very elderly owners ) - so back to the drawing board for me now.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Thank you Ronan - just back ( disappointed ) , mechanically sound and low miles, ALFA dealer serviced each year ( stamped books ) but failed cosmetically , just not been loved inside or out ( very elderly owners ) - so back to the drawing board for me now.
(Post Link) post #5 of 14 Old 17-06-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

1600i VW Beetle

Thumbs Up Gonna be patient....

Having spent 30 years renovating ( 40-50 year old ) VW Bugs , I am not looking for a true 'Classic' Alfa but see the 156
as optimum choice - just enough retro styling to be a 'Modern Classic'. So gonna be patient and wait for the right one -
meanwhile I still have my Bug to run and a 1956 Moto Guzzi that I am currently rebuilding after painting 👍
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
156 TS/JTS weakpoints are Cambelts, regular oil changes and evidence of top ups between changes (almost all 2.0 TS/JTS engines use some oil), suspension creaks and knocks, mainly at the front.

And engine which has been run low on oil might sound good for a while but may start knocking a few thousand miles later, the same also applies to cars which have had a snapped cambelt but not had the bid end shells done at the same time.

The other big fly in the ointment is rust. Many 156's have already been scrapped due to corrosion. It generally starts in the floorpan, and inner front wings but it could be anywhere really. Some cars seem to fare better than others, and the top of the car usually looks good despite it falling apart underneath.
Spider95 likes this.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170)
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
156 TS/JTS weakpoints are Cambelts, regular oil changes and evidence of top ups between changes (almost all 2.0 TS/JTS engines use some oil), suspension creaks and knocks, mainly at the front.

And engine which has been run low on oil might sound good for a while but may start knocking a few thousand miles later, the same also applies to cars which have had a snapped cambelt but not had the bid end shells done at the same time.

The other big fly in the ointment is rust. Many 156's have already been scrapped due to corrosion. It generally starts in the floorpan, and inner front wings but it could be anywhere really. Some cars seem to fare better than others, and the top of the car usually looks good despite it falling apart underneath.
+1 Symon for the rust....driver's door sill had to be treated a few months back...MOT is up again in September...so will be interesting to see how it's holding...but rust is a cancer.
AO Gold Member

Unless you are very lucky and come across a low mileage 156 that has been cared for very carefully and ideally garaged, buying a 156 is fraught with all sorts of calamities!

Certainly rust is an issue, even on the last production cars in 2005 floor pans could be missing all the underseal (mine is a 2005 and the rear floor pans had absolutely zero underseal, just paint).

I would also avoid the JTS engine (used in the facelift models from 2003). Alfa never got this engine right, the fuelling on this direct injection engine was always a right load of rubbish, just do a search on the forums and you can read all the issues for yourself.

Yes you could find a good 156 but they are going to be very rare.

Last edited by Spider95; 17-06-19 at 20:41.
(Post Link) post #9 of 14 Old 18-06-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

1600i VW Beetle

Thanks chaps, I presume the same era 166 would be subject to the same issues then - so no point in broadening my search then ?....
AO Member

Garage
The 166 was a lot different, and rust protection was highly improved, using galvanised steel.
It's a whole different beast though - less of a sports sedan, more of a cruiseship; although still very good driving experience, and can be fun to drive!
AO Member

County: Northumberland

Member car:

156 V6 SW

Just bought another 156 as it was just too cheap to turn down. This time a JTD diesel saloon. It's an absolute shed - turbo whining, potential water pump failure, oil like treacle etc

However, the floor and cills look good so going to spend some time and money on it. It's worth doing if the underside looks okay - you can't be too picky - there aren't millions of them left on the road and the chances of finding a one owner minter are tiny!
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Quote:
Thanks chaps, I presume the same era 166 would be subject to the same issues then - so no point in broadening my search then ?....
The 166 was made in a different factory with a better record of rustproofing cars.

It came from the Arese plant which made the 164, GTV, Spider.

The 156 came from the Pomigliano D'Arco plant which produced the Alfasud, the 145, 146, 155.
(Post Link) post #13 of 14 Old 18-06-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

1600i VW Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinker View Post
The 166 was a lot different, and rust protection was highly improved, using galvanised steel.
It's a whole different beast though - less of a sports sedan, more of a cruiseship; although still very good driving experience, and can be fun to drive!
I guess at my age & grey hair the 2 armchairs and a settee style might well suit me 🤔. Thanks for the input guys....Jim.
(Post Link) post #14 of 14 Old 05-07-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

1600i VW Beetle

Quote:
I guess at my age & grey hair the 2 armchairs and a settee style might well suit me 🤔. Thanks for the input guys....Jim.
MMMM - starting to warm to the 166 now , as the majority of 156's seem too cheap to be true ( given the above advice ), what is the view on
the 166 'best buy' potential ( early or facelift versions ) ?.....thanks -Jim.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
156 , advice , viewing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page