The little devil on your shoulder! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 36 Old 10-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Swansea
The little devil on your shoulder!

Being an alfa driver I try not to get involved with the traffic light grand prix as I feel that alfas have nothing to prove etc.

However, the little devil on my shoulder came out to play today! I was waiting at the lights when a mondeo ST220 pulled up along side me and started the engine revving routine and the passenger in his car was laughing and looking at me. At that point the red mist came down and I switched the STR button on and wound the window down ready for the wonderful sound!

Lets just say when the lights changed the ST220 driver had the shock of his life! The V6 alfa absolutely caned him and i stuck my hand out of the window and waved!!

When we arrived at the next traffic lights his passenger wasn't laughing any more just staring straight ahead!

God it feels great when your alfa does this. Anyone else had a similar experience? (Im sure I read about a GTA owner who