V6 fuel economy - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 13-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

Rosso/Tan GTV V6

V6 fuel economy

I can't help but notice, the economy quoted by GTA owners tends to be around 3-5mpg higher than people with a 3.0V6 GTV (25/30mpg as oppose to 22/27mpg). Why is this? did Alfa develop the engine to be more economical? Is it because the GTV is a little heavier? Or am I noticing something that it untrue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Darren156

Re: V6 fuel economy

What are you getting in both the TS and the V6 mate?

mudhut

V6 and economy are seldom heard in the same sentence. Depends mostly on the driver's right foot.

My GTA averages between 18 and 19 mpg around town and going to work. It's never over 25 or 26 mpg when I'm "going somewhere" but the motorway portion is somewhat better. I have to remind myself constantly that the car has six forward gears, not four.

The GTA is about 1450 kg. Is the GTV more than this?

(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 13-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

Rosso/Tan GTV V6

I always understood the GTV was heavier than a 156 anyway? I'm not complaining about my economy, seem to get around 23/25mpg. I've just noticed some GTA owners quoting high 20's often, so wondered whether Alfa worked some other magic on the GTA engine other than an increased displacement & hotter cams? Maybe they run leaner (and hotter)? I know the Alfa V6 is meant to over-fuel quite a lot at higher revs to lower its temperature. Also GTA cambelt failures seem slightly more common than with the (arguably more common) 3.0 engine... is this solely because of the extra 30bhp or is there something slightly different mechanically on the cambelt end of the engine?
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabw View Post
I always understood the GTV was heavier than a 156 anyway? I'm not complaining about my economy, seem to get around 23/25mpg. I've just noticed some GTA owners quoting high 20's often, so wondered whether Alfa worked some other magic on the GTA engine other than an increased displacement & hotter cams? Maybe they run leaner (and hotter)? I know the Alfa V6 is meant to over-fuel quite a lot at higher revs to lower its temperature. Also GTA cambelt failures seem slightly more common than with the (arguably more common) 3.0 engine... is this solely because of the extra 30bhp or is there something slightly different mechanically on the cambelt end of the engine?
I never got any more than 26mpg from my GTV V6, normally it was around 20mpg. But what price to pay for having such a great engine.
AO Silver Member

i dont really pay much attention to my fuel economy, but according to the trip computer, since ive owned the car ive averaged 21.5 mpg which is bloody awful but its always in sport mode and if i gave a stuff about economy id have a diesel but i dont so i havent

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
economy , fuel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page