Will the Twin Spark rise again? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 43 Old 12-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Garage
Will the Twin Spark rise again?

So does anyone think Alfa will doing anything with twin spark engine in the future? Obviously the twinny has been around some years now and they seem to be getting phased out - the JTS, MPI etc taking their place. Just have to wonder if there just isn't any room for improvement without totally changing the engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Re: Will the Twin Spark rise again?

No
jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

definately not. the days of taking a fiat engine and making a few head mods are over, instead modern alfas will use the exact same engines as fiats, with a remap at most.
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jug View Post
definately not. the days of taking a fiat engine and making a few head mods are over, instead modern alfas will use the exact same engines as fiats, with a remap at most.
If it stops alfa going bust, then i am all for it.

the t-spark is still in use today so it is not dead yet. I would prefer the 2.0 JTS to take over though, not those horrible GM JTS engines.

Still, there is always the Alfa 1.8 turbo to look foreward to (when is that coming out???)
jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransoman View Post
Still, there is always the Alfa 1.8 turbo to look foreward to (when is that coming out???)
the 1.8t-jet is a fiat engine that will be used in alfas, same as the 1.4t-jet and the 1.6JTD. the latter 2 will be used in the mi.to, but when the 1.8 actually makes it in to a production car is anyone's guess.

personaly i think the JTS is better than the TS
Rosso145

Room for improvement..............

Lots, starting with cambelt longevity!

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

I think twin spark technology will rise again, even if it within a different engine to the ones we are used to.

Maybe with a new Fiat/Alfa designed block with a JTS -TS head. Thats if 2 plugs, 4 valves and an injector could be made to fit in the cylinder head.
(Post Link) post #8 of 43 Old 12-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
Maybe with a new Fiat/Alfa designed block with a JTS -TS head. Thats if 2 plugs, 4 valves and an injector could be made to fit in the cylinder head.
Interesting thought. Maybe one day...
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire

Member car:

2002 GTV T.Spark

I'm sure it will be back The T.Spark is a part of Alfa's history.Fair enough it's had it's problems, but is still today a great engine.
Damien_C

Drove my mothers Mini today what an awful sounding engine. TS will hopefully be back better and badder than ever Great engines

Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Maybe we'll get the Triplet Spark enginesn next?

:coat: I deserved this one
Damien_C

Lol now that just going mad altogether you been having one of them Irish Coffee's BF haha

Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Wish I did mate
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellaura View Post
So does anyone think Alfa will doing anything with twin spark engine in the future?
Why would they?
"Hmm, I think there's room for improvement in our current engine range, Luigi. We needa more oil consumption, and bearings that destroy themselves. And we need to go back to timing belts with questionable reliability and incredibly frequent replacement intervals. But most importantly I think we need a second proprietary spark plug for every cylinder, to further increase servicing costs while giving next to no benefit whatsoever."
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

They are still producing the GT 1.8 TS though aren't they? So they are still in production? Albeit a little quietly.
AO Silver Member

Yeah I could see them putting 2 sparks & 4 valves per cyl onto a JTS head at some point - but no time soon because the current JTS 4 cyls are due to be replaced with slightly smaller turbo models - so at the mo it looks like the 2.2JTS will be replaced with a 1.8T around maybe 2010.

Let's hope the turbo models don't tend to sludge and die like the VAG turbo engines!
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_NZ View Post
Why would they?
"Hmm, I think there's room for improvement in our current engine range, Luigi. We needa more oil consumption, and bearings that destroy themselves. And we need to go back to timing belts with questionable reliability and incredibly frequent replacement intervals. But most importantly I think we need a second proprietary spark plug for every cylinder, to further increase servicing costs while giving next to no benefit whatsoever."

That should read "We need an engine that any idiot can neglect, and get away with it. We don't need it to be special to drive or have any heritage, we just need it to go and stop, just like an ordinary engine." Hence why they went with GM technology. It is robust but nothing special to drive. Although Alfa have done their best to try and inject some character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
Although Alfa have done their best to try and inject some character.
I thought engines ran on fuel and air
AO Member

County: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd_b View Post
I thought engines ran on fuel and air

Boom Boom
AO Silver Member

HEY! Now what if Alfa decided to develop a new engine with cam chains that require little or no maintenance running twin O/H cams, a nice exhaust manifold, all aluminium head/block/sump, with freestanding wet cast liners, virtually straight inlet pipes, four valves and twin sparks in the head and five main bearings. Perhaps some VERY special ones with oversized sumps to aid oil cooling and a pair of 45DCOE Webbers!

Oh! Hang on . . . . . . . .
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

I saw you at Autolusso last tuesday Paulus. Sorry I was wrapped up in GTA problems.. how could I miss those serpents.
TEJ
AO Member

Well the JTS is a direct injection engine and far more superior to the TS. No offence to the TS enthusiasts but as the D.I engine is better at atomising the fuel and creating a better burn, it's very unlikely that 2 plugs will be needed per cylinder as that was their primary goal. The injector is now located after the valve so I suspect valve design will be changing very soon. All modern engines will be D.I if they already are not (I work at NGK ) and also manufacturers have to go smaller on the CCs and add forced induction due to the emissions scenario. So V12s and V8s are likely to disappear in the future.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

How long before Alfa produce a Zero Spark engine? With direct injection, there's no reason to not use compression ignition, with varying compression ratios to prevent detonation? Mercedes now have a 1.8 petrol that takes an S-Class 0-60 in 7 seconds dead and still returns 40mpg...
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationAlfa View Post
I saw you at Autolusso last tuesday Paulus. Sorry I was wrapped up in GTA problems.. how could I miss those serpents.
No probs!

I ended up with the set of Red Leather from Wolverhampton! 'Tis nice!

ERRR Pud? Is that not the specification for a Deisel engine or am I missing something-K?

P
TEJ
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
How long before Alfa produce a Zero Spark engine? With direct injection, there's no reason to not use compression ignition, with varying compression ratios to prevent detonation? Mercedes now have a 1.8 petrol that takes an S-Class 0-60 in 7 seconds dead and still returns 40mpg...
Well, zero spark is still being explored and changes the characteristics of an engine greatly. It will not be mass produced for a long time yet (thankfully for me or else I'll be out of a job) and basically becomes a diesel engine. But as petrol is obviously easier to combust than diesel the compression ratio of the zero spark engine would have to revert back to around 10:1 from around 16:1 when it has warmed up. How this will give better performance I don't know...............

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
rise , spark , twin

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page