When was the last "real Alfa"? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

34Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 33 Old 25-12-18 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
When was the last "real Alfa"?

It's been a while...
Every time a new model comes out it's the turn of an older model ,which was denied the title of a real Alfa when launched, to become the last real Alfa.
Which was it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
The 75 probably.

The 164 was close, despite having a floorpan shared with Saab, Fiat and Lancia
(Post Link) post #3 of 33 Old 25-12-18 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

The Giorgio cars. Giulia and Stelvio.
chowley, PapaSmurf, GVblue and 1 others like this.

County: Cork
Garage
The last Alfa off of the production line.
Sterzo and PapaSmurf like this.
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
The last Alfa off of the production line.
that's the 4C
(Post Link) post #6 of 33 Old 26-12-18 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Something by Sauber?
AO Member

County: Carmarthenshire
Garage
Mine
(Post Link) post #8 of 33 Old 26-12-18 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

The Thesis was a bit 166-related.
AO Member

County: Carmarthenshire
Garage
Not wishing to hair-split, but the Thesis platform was a stand-alone jobbie.

However - I was purely making a somewhat fatuous comment which had no relevance to a particular car

Ahem.......
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Landon Tan
Garage
Sz
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

My 156 always felt quite real. If it was imaginary, I'm sure I would have struggled more getting to work.
Scudetto and alfabeat like this.
AO Gold Member

County: Greater London
I'm just off to do some imaginary shopping in my 156.

I thought the "not a REAL Alfa" label was reserved for "re-badged Fiats" or those with "too much GM content"?
Scudetto and keithyboy like this.
(Post Link) post #13 of 33 Old 02-01-19 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
My 156 always felt quite real. If it was imaginary, I'm sure I would have struggled more getting to work.
Those bits of Fiat Tipo underneath the 156 body were real too, apparently
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
The Giorgio cars. Giulia and Stelvio.
There's much more 'Alfa' in these 2 than in some examples mentioned in this thread.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipera View Post
There's much more 'Alfa' in these 2 than in some examples mentioned in this thread.
A bit of Ferrari as well, but that's a good thing.
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
Those bits of Fiat Tipo underneath the 156 body were real too, apparently
My S-Type had bits of Lincoln LS underneath. My Saab 900 had Cavalier bits underneath. My Saab 9-3 has lots of Vectra bits underneath and also has Vectra door handles. Could I give a flying ****"?
steveisfrowning and lussoman like this.
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
Garage
As in all the car wholly manufactured and designed by Alfa?

Probably have to go back pre FIAT days? Perhaps the 75?

To be honest. It does not matter. And I will tell you why.

Most cars you can buy these days share platforms, components and engines with other manufacturers. Its not so much the parts but the sum of the parts and how everything is packaged together to form a car which you have your experiences in. The engineers and designers at Alfa will always breath onto these mere components and turn them into something special the results of which make an Alfa Romeo an Alfa Romeo. The spirit and ethos of the brand is in every car you buy.

Every time I press the start button on my (new to me) Brera V6 it sounds like I'm firing up something special. I'm at the start of another experience. I listen to the low burble of that exhaust note. The growl as I pull away. It puts a smile on my face *every* time I start and drive off in that car.

An Alfa is the only car marque I have owned that I will look back on after I have parked it up too. They are automotive works of art.

Every Alfa I have every owned has done that for me. Regardless of the parts that make it happen.

So to me. Every single Alfa is a "real" Alfa because it has the ethos of the marque within it. The Alfa DNA.

Last edited by Matty156; 31-01-19 at 09:50.
AO Silver Member

County: New South Wales
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty156 View Post
As in all the car wholly manufactured and designed by Alfa?

Probably have to go back pre FIAT days? Perhaps the 75?

To be honest. It does not matter. And I will tell you why.

