Privacy windows - appropriate or not? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 39 Old 18-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Well Happy Privacy windows - appropriate or not?

First post in this section so Welcome All!

I'm thinking about ordering privacy windows. Will hear your opinions as to how people find this in an Alfa? To put it in some context I will add that I have some concerns, being present in different parts of Europe I know in some countries privacy windows have actually been overused and currently have connotations with being a muscle neck, showing off ass..le, etc etc.

For me there are practical reasons for which I'd like privacy windows but I'm somewhat concerned with the reception by others.

All comments appreciated..

156SW 1.9JTDm + remap 165bhp

Thinking of... 159SW 2.4JTDm Q4, 18" spoke rims, black + black upholstery + remap 210->250bhp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AlfaLincs

Re: Privacy windows - appropriate or not?

What do you do inside a car that requires privacy?

My main objection to them is that if you are at a junction or roundabout and the car you are looking at has darkened glass, you cannot get eye contact with, or see the driver to see whether he has noticed you. You therefore are obliged to judge your entry/exit simply hoping he knows you are there and that he is not looking in another direction.

It that sense it removes a form of sensory communication that we all rely on for safety on the road. If TWO cars meet that have darkened windows who the hell knows whats going on.

We got along fine without them for so long I think its just another form of selfishness or personal insecurity frankly. I smile and wave at people......and they are coming to take me away soon

AlfaLincs

AO Member

Privacy glass... is this the same as regular window film tint?
Nev

Looks good/makes sense for SUVs
and maybe estate/breaks if you transport
things in the back a lot.

Otherwise no.

Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Here in the UK there is a legal limit of much " Tint " you are allowed, think it may be 30% but not sure. All police traffic cars carry a little device that measure this density and if it's over that limit you are walking home, the car is not allowed to be driven.

I'm with all the other posters on here though, why would you want to ?
(Post Link) post #6 of 39 Old 18-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Privacy windows = tinted glass yes, name taken from Alfa catalog, not sure in english one it sounds exactly the same. In french catalog it is vitres arieres privatives which literarly means private back windows. Fronts + windscreen of course stay regular they cannot be darkened.

Reasons? Carrying stuff in the back = yes, some better separation from police eyes when you carry an antiradar. These are practical, last one: doesn't this make the car look more sporty especially when accompanied by dark colours, black etc?
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

When the rears are tinted and the fronts not - as is the only legal way of doing things - then it just looks naff rather than sporty.
AO Member

Well here it's a very common practice for car windows to be tinted - for practical reasons mostly (UV/heat/glare), so therefore doesn't really have the same negative connotations as mentioned above^^ (unless of course it's some rediculous illegal degree of tint).
But having experienced Brisbane summers in a car without window tint, you really do notice the difference heat-transfer wise. In which case, it's something I would mark as essential...
The previous owner of my car had the windows tinted, under the legal limit, but still very effective. Seems to have a subtle blue tinge in direct light, not sure..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tint01.jpg (71.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg tint02.jpg (66.3 KB, 12 views)

(Post Link) post #9 of 39 Old 18-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi sirocco,

nice car, tint seems to be rather delicate on it, looks nice.

Since this is really an aesthetical question in a first place that I asked here I'm posting these pics below I found on 159ownersclub. Not 100% sure this is the original Alfa privacy glass or custom tint though. What do you all think about this kind of combination because this is what I have in mind?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TR05.jpg (46.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg TR03.jpg (41.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg TR06.jpg (89.9 KB, 9 views)
Ferryman_1957

Subtly tinted is ok, really dark glass is not Alfa-ish. Makes it look like a drug dealer's car IMO. And just having it at the back looks silly.

I saw a program about TV cops in the UK where they pulled over a slummy mummy in a big Land Rover and gave her a ticket because of the heavily tinted windows. She claimed it just came from the dealer that way, so in the UK you have to be careful.

Cheers,

Nigel

AlfaLincs

OK, I'l make an honourable exception for those out in Oz in view of the heat and the glare. Oddly enough I was 'test driving' a conservatory today with heat reflecting blue tinted glass. It worked very well, AND you could see through it.

AlfaLincs

HSTDriver

In Britain you can have tints that allow a certain percentage of light through (the percentage of light allowed through has to be higher for a windscreen than side or rear windows).

Yet bikers tinted visors are illegal (though wearing sunglasses underneath a clear visor is not)

And some people call them w***er windows

ukmike2008

Here in UK, dark tint side windows are incredibly useful if you ARE a drug dealer - otherwise too chav for a new Alfa Romeo. Also makes things a bit grim inside on a dull November day. Having said that, I am an old fart and believe that although Audis and BMW's are black, Alfas are always RED! :-)

As has been stated, the British Police take a "dim" view of side tints and will be only too happy to pull you in and confiscate the vehicle.

