Alfa see Jan 19 sales decline by 35% - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

20Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 35 Old 15-02-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Alfa see Jan 19 sales decline by 35%

https://europe.autonews.com/sales-ma...fall-5-january

Expect some discounts on the Giulia?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Alfa has no mainstream offering now the Giulietta has very few engine options and a non-refreshed design. It has gone from premium to invisible. The Mito was dead long ago , the Giulia needs the smaller engines equivalent to the 3 series and the Stelvio is into the punitive luxury tax bracket in most versions. Otherwise it's all going very well. Geneva should be interesting this year.
JTD_Liam and TonyGr like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Oxfordshire
Cue2's right. As good as the Giulia and Stelvio are, they're complimentary models - they should be complimenting a base of other higher volume models like a new Giulietta and smaller (and cheaper) SUV. I get that FCA are trying to launch models which turn a good profit, but they'd probably sell a few more of them if they had more than two reasons (ie two models) for punters to go into the showrooms. Actually having a decent amount of showrooms would be a bonus where the UK's concerned too.

I'm afraid that with this pace of model launches at Alfa, coupled with the european economic outlook this decline doesn't look like altering this year.
AO Platinum Member

The problem is that buyers who wanted to buy Giulietta and Mito sized cars are likely to have gone to other brands.

Will they come back?
JTD_Liam likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
I will eventually want to replace my Giulietta preferably with another one. However looking at the current range of engines that option is rapidly dwindling. Hopefully Things will have improved by the time this one gets to the "I must replace this old girl" stage.
JTD_Liam likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

It would be presumably be possible to position Alfa as an upmarket-only brand. They are, after all, so well integrated into Fiat that they could cater for the top end of the market while Fiat covers the rest, analagous (to a degree) to Toyota and Lexus.

The missing part from such a strategy is the service dealers. You'd expect Fiat-Alfa dealers all over the place.
AO Platinum Member

Come to think of it, I cannot remember the last time I saw a new Fiat either.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterzo View Post
It would be presumably be possible to position Alfa as an upmarket-only brand. They are, after all, so well integrated into Fiat that they could cater for the top end of the market while Fiat covers the rest, analagous (to a degree) to Toyota and Lexus.

The missing part from such a strategy is the service dealers. You'd expect Fiat-Alfa dealers all over the place.
If you look at the Fiat network, they have most of the Country fairly well covered, but then look at Jeep and to even more extent Alfa (since there are some standalone Jeep dealers but no standalone Alfa ones) and the picture gets very patchy, particularly in Wales, Scotland, North West England, East Anglia, bits of the South Coast and South West England.

In Wales there are a wealth of Fiat dealers, but not a single Jeep or Alfa sales dealer in the entire Country - your nearest is (South Wales) Bristol, (Mid Wales) Shrewsbury or (North Wales) Chester. In Scotland granted there's loads of Arnold Clark Fiat dealers and some are also Alfa/Jeep, but there are Fiat or Jeep dealers elsewhere in Scotland that have no Alfa (Ian Grieve Jeep, Park's Fiat, Border Cars Jeep/Fiat for example). There's even no Alfa dealer in Edinburgh, yet there's several Fiat dealers and a Maserati dealer there. In North West England there were loads of Fiat dealers but there's a massive gap for Alfa between Mangoletsi Knutsford and Arnold Clark in Leeds now that Blackburn Alfa and Platts Stoke on Trent have closed. Several Fiat dealers have gone as well now, creating gaps there too (Richard Cort Bury, Lookers Stockport, Chorley Group Blackpool), but there's a Maserati dealer in Stockport, who surely could be approached re an Alfa franchise? Failing that why not advertise for dealers like MG, Ssangyong and other brands have done?

It's all hopelessly disjointed. I get that many of the sites will be too small to simply add Alfa in, but this is why Alfa UK need to step up and help financially. I don't know 100% but get the impression from various sources that it's up to the retailers to find the money - they're not going to do that and potentially turf-out another manufacturer on the back of several fancy presentations by the late Sergio Marchionne but not a lot in the way of model launches, are they?

You only have to look at the success Abarth have had in the UK after adding them into large numbers of Fiat dealers. One Abarth is based on the now very old Fiat 500 and the other a much more expensive version of the Mazda MX-5, but they sell because people see them in the dealerships.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
Come to think of it, I cannot remember the last time I saw a new Fiat either.
I have one, 68 plate! Financial suicide probably But there's not many, you're right. Other than my Tipo I've seen 1 68 plate 500x and perhaps one 500 & one Panda. And we're nearly in 19 plate territory.

I saw a few 18 plate Fiat's but they were mostly 500s and 124 Spiders and the 124 has now disappeared off of Fiat's website with Autocar suggesting it might've been discontinued. Adding to that the 500 has been milked for too long, 500L is reduced to just one low powered engine since the WLTP testing and Panda is getting old too. They stupidly haven't replaced the Punto so that leaves the Tipo and 500x to deliver the goods and neither is top of the pack in their respective tightly fought classes, so they're not in a vastly greater position to Alfa.

This is what happens when you fail to deliver on plans over a number of years
symon likes this.
AO Member

I think he explains the issue quite well

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

That video is especially relevant to me at the moment. Am looking for a Giulietta. A web search for cars within 100 miles came up with Arnold Clark in Bolton 250 miles away, because they can make the car available in Lingfield in Sussex. Rang them, and yes, they'll deliver the car to Lingfield for a charge of £95 if I buy the car first. They say people these days are buying online without seeing the car...

Not sure I want to do that.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GTV

Alfa is in a shocking mess, as is the whole FCA group (except Jeep). FCA haven't an idea about continuing development of their products. Every other major car maker knows about constantly updating their products, life cycles of maybe 4 years with mid-cycle updates, and yet for the past 20 years Fiat have just let models get old, & potential buyers drifted off to newer products. Alfa's 156 sold over 200k unit in its first 3 years, the 159 sold 130k in the same period, the new Giulia struggled to shift 80k despite being sold in Europe & the USA. Its the same with every new Alfa product, they all perform worse than the model they replace, partly because Fiat take so long to replace anything!! Here's how dire Alfa's situation is, with two new-ish models its being outsold in Europe by Lancia who have had no funding. FCA's management is a joke. Though apparently we can expect to see something new in Geneva - probably not a production model, either a concept or even worse a new trim level!!
AO Platinum Member

Alfa are certainly a long way away from the glory days of the 1990s.

They had the 164, 33, 145, 146, 155, GTV, Spider, and later the 156 and 166 all in production over that decade.

Also not forgetting the SZ and RZ in between 1989 and 1994

Fiat also had a good selection of cars during that time. (Cinquecento, Seicento, Bravo, Brava, Coupe, Barchetta etc)

Something has gone badly wrong.

The Giulia and Stelvio might be good cars, but they are not enough.
Spider95 likes this.

Last edited by symon; 22-02-19 at 07:06.
AO Silver Member

They seem to have become extremely risk averse. They used to launch a number of models, some pretty off-the-wall (ie Multipla), some more conventional and fundamentally decent (Punto/147) and others pretty off-the-pace (Idea/2005 Croma), but they had full ranges, showrooms with lots of models.

In the past 10 years since the launch of the Fiat 500 and Alfa MiTo they seem to generally launch more of the fundamentally decent cars (Giulietta/Giulia/Stelvio/Renegade/Panda) but they don't even bother with other models like a MiTo or Punto replacement. The Punto was once Fiat's biggest seller, but they've let it fade and die, claiming there's not enough money to be made from it - can that really be the case? If so why are Ford, Renault, Peugeot, Mazda, Kia all still launching and/or producing Punto rivals? Could it be that it gets people (lots of people) through the showroom doors and interested in the brand? Not all the people that go to buy a Clio leave with a Clio - I bet a lot leave with a Captur or Megane, both more expensive than the Clio. Hell, they might even go back and buy another Renault, possibly even more expensive as their family grows, or as a second car.

If you look at other manufacturers and then look to see what FCA's answer to that model is, there are multiple cases where you'll find they don't have a viable equivalent. Either because they're still too busy showing it on a Powerpoint presentation and then pushing the launch date back another couple of years, letting the old model (if there is one) get even more out of date, or because they've chickened out of building it at all.

I love many of FCA's cars, but it strikes me as a company that could get rid of 50% of its staff and not really miss them - too much talk, not enough action.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GTV

I know this is an Alfa forum, but bare with me! Fiat's Punto is the most striking case of poor management thinking with FCA. Since 1997 the brands that use to represent the old Fiat Group (so Alfa, Fiat, Lancia) have sold in Europe approx 19.5m vehicles, the Punto accounted for 6.5m of those!! 6.5m & Fiat reckon they can't make a profit on it!!! They're leaving the bigger players to produce small cars & sell them in vast quantities. FCA build the thing in Poland or Brazil, but give us a Punto replacement -oh wait you have one its called the Argo!!!! Ship it over!!!
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
I have a hunch that one of the biggest problems with Alfa and Fiat today, is that the fizz has gone. Not sure whether that's down to apathy or legislation.

"We have a very nice diesel engine that's Euro compliant bla bla bla..." Boring. From Italy, we want engines that are all fire and thunder, not eco-squeaks.

"We have more boot space and leg room than a Golf." Slow clap for that one. But boring.

"We have 5 NCAP stars." Admirable, but boring.

Where are the barking, sonorous, technically advanced engines? Where are the edgy, but sassy chassis?

A Golf is a potato, a Focus is a potato, a Renault 19 is a potato; is a Giulietta a potato? It could be suggested that they're all dull, Euro-hatch potatoes.