Most cars you can buy these days share platforms, components and engines with other manufacturers. Its not so much the parts but the sum of the parts and how everything is packaged together to form a car which you have your experiences in. The engineers and designers at Alfa will always breath onto these mere components and turn them into something special the results of which make an Alfa Romeo an Alfa Romeo. The spirit and ethos of the brand is in every car you buy.

Every time I press the start button on my (new to me) Brera V6 it sounds like I'm firing up something special. I'm at the start of another experience. I listen to the low burble of that exhaust note. The growl as I pull away. It puts a smile on my face *every* time I start and drive off in that car.

An Alfa is the only car marque I have owned that I will look back on after I have parked it up too. They are automotive works of art.

Every Alfa I have every owned has done that for me. Regardless of the parts that make it happen.

So to me. Every single Alfa is a "real" Alfa because it has the ethos of the marque within it. The Alfa DNA.

I think that is a great comment!

I concur. Considering I own a 159, Giulietta and 75, I guess they are three totally different examples of what an "Alfa" is, but none feel less special.

The 75 is the most raw, the 159 the most beautiful and the Giulietta the most functional.

To the Alfa Aficionado, they would never consider the 159 to be a "Real" Alfa due to its weight and GM Engine line up. Unlike the Alfa 75 which is considered to be the last "Real" Alfa before the current line up of 4C and Giulia.

However, if I'm going to be honest, of the three Alfa's I own, to me the 159 is the most special and the one that gives me the biggest smile. When I push start, similar to you Matty, I feel like I'm starting something special. I think the 159 is much more beautiful than the Giulia. So if it comes down to looks, to me the 159 is "more Alfa" than a Giulia. The same goes for the interior and cabin feel between the Giulia and 159. I guess the driving dynamics is the opposite, but I still do find the 159 to be a great car to drive.

Like Matty mentioned, they are all Real Alfa's in their own way.

Salute, Giordano.
Al Faromeo and AmicusPro like this.

"Alfa Romeo is something special. It occupies a place apart. It is a kind of disease, this passion for a means of transport, a very special way of thinking about a powered vehicle..... It's to do with feelings and passions, things that have more to do with the heart than the brain."

Orazio Satta, Technical Director, Alfa Romeo- 1962

The Romance of Performance
Cuore Sportivo

Last edited by giordano92; 05-02-19 at 11:17.
(Post Link) post #19 of 33 Old 05-02-19 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

The push start,fitted to the 159 for knee-impact safety, is progressed further on the Giulia and Stelvio with the button on the steering wheel.
Muz
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
I think it’s the 75. I have had Alfas for most of my driving life, starting out with the glorious 70’s Giulia then a boat tail Spyder, Sud, Sud Sprint, two three litre 164s, a 75TS, GTV TS and 159SW. My least favourite was the “last true Alfa” my 75. Make of that what you will, but I think Alfa really needed Fiat’s input and money to progress and even survive. I thought the 75 I had was a bit of a cobbled together dog....going for FWD in the “Fiat Alfas” meant many didn’t see them as real Alfas, not me.
AmicusPro, Matty156 and duemila like this.

Last edited by Muz; 06-02-19 at 06:17.
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muz View Post
I think it’s the 75. I have had Alfas for most of my driving life, starting out with the glorious 70’s Giulia then a boat tail Spyder, Sud, Sud Sprint, two three litre 164s, a 75TS, GTV TS and 159SW. My least favourite was the “last true Alfa” my 75. Make of that what you will, but I think Alfa really needed Fiat’s input and money to progress and even survive. I thought the 75 I had was a bit of a cobbled together dog....going for FWD in the “Fiat Alfas” meant many didn’t see them as real Alfas, not me.
Completely agree. I think what FIAT have done is great and saved the brand completely.

They have rationalised the parts and shared components with the mothership however they have given Alfa freedom the breath on the bits that they are supplied with to make great cars.

It was either this or no more Alfas... I know which I prefer.

For me the game changing car with respect to Alfa was the 156 it was a staggeringly beautiful car - lovely lines good range of engines. Coupled with a a great suspension setup. This was with FIATs investment.

We now have the 4C, Giulia Guadrifoglio and the new Alfa Romeo racing team so marking the return of the Alfa brand name on a team in F1. The marque is going from strength to strength. It makes happy to know I will be able to drive an Alfa Romeo for the remainder of my driving days.
Muz and chrishendrix like this.
AO Platinum Member

If the Giulia and Stelvio are seen as "real" Alfas then that's positive... but having "slummed it" in the front-wheel-drive, "re-bodied Fiats" for almost two decades, I wonder how many members of this forum (who may or may not consider these cars "real alfas") would be driving an Alfa today if they hadn't had one of these imposters in the past, keeping their enthusiasm for the brand alive?

My old '55 and my old '45 are certainly "real" Alfas for me... they did the job when there was nothing else.

Ralf S.
Muz
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post
If the Giulia and Stelvio are seen as "real" Alfas then that's positive... but having "slummed it" in the front-wheel-drive, "re-bodied Fiats" for almost two decades, I wonder how many members of this forum (who may or may not consider these cars "real alfas") would be driving an Alfa today if they hadn't had one of these imposters in the past, keeping their enthusiasm for the brand alive?

My old '55 and my old '45 are certainly "real" Alfas for me... they did the job when there was nothing else.

Ralf S.
Bloody hell I forgot to add my 155 wide body to my list of Alfas, what an error! I loved that car and regret selling it. So raw and felt fast even if I was only doing 50. Really quirky, car my wife and daughter hated it and it’s Atoll Blue colour and always referred to it as “The Cheese wedge”. No doubt it was a real Alfa to me.
Ralf S. likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Herefordshire
Well, I've only had one Alfa Romeo, my current 156 GTA. So I can't compare to the other "non FIAT era" Alfa's. I've never even driven an older Alfa Romeo (as much as I'd like to).

I love my 156. It is different to all other cars in the era, in a way that is hard to describe. When I was looking for a replacement for my BMW 328 (E46), I drove so many cars, but all were as dull and predictable as the BMW, until I drove the 156. It felt alive and sufficiently exciting to have me parting with my hard earned cash, before I could even consider the contents of the ring binder full of invoices/warranty claims that accompanied it.

It was not a sensible purchase (cambelt failure, diff failure, reported heavy oil usage all its life, so many invoices for suspension parts replacements), but there was no way I could not buy it.

So for me, being new to Alfa's (back in 2008), the 156 was certainly a true Alfa Romeo. And I still love it dearly to this day. Every journey still feels like an event. Every drive still has me reaching for the 7,500 rpm red line. Every clean still has me admiring the lines. Every day I get a glimpse of her in the garage and smile internally.

Will I buy another Alfa? Maybe. I'd love a classic, but they are out of reach financially for me. Maybe one day I'll buy a more modern one, but I'd need a dealer within 30 miles of me to consider that.

One thing is for sure, the 156 GTA isn't going anywhere.
chrishendrix likes this.

Silver 156 GTA SW, Q2, Koni FSD's, Eibach springs and anti-roll bars, CDA induction, re-map, Wizard/Pud exhaust - fantastic!
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 505
County: Victoria

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Always a bit bemused when the 159 is lumped in with the "rebadged FIAT" nonsense, because my understanding was that the platform was supposed have been shared with SAAB but that all evaporated when Marchionne pulled the pin on the GM relationship. GM then built the next SAAB on the Vectra platform, which may or may not be anything to do with why it was also the last SAAB. Happy to be corrected, of course.

There used to be a guy at work who would try this "last real Alfa" stuff on me, to which I would reply that if he wanted to play that game, then the last real Alfa had an open cockpit and a straight eight engine.
mello yello likes this.

2008-2019 Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTDm
2019- Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce

Last edited by Stewart1; 09-02-19 at 10:58. Reason: Vectra, not Mondeo.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
real alfa

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page