AO Member

County: -

Member car:

alfetta gtv

NOT for an alfa only for range rovers and chavs
Nev

Okay boys calm down.

mrdata is asking about the factory fitted
tinted windows as an option for the back
of a dark coloured 159 SportWagon.
(If I correctly understood)

It looks okay, he's not chavving up a saloon.

What drug dealer would cruise around in a
stationwagon ?!

They look good, they make sense security wise.

Let's not beat him up over the "un-Alfaness" of them.
(That seems to be a UK version of un-Alfaness BTW.)

harrythesnotgobbler

Mrdata,
Couldnt help but notice you have a sportwagon, the same as myself, did you know Alfa make shades that clip onto all the rear windows inc rear doors, these give an appearence of tinting and you can remove them at will.

I have them myself and use them when carting the dog around particularly in summer.

harrythesnotgobbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukmike2008 View Post

As has been stated, the British Police take a "dim" view of side tints and will be only too happy to pull you in and confiscate the vehicle.

WOW

just for tintiing your windows,

(Post Link) post #18 of 39 Old 18-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
Okay boys calm down.

mrdata is asking about the factory fitted
tinted windows as an option for the back
of a dark coloured 159 SportWagon.
(If I correctly understood)

It looks okay, he's not chavving up a saloon.
Exactly, wagon and factory option only, not a custom tint all over the car.

Personally I am against custom Alfa outlook "improvements" as it is a very beautiful and balanced design, frankly, I think one can do more harm than good if does start experimenting with it. That's why I consider factory option only having belief Alfa did a right choice with the right amount of it - not to sc..w the final effect.

Back to the subject - wagon has somewhat more to hide at the back than saloon especially when you lug stuff around with rear seats down. Happens to me from time to time.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

My 156 GTA SW has tints. Very light on front-side windows, heavier on rear-side windows. Before I had it, I was generally 'anti-tint', and I certainly wouldn't have had them fitted myself (assuming they're not the Alfa option).
But now I've got it, I think it looks fantastic, and there's no loss of visibility in normal driving.

The only point at which I've noticed an issue is reversing in pitch darkness and trying to look through a tinted side window onto the passenger side mirror. The reversing lights aren't strong enough to make up for the loss of light from both the tint and the mirror.

You'll find pictures in these links, I think it sets off the Alfa Red brilliantly:
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/just-...y-new-gta.html

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/just-...-my-shine.html

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/just-...p-mow-cop.html

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

"You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place."
"That's why animals are so soft and huggy."
- Calvin and Hobbes

To err is human, to moderate ursine.
AO Silver Member

Garage

mrdata, I'd say the car in the picture you've posted looks fine. Just contact Alfa and check the % tint or ask if theres a car you can see that has it fitted.

The way this lot go on you'd think there was something wrong with being a drug dealer.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GTV TS

I think that if you want to tint the windows then you should, you bought it, you pay to run it and you are the one driving it.

Rich
(Post Link) post #22 of 39 Old 19-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
My 156 GTA SW has tints. Very light on front-side windows, heavier on rear-side windows.
That is a very nice looking car and indeed tints suite red well. They should also match black since how couldn't black go well with black

I must remark here that it looks far better to have some tint on fronts also as the transition from fronts to rear darkened ones is not so striking. But one problem though, dunno how police will react in Europe, I move across countries from time to time. Is this matter regularized across EU or not? I hope it is. Wasn't one of the ideas behind EU to have simple things like that sorted the same way in different countries!?

AR catalog does not mention front privacy windows so there are none on offer. Only solution would be to custom tint a bit. Then colour of front will surely be slightly different than that of the back.
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Mt GTA has darkened rear windows and a slight tint on the front...(you cant do any more for legal reasons.)

I like it. Car is nice and cool in the summer sun!

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...onburn/066.jpg
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Mine are tinted, I think it looks OK. I didn't have them done, it was the previous owner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gab.jpg (59.1 KB, 12 views)
AO Silver Member

County: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
When the rears are tinted and the fronts not - as is the only legal way of doing things - then it just looks naff rather than sporty.
Yep, like a kind of glassy van

The Mrs is having it done to the Sportwagon for the dog....

well he's always lickin his bits.

Hot weather is also an issue for him....

it makes him want to lick his bits more.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
privacy , windows

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page