Concours Events. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 18-05-08 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Concours Events.

Although I like to keep the car clean, tidy and polished I really can't see the point of spending months of my life polishing bolt heads. Having spent weeks preparing the car to this standard would you dare to drive it on the road in case a fly is splattered on the windscreen ?

Is it just me who thinks that life is too short to waste it in this arcane pastime ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: Concours Events.

I believe in having a clean are and having pride in your car.

If it’s a sunny day and I have sometime to spare I give Bella's engine bay a clean out, but, its not a religious as cleaning the body work, every Sunday! (Unless I got a meet then it’s the day before that)
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

I clean mine when I have the time and when the weather's nice Ideally once a week but I don't always get around to it... I have been known to clean it more than once in a week though - and cleaned it pretty much in the dark at 10pm before the tunnel run the other week

I do make a special effort for meets and shows though - gave it an extra special whole-day clean for Chatham and it looked pristine. Less can be said for Brooklands though as I got it back from the garage at 7pm the day before, so it was quite filthy that time

My Flickr Photos | Leave late, drive fast
2002 147 2.0 Twin Spark Lusso . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 156 2.5 V6 SP3 Q2 - Gone but not forgotten

For Sale - Pair of 156 headlights. PM if interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
I clean mine when I have the time and when the weather's nice Ideally once a week but I don't always get around to it... I have been known to clean it more than once in a week though - and cleaned it pretty much in the dark at 10pm before the tunnel run the other week
I know what you mean Nicky, I was still rubbing the colour wax off Bella at 21:30 last Sunday, she had her monthly clean, all glass inside (leather cleaned and carpets treaded) and outside (jet washer)
(Post Link) post #5 of 12 Old 18-05-08 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

An after thought to original post, it is related though.

Anyone tried the new Turtle Wax " Ice " polish ? Looks good on TV and I like the thought of no white residue to deal with.

I only use T-Cut colour wax on Bella, although, I am using a shade too light right now. Keep forgetting to go and get the darker bottle when I am out and about
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Black 159

Why waste time cleaning it when you could be driving it?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxechick View Post
Why waste time cleaning it when you could be driving it?????
Because there is no-where to go around here, I can't afford the fuel and/or she always looks better clean. Take your pick
AO Silver Member

i like having my car clean and well polished but i not so anal as to clean the bits you cant see or give it a pretensious name. dont get me wrong i look after my car but concours baffles me, i just dont see the point, cars are for driving.
Ferryman_1957

Nice Alfas are worth looking after. I wouldn't go to concours standard, that's a bit too anal for me, but if you look after your car on the outside and the inside it will last well and look good. It drives better as well - you just feel great driving around in a gleaming Alfa! In just the same way that I use high quality products on the inside of the engine, I use high quality products on the outside of the car as well. It pays to understand the basic principles of cleaning your car without ruining the paintwork, and if you use good quality waxes and prep products it's actually easier to keep it looking good.

The detailing section is great on this forum - lots of good advice. Jet washes are best avoided, as are automatic car washes.....

Cheers,

Nigel

AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 GTA

Those that do concours to the std required to win at events normally trailer the car to the event and drive the 200yds or so to comply with some of the rules. These people normally have a few cars and love the type, so can afford to have one for shows and one to drive!
I don't knock them, I have to admire their efforts as the cars are exceptionally clean and probably cleaner than they were when they were new?
Regional Representative
For South Africa - AO-SA

County: Gauteng

My 156 won its class in the AR club of SA concourse last year, and got 3rd place overall in the post 85 (moderns) section. in other words its is clean, very clean in fact..... but I also use it as a daily drive (I drive all my cars).
I do take it off the road about a week before the concourse, in order to clean it..... this does take a lot of time and late nights....

I think its a matter of "what turns you on". I like the fact that I have one of the best 156s in South Africa..... and that I have the pleasure of driving it as well.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
concours , events

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page