"I know. I'll buy an old, sub-par car from a company with an almost invisible, apathetic dealer network which is so badly dispersed that I struggle to get a service booked in. Yes. Yes. This is much better than owning a class-competitive Golf. It's all down to the Italian passion, you know." Of course it is.

No worries if that flicks your switches.

However, on the other hand, the Mazda 3...

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.

Last edited by Scudetto; 24-02-19 at 00:58.
AO Platinum Member

I think they need a new range of engines as well. A mid priced V6, and some diesel engines with more than 4 cylinders.

Everyone loves an Alfa V6 but not everyone can afford a Giulia QV.

4 pot engines whilst being worthy are just not exotic or special enough.

Other manufacturers seem to be able to make money with a diverse product range, and I think a diverse product range is what Fiat/Alfa needs.
rvcasa likes this.
AO Platinum Member

How can shareholders be persuaded to invest in new internal combustion engines when all the talk is about electric cars and stopgap fixes for the petrols and diesels while the PCP cars get handed back as they're in negative equity?
Last year at Geneva, the Fiat stand was reminiscent of that of Leyland Cars back in the late 70s. Another trim level of facelifted 500 and a matte finished 500x next to a Tipo with shiny black bits instead of "chrome" is not the answer when other stands have new cars. Hopefully Lancia will be back with something advanced next year.
rvcasa likes this.
AO Member

Alfa seem very reluctant to discount their cars or offer a good lease deal. Every time I replace my car I try to get a new Alfa but every time I get a better deal from Audi, BMW or Merc. In my opinion they need to get cars out there to build up their presence. How many Giulia or Stelvios have you seen on the road? How many A4s, 3 Series etc... do you see. Offer some aggressive deals - shift more cars, more people will buy - a positive upwards cycle! I love Alfa but I am not going to pay £200 per month more to get one!
AO Platinum Member

I think the last thing Fiat want is to dump a load of right hand drive cars on our market and wait for them to be handed back in three years time because they’re in negative equity.
Trying not to mention the B-word...
Dave Brand likes this.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
I think the last thing Fiat want is to dump a load of right hand drive cars on our market and wait for them to be handed back in three years time because they’re in negative equity.
Trying not to mention the B-word...
Yeah but that's part of the marketing cost! I think they need to get cars out there, let people see them on road!
AO Member

What Alfa need is another car like the Alfasud. Not a copy or re-issue of it, but the concept of it! Something that sets new standards and raises the bar like the Alfasud did for pretty much an entire decade.

Alfa had a great concept and design in the Alfasud but massively failed to capitalise on it due to poor management and manufacturing. Since the Alfasud they have produced a string of OK / good cars, beautiful cars but no spectacular cars, well that is until now. Now we have the Giulia QV which is a great car but at the best part of 60grand (even a basic Giulia is 30+grand!) it's not something most people can afford! By contrast the Alfasud (even the top end Ti and Sprint) was affordable (my Dad bought one and he was not wealthy), and despite its legendary short comings the car literally sold itself.

So Alfa have done it before, they need to do it again! Come up with an idea that makes everybody else’s cars seem pathetic and the average people can afford. Who knows what that will be is anybody’s guess...
sb1957 and marktoby2449 like this.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GTV

The other issue with Alfa is once you've decided to trade in and move on, Alfa's are becoming nearly impossible to shift. I'm not buying a new car that in a couple of years will be so difficult to move on, dealers don't want them as trade ins & trying to sell them privately is a joke.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alza View Post
What Alfa need is another car like the Alfasud. Not a copy or re-issue of it, but the concept of it! Something that sets new standards and raises the bar like the Alfasud did for pretty much an entire decade.

Alfa had a great concept and design in the Alfasud but massively failed to capitalise on it due to poor management and manufacturing. Since the Alfasud they have produced a string of OK / good cars, beautiful cars but no spectacular cars, well that is until now. Now we have the Giulia QV which is a great car but at the best part of 60grand (even a basic Giulia is 30+grand!) it's not something most people can afford! By contrast the Alfasud (even the top end Ti and Sprint) was affordable (my Dad bought one and he was not wealthy), and despite its legendary short comings the car literally sold itself.

So Alfa have done it before, they need to do it again! Come up with an idea that makes everybody else’s cars seem pathetic and the average people can afford. Who knows what that will be is anybody’s guess...
The problem with that is that when the Alfasud came out most other cars at the time were pretty antiquated and primitive.
Pushrod engines, drum brakes, 4 speed gearboxes, RWD with live rear axles etc.

Whilst I agree that they need another car like the Alfasud, the competition is so much better in comparison than it was when the Sud came out.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
The problem with that is that when the Alfasud came out most other cars at the time were pretty antiquated and primitive.
Pushrod engines, drum brakes, 4 speed gearboxes, RWD with live rear axles etc.

Whilst I agree that they need another car like the Alfasud, the competition is so much better in comparison than it was when the Sud came out.
Agreed – and therein lies the problem!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
35% , alfa , decline , jan , sales

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page