3.7 vs M3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 60 Old 15-05-08 Thread Starter
Status: It's the silly season
AO Gold Member
 
GTVDAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Plett
County: South Africa
Posts: 9,805
Garage

Member car:

Mito QV

Looky Looky 3.7 vs M3

Taken last night YouTube - Alfa 3.7 vs BMW E46 M3


Last edited by GTVDAD; 15-05-08 at 15:12.
GTVDAD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,900
Re: 3.7 vs M3

Disappointing performance from the 3.7 really.. I would have thought it'd cane the Beemer, being lighter and having more torque. Oh well..
Pud237 is offline  
Status: Back in a Quad
AO Platinum Member
 
OperationAlfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Essex
Posts: 23,457
Re: 3.7 vs M3

147 gta then...

The M3 is blindingly quick though.
OperationAlfa is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
tony44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cheshire
Posts: 1,204
Re: 3.7 vs M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Disappointing performance from the 3.7 really.. I would have thought it'd cane the Beemer, being lighter and having more torque. Oh well..
Not a chance, FWD can't handle that amount of torque.
tony44 is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,900
Re: 3.7 vs M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony44 View Post
Not a chance, FWD can't handle that amount of torque.
Off the line it can't, sure, but on a dry road in 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th etc it should have no problem. On a rolling start like what we have here is where I thought the Alfa would have the advantage over the Beemer, judging as the M3 is heavier and a RWD car has slightly higher losses through the transmission.

I don't know how tweakable those M3s are though, and of course they'll rev to over 8.5K rpm, the variable valve timing must really help out though. But a 3.7 with 11.2 CR and 277 degree camshafts, forged pistons etc will no doubt be making peak power over 7K rpm.

Autolusso Penrith - UK's leading independent Alfa Romeo specialist with branches in Bedfordshire, Cumbria & Dorset

Wizard Exhaust systems available here

Tel: 01768 879 171
Pud237 is offline  
Status: Back in a Quad
AO Platinum Member
 
OperationAlfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Essex
Posts: 23,457
Re: 3.7 vs M3

Well the M3 has had a remap and new induction.... I would imagine a remap on an M3 is quite beneficial???
OperationAlfa is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,900
Re: 3.7 vs M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationAlfa View Post
Well the M3 has had a remap and new induction.... I would imagine a remap on an M3 is quite beneficial???
Not sure really.. I would imagine it would be pretty highly tuned from the factory. BMW aren't going to go to the extent of fitting 6 throttle bodies to the engine if they aren't going to only map it mildly..

But following the normal 10% rule on an N/A engine would give it another 34bhp! I can't see it getting that much to be fair. But 343bhp as standard is a fair whack of power. 100bhp more than a GT 3.2..
Pud237 is offline  
Status: The Bored, BORED
AO Gold Member
 
Snokio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: I would rather not say
County: -
Posts: 6,454
Re: 3.7 vs M3

from memory of my brothers old M3 (same model), which was chipped, had an induction kit (don't know which) and had the same exhuast (I think) as the one used in the clip was approx 370 bhp over the std 343 bhp

Would of been interesting to see what power was coming out of the 3.7 'donkey' as they so called it
Snokio is offline  
Status: The Bored, BORED
AO Gold Member
 
Snokio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: I would rather not say
County: -
Posts: 6,454
Re: 3.7 vs M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Not sure really.. I would imagine it would be pretty highly tuned from the factory. BMW aren't going to go to the extent of fitting 6 throttle bodies to the engine if they aren't going to only map it mildly..

But following the normal 10% rule on an N/A engine would give it another 34bhp! I can't see it getting that much to be fair. But 343bhp as standard is a fair whack of power. 100bhp more than a GT 3.2..
yeah, you can get alot of power from a straight six than a V6 , hence the Porche use them
Snokio is offline  
Status: PSN ID: Jack155Q4
AO Gold Member
 
AlfaJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 6,919

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Re: 3.7 vs M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snokio View Post
yeah, you can get alot of power from a straight six than a V6 , hence the Porche use them
I thought Porkers were flat 6s
AlfaJack is offline  
Damien_C
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 3.7 vs M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaJack View Post
I thought Porkers were flat 6s
True that And E46 M3's are a sick quick car. 3.2 with twin VANOS.
 
Status: zzzzzzzz
AO Platinum Member
 
symon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 37,091
Re: 3.7 vs M3

It said that the clutch on the 147 was faulty at the beginning. Was it slipping when it was being driven? (my speakers are not working)
symon is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,900
Re: 3.7 vs M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaJack View Post
I thought Porkers were flat 6s
Yup, its a 6 cylinder boxer engine, which is like a 180 degree V6. Nothing like a straight 6 right?

Advantage of a straight 6 is balance rather than outright power...
Pud237 is offline  
Status: The Bored, BORED
AO Gold Member
 
Snokio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: I would rather not say
County: -
Posts: 6,454
Re: 3.7 vs M3

opps, maybe i was wrong on the Porsches
Snokio is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
MattyB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: West Mids
Posts: 1,083

Member car:

VW

Re: 3.7 vs M3

Its probably a 310bhp version of the 3.7, but even so, the BMW must have a decent BHP advantage to pull a gap like that, especially as its heavier.

Be interesting to know a few more details, I expected it to be closer.

Edit:
156 = 1400kg/310bhp = 221bhp/ton
M3 = 1570kg/338bhp = 219bhp/ton

Last edited by MattyB; 15-05-08 at 19:45.
MattyB is offline  
Status: 147 2.0 to GT Q2
AO Member
 
mudan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Midlands, U.K.
Posts: 436

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Re: 3.7 vs M3

We're forgetting the Autodelta 147 3.7 here with 330bhp....which beat the older M3 on TopGear...see the video where it's placed on the results board.

See News&Films on AUTODELTA

The newer SuperAM has 400bhp!

Yes that's alot of torque for the front wheels but it's dealt with by a LSD.
mudan is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,900
Re: 3.7 vs M3

But this is a south african car - its unlikely to be AutoDelta.. More likely to be Glenwood Motors.
Pud237 is offline  
Status: Winning small victories
AO Platinum Member
 
73GTVJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 24,500
Re: 3.7 vs M3

It may not have been such a straight fight.

The titles show teh Alfa to have a "Competition Clutch (Faulty)" and the passenger states it has 260,000 kms on the clock.

Maybe a tad hamstrung against a newer, fitter M3? Which we all know to be quick without the remap etc.
73GTVJim is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,900
Re: 3.7 vs M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim View Post
It may not have been such a straight fight.

The titles show teh Alfa to have a "Competition Clutch (Faulty)" and the passenger states it has 260,000 kms on the clock.

Maybe a tad hamstrung against a newer, fitter M3? Which we all know to be quick without the remap etc.
I think its the car they are referring to with 260k km on the clock, not the engine..

Either way, a faulty clutch isn't going to help matters much!
Pud237 is offline  
Status: The BSD says konnichiwa
Global Mod Team
 
BigFoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Japan
County: Tokyo
Posts: 114,689
Re: 3.7 vs M3

Oh ok, we all now it wasn't a fair fight right
BigFoot is offline  
Status: PSN ID: Jack155Q4
AO Gold Member
 
AlfaJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 6,919

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Re: 3.7 vs M3

Ah well, so the 147 hasn't got the speed, at least it has some style

And feel good in the knowledge that other road users do not hate you!
AlfaJack is offline  
Status: is everything.
AO Silver Member
 
Ricer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Somerset
Posts: 1,038

Member car:

Saab and a Merc

Re: 3.7 vs M3

The M3 reigns supreme, just look at the offerings from every other manufacturer - Audi, Merc, even Lexus are having a pop now. Nothing actually beats an M3 - they are so well set up, amazing throttle response, grip and dynamics. I used to have a 330i and i thought that was quick until I went in an M3 - the 8k redline is ridiculous.
Saying that, take out the advantage of RWD with a rolling start and it would have been a lot different I think.

Does anyone remember The Lancia Thema 8.32 - that was a real Italian Super Saloon - way better than the M3 of its day.

check out the unbelievably tacky video - funny!

YouTube - Lancia Thema 8.32 filmato ufficiale dell'epoca.

Once Loved: 156 2.4JTD SP3

Last edited by Ricer; 16-05-08 at 16:30. Reason: added the link.
Ricer is offline  
Oggy_GTA
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 3.7 vs M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
Oh ok, we all now it wasn't a fair fight right
These videos are never fair fights ... they're done to reinforce someone's existing bias. Listening to the commentary, the 147 GTA is a donkey
 
Status: w/o Alfa:subject to change
AO Member
 
sayitpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 108

Member car:

156 2.4jtd

Re: 3.7 vs M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricer View Post
The M3 reigns supreme, just look at the offerings from every other manufacturer - Audi, Merc, even Lexus are having a pop now. Nothing actually beats an M3 - they are so well set up, amazing throttle response, grip and dynamics. I used to have a 330i and i thought that was quick until I went in an M3 - the 8k redline is ridiculous.
Yes, but you're forgetting the fact that M3s are actually crap, for one thing they're made by BMW, and another, they're driven by BMW drivers. And let us not forget, they say "BMW" on the boot lid. Proof positive I think you'll find.

WOW, I'm really getting the hang of this Alfa Owner thing

I think I'm nearly ready for an irrelevant rant against diesels
sayitpunk is offline  
Status: is everything.
AO Silver Member
 
Ricer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Somerset
Posts: 1,038

Member car:

Saab and a Merc

Re: 3.7 vs M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayitpunk View Post
Yes, but you're forgetting the fact that M3s are actually crap, for one thing they're made by BMW, and another, they're driven by BMW drivers. And let us not forget, they say "BMW" on the boot lid. Proof positive I think you'll find.

WOW, I'm really getting the hang of this Alfa Owner thing

I think I'm nearly ready for an irrelevant rant against diesels
Erm - like lots of others on here - I also own a Bim, and it's a derv burner. Ouch.
Ricer is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome