Converting to electric - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

9Likes
  • 2 Post By Ralf S.
  • 5 Post By halftone
  • 2 Post By Ralf S.

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 06-05-19 Thread Starter

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa GT JTDM

Converting to electric

Hi everyone
I’ve had an Alfa Gt 1.9 JTDM for the past 5 or so years. Started out in hell but after changing the battery to a more decent size and the turbo found that I had great fun. I recently fancied a change and have bought a new (to me) car. I haven’t yet sold the Alfa but was wondering if there was any way of combining my love for alfa and my love for electric together. Does anyone know if there is a kit for converting an ***** GT to an electric motor? I love the style and handling of the GT but I’m looking to reduce my carbon footprint. Let me know if you have any ideas or know of a garage that would do the conversion.
Thanks
Alfa_nurse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

I do not know of anybody that has done anything like that.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
£5k for the kit plus £6k for the batteries to give 50-60mph might just make economic sense on the Aygo for town use but I don't see it on his GT

Last edited by TonyGr; 10-05-19 at 15:27. Reason: Wrong model quoted
AO Member

County: -
Garage

Member car:

2006 159 2.2jts

Check out electricclassiccars.co.uk, they convert older cars to electric using tesla batteries etc. This makes them a bit pricey at around £10k, but they've recently made the world's fastest Ferrari 308. I've not looked at them myself, but my boss has and also claims to know the guy that started the company. He says the video of the 308 is pretty spectacular!
AO Platinum Member

The best way to reduce your footprint is to use the GT less, rather than wasting your money on a lot of precious metal intensive componentry and batteries, that needs to be mined, processed and shipped thousands of miles, so that a power station can produce the same emissions as your car.. but somewhere else... to produce the electricity you need.

After three years most of that precious metal intensive componentry and batteries will end up as landfill.

Buy a small-engined petrol engined car and use that for shopping/commuting. Keep the GT for "non-daily" and occasional use only.

Ralf S.
MalcQV and willis1 like this.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
That makes sense unless you’re paying a big Road Fund tax bill , which is not mileage related. Mine will be over £500 once I’ve had my Stelvio a year, which is crazy considering how I am limiting my mileage to probably 4K at the current rate. We have an IQ for local journeys we cannot walk,cycle or do by public transport.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post
The best way to reduce your footprint is to use the GT less, rather than wasting your money on a lot of precious metal intensive componentry and batteries, that needs to be mined, processed and shipped thousands of miles, so that a power station can produce the same emissions as your car.. but somewhere else... to produce the electricity you need.

After three years most of that precious metal intensive componentry and batteries will end up as landfill.

Buy a small-engined petrol engined car and use that for shopping/commuting. Keep the GT for "non-daily" and occasional use only.

Ralf S.
Not exactly accurate, at absolute worst an electric car will produce the same emissions at a power plant compared to a modern diesel engine. Not all our energy comes from fossil fuels though, some is nuclear, a pitiful and almost meaningless amount is from wind and there's a not to bad amount of solar energy going into the grid now. Lithium ion cells are not big chunks of lithium, a percent or 2 of the cell is lithium. You probably waste more in spilled grease per year than you would having to have batteries recycled. The control electronics won't need replacing after 3 years either, they should last decades if properly designed and over-rated for the job. Then there's the regen braking which gets back a lot of the energy that goes into getting a vehicle up to speed.

Clutch material and brake pads end up in the air eventually, used oil needs to be processed, coolants need to be disposed of, water pumps need replacing, lead batteries still can't be replaced on a mass scale yet either. When lead batteries to get replaced, it will probably be with lithium. Already happening with bikes where batteries a quarter of the weight and half the size are able to out-perform lead batteries plus they crank fine when getting flat too.

Unless IC engines can achieve 80% thermal efficiancy in the near future, they're going to be left in the past.

I don't think converting any large car to electric is worth it though, better off buying a milk float and screwing the GT body shell to that. I looked into doing a 156 and gave up as it was going to be an absolute nightmare. Plus the car is pretty much beyond repair, especially now I've ripped it apart and broke things.
AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

It's complicated. There's a large carbon and energy cost from producing any new car, including EV. Estimates vary but most assess manufacture as half of the lifetime cost, with the fuel used accounting for the other half including the carbon cost of extracting, manufacturing, infrastructure and transport of the fuel itself.

EV's are not that different. The carbon and energy cost of manufacture is similar, and can be higher. The carbon cost of electricity production and delivery is very variable. BEV shows a net advantage over a comparable ICV within 3 years, in California where nearly all generation if from renewables, mostly solar. In US states with more mixed generation, it takes 5 years or so, but in some states where coal and oil are the main fuels, the BEV will take more than the likely life of the vehicle before it becomes 'cleaner'.

The UK's current (sorry!) mix of gas, nuclear, oil, wind, hydro probably puts BEV in front by the time it's 5-6 years years old.

BUT scrapping perfectly usable vehicles, whose carbon cost of production has already been amortised, in order to build new ones that incur a whole new cost but are net only marginally cleaner, is really silly. Unless you're a manufacturer, or a government wanting to support the industry, eg the scrappage scheme of the GFC period, when they advised everybody to buy diesel because the greater fuel efficiency produced lower CO2.

It's pretty funny to see that is now old hat, and diesel is the pariah fuel, so we should all buy small, lean-burn direct-injected, turbo petrols. They approach the fuel efficiency of diesel. They also produce more PM and NOx, because of the higher combustion temps. So EGR and, now, particulate filters are appearing on petrol. It's almost as if there is no such thing as a free lunch... Personally even if I could, I wouldn't buy a new car. It's a racing certainty government will change its advice, destroy residual values prematurely, and tax the crap out of small, lean-burn, direct-injection turbo petrols as soon as the industry needs another leg-up.

I know this is cynical, but DEFRA's own air quality survey shows that even if every single petrol and diesel car, bus, lorry and motorcycle was banned and crushed, we'd only see 18% less CO2, NOx and PM. Actually not even that, the recycling would use colossal amounts of energy. Keeping existing vehicles running and using them as little as possible, is the best way to reduce emissions. All those folk with Bussos that they can't afford to use much are in fact saving the planet.

--
Regards
Tony

Last edited by halftone; 26-05-19 at 08:34.
AO Platinum Member

I'm waiting for a nuclear powered car (a mini reactor under the bonnet instead of an engine and the batteries (?) and gearbox at the back.. with fuel rods linked to the accelerator).

On the other hand, "following an accident" the road would be closed for 450 years, never mind 45 minutes..

Ralf S.
halftone and Fruity like this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post
I'm waiting for a nuclear powered car (a mini reactor under the bonnet instead of an engine and the batteries (?) and gearbox at the back.. with fuel rods linked to the accelerator).

On the other hand, "following an accident" the road would be closed for 450 years, never mind 45 minutes..

Ralf S.
One of the entries in the 1894 Paris-Bordeaux competition was listed as powered by gravity, another as run by a system of levers. Unfortunately neither of them managed to drive to the starting line, but I've always fancied one of each. Your gearbox requirements might have been met by the 'twenties car advertised as having four baladeurs. Sadly, no example survives, and no-one, neither engineer nor linguist, has been able to work out what a baladeur might be.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterzo View Post
gearbox requirements might have been met by the 'twenties car advertised as having four baladeurs. Sadly, no example survives, and no-one, neither engineer nor linguist, has been able to work out what a baladeur might be.
Music of the spheres?
AO Silver Member

This is all quite interesting. The only thing is I'd wait a few years for technology to develop before attempting a power plant change. At present, recharge rates are too long also. Best to let others fund the R&D.

It would make sense on the old ovlov which only has a 250 mile range due to a mega thirsty engine which makes any Busso look frugal. I'd miss the turbine whirr of the BW35 auto and the electric hum of the fuel pump though. That and having to convert the lighting to LED light sources. So much less characterful and charming.

I won't expect a long line of GTV6 owners awaiting a conversion though. It kind of negates the main reason for having one.

Last edited by Fruity; 02-06-19 at 20:10.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
The July edition of Auto Italia has an article on the conversion of one of the older Fiat 500 cars to electric motor using Tesla components. Cost £25 000 and a range of 75 miles. Worth a read.
(Post Link) post #15 of 15 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

I think Wheeler Dealers did a Maserati Biturbo electric conversion - was quite interesting to see, but it wasn't cheap nor was it as powerful as the original.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
converting , electric

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page