The meaning of biscione badges and stickers? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

 13Likes
  • 1 Post By cue2
  • 2 Post By cue2
  • 2 Post By ronan
  • 3 Post By Giulietta 64
  • 2 Post By goremohekan
  • 1 Post By Scudetto
  • 1 Post By cue2
  • 1 Post By Fruity
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 13-12-18 Thread Starter
Status: Loving my Giulietta
AO Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 32
The meaning of biscione badges and stickers?

Ciao fellow alfisti

This is my first post, even though I've been a member and been lurking for quite a bit of years now.

I know the story about AR's logo, and the meaning of the biscione on it. But recently, I wondered why AR put bisicone-badges on the C-pillars of e.g. the Giulia Super, GTV 2000, as well as owners putting decals on front wings and bonnets? See the following pictures for examples.

Does anybody know the origin and meaning of this?

GTV 2000: https://cdntdreditorials.azureedge.n...d0ba992340.jpg

Giulia Super: http://www.simoncars.co.uk/alfa/slid...r%20badges.jpg

GTAm: https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/att...1&d=1485304681

156: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1j81Ua5vUL.jpg

Grazie mille
Alfahol Addict is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: -
AO Member
 
ItsMeMarty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
County: -Netherlands
Posts: 547

Member car:

159-2.2JTS

Its called "serpent"

the cross of the municipality and the Visconti serpent is on the Alfa Romeo badge.


Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G965F met Tapatalk
ItsMeMarty is offline  
(Post Link) post #3 of 21 Old 13-12-18 Thread Starter
Status: Loving my Giulietta
AO Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMeMarty View Post
Its called "serpent"

the cross of the municipality and the Visconti serpent is on the Alfa Romeo badge.


Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G965F met Tapatalk
It's certainly not called serpent in italian, serpent in italian is 'biscione', same thing as cloverleaf/quadrifoglio.

I know the meaning of the biscione, serpent if you prefer, but not why it's put on cars. So, is it just because the serpent/bisicone is cool to put on cars, or does it signify anything?

Last edited by Alfahol Addict; 13-12-18 at 10:51.
Alfahol Addict is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
ItsMeMarty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
County: -Netherlands
Posts: 547

Member car:

159-2.2JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfahol Addict View Post
It's certainly not called serpent in italian, serpent in italian is 'biscione', same thing as cloverleaf/quadrifoglio.

I know the meaning of the biscione, serpent if you prefer, but not why it's put on cars. So, is it just because the serpent/bisicone is cool to put on cars, or does it signify anything?
Well i called it serpent because we are on a english forum and not a italian one (wink) but i have no idea why they are there.
What they represent?
ItsMeMarty is offline  
Status: Petrol head
AO Platinum Member
 
cue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 31,493
"The symbol is of one of the most important families in the history of Milan (and Italy), the Visconti family – the family that ruled Milan. There are a lot of legends about the origins of this heraldic symbol, representing a mythological animal with a human in his mouth (some believe it to be a dragon, but most likely a snake). During the time of the crusades, Otone Visconti , the founder of Visconti Family and a knight, fought against a noble Saracen knight (nomad from the Syrian Desert that bordered the Roman Empire). Otone beat the Saracen knight and, following the tradition, took the symbols the Saracen carried on his shield: a snake with a human in his mouth. At first glance, it looks like the snake is eating the human. Instead, the human is coming out of the snake a "new man," purified and renewed.

The meaning: The snake is a circular animal (a snake can assume a circular position) and is an animal of the changing – able to change his skin regularly and totally renew or rebirth himself.
So, not shockingly, Alfa is avoiding the question of whether the snake/dragon is eating a Muslim man or just some baby (the two options symbol traditionally has) entirely. That's probably a smart PR move. Instead, they're taking advantage of the fact that the symbol isn't animated by suggesting that the man in the snake's mouth isn't going in, but rather coming out."
Sir Baloney likes this.
cue2 is online now  
(Post Link) post #6 of 21 Old 14-12-18 Thread Starter
Status: Loving my Giulietta
AO Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 32
Apparently, I'm really bad at explaining what I was looking for, even though I put up some pictures as examples.

English isn't my first language, am I really that bad at it?
Alfahol Addict is offline  
Status: Petrol head
AO Platinum Member
 
cue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 31,493
You want to know the reason for the badges?
Or the reason for the positioning of them?
cue2 is online now  
(Post Link) post #8 of 21 Old 14-12-18 Thread Starter
Status: Loving my Giulietta
AO Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
You want to know the reason for the badges?
Or the reason for the positioning of them?
The reason for the badges. I know the history of the badge, but not the reason why they're put separately on the cars.

1) Is there a good reason why they're put on? (For example, as with the cloverleaf)

or

2) It just looks cool with a big serpent on your car.
Alfahol Addict is offline  
Status: Petrol head
AO Platinum Member
 
cue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 31,493
It looks good and traditional especially for a version of an Alfa with more sporting pretensions.
cue2 is online now  
(Post Link) post #10 of 21 Old 14-12-18 Thread Starter
Status: Loving my Giulietta
AO Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
It looks good and traditional especially for a version of an Alfa with more sporting pretensions.
Sure, I know. Just see the pictures I put in, in the first post. But what I was wondering, was if there were more to it than that, apparently not
Alfahol Addict is offline  
Status: Petrol head
AO Platinum Member
 
cue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 31,493
There are many questions. Why , for example , do people quote the question they are answering even if it's immediately before their answer?!

Seriously , many people regard the cloverleaf as designating the spec level of the model it's on and it's cheating to put it on a "lesser" version. I disagree because it was originally a good luck wish on a racing car. However I've never put one on my Alfas and will not be putting the symbol on my Stelvio Speciale. This is not because it's not a Quadrifolio because there's no Speciale badge either.
Spider95 and alfagary2012 like this.
cue2 is online now  
(Post Link) post #12 of 21 Old 14-12-18 Thread Starter
Status: Loving my Giulietta
AO Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 32
The first passive-agressive part of your reply was uncalled for, and of no relevance to the topic.

Agree on the second part though.

Last edited by Alfahol Addict; 14-12-18 at 09:12.
Alfahol Addict is offline  
Status: Too many Alfas
AO Gold Member
 
Spider95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfahol Addict View Post
Apparently, I'm really bad at explaining what I was looking for, even though I put up some pictures as examples.

English isn't my first language, am I really that bad at it?

Agree with your first paragraph. The second: yes.
Spider95 is offline  
Status: 6 YEARS LYMPHOMA FREE!! :)
AO Silver Member
 
ronan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Belfast
County: Down
Posts: 4,921

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

I thought about replying to this thread...and googled a few things.....but lost interest.
Spider95 and cue2 like this.
ronan is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Belgium
County: -
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfahol Addict View Post
Ciao fellow alfisti

This is my first post, even though I've been a member and been lurking for quite a bit of years now.

I know the story about AR's logo, and the meaning of the biscione on it. But recently, I wondered why AR put bisicone-badges on the C-pillars of e.g. the Giulia Super, GTV 2000, as well as owners putting decals on front wings and bonnets? See the following pictures for examples.

Does anybody know the origin and meaning of this?

GTV 2000: https://cdntdreditorials.azureedge.n...d0ba992340.jpg

Giulia Super: http://www.simoncars.co.uk/alfa/slid...r%20badges.jpg

GTAm: https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/att...1&d=1485304681

156: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1j81Ua5vUL.jpg

Grazie mille

I just did it because I like it. I've chosen a classy color on my Titanio Imola.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0685.jpg (122.0 KB, 14 views)
Giulietta 64 is offline  
Status: over the limit...
AO Silver Member
 
goremohekan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 1,677
Garage
a previous owner to me added the snake badge to the engine bay and front wings of the 166. I like them, so I left them on...unlike the "GPS" sticker on the boot which I suppose first owner thought was cool in 1999...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181111_154604.jpg (91.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Image0372.jpg (128.4 KB, 10 views)
Al Faromeo and Alfahol Addict like this.
goremohekan is offline  
(Post Link) post #17 of 21 Old 15-12-18 Thread Starter
Status: Loving my Giulietta
AO Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 32
Very subtle on both of yours above, looks great.

And my apologies if I've come across a bit knob-ish in my first posts, it definitely wasn't my intention.
Alfahol Addict is offline  
Status: She's happy to pootle
AO Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: United Kingdom
County: Surrey
Posts: 16,723
maybe it's something just as simple as it just looks cool If you have something nice (like the Alfa badge), why not flaunt it?

Not every decision has to have some technical/scientific reason behind it
Alfahol Addict likes this.
Scudetto is offline  
Status: 6 YEARS LYMPHOMA FREE!! :)
AO Silver Member
 
ronan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Belfast
County: Down
Posts: 4,921

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scudetto View Post
maybe it's something just as simple as it just looks cool if you have something nice (like the alfa badge), why not flaunt it?

Not every decision has to have some technical/scientific reason behind it
+1
ronan is offline  
Status: Petrol head
AO Platinum Member
 
cue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 31,493
Why do you think VW hired an ex-Alfa man to get some spirit into Audi then Seat?

https://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/15/.../?guccounter=1
Alfahol Addict likes this.
cue2 is online now  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
County: -
Posts: 2,300
Interesting stuff. I always thought the Milanese serpent was eating a child but the idea of rebirth only adds to the mythology of the occultic origins of the badge. It may be a reference as to the 'plague' which beset Israel whilst in the desert which was cured when the information was given to Moses that those who looked upon the statue of the serpent would be cured.

Why were certain parts of the badge are used in such a stylised way; I have no idea but it certainly adds to the intrigue of what must be the most interesting of all motoring badges.

Similar badges of semi occultic origins would be Vauxhall's Griffin and even Subaru's Stars of the Pleiades.
Alfahol Addict likes this.
Fruity is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
badges , biscione , meaning , stickers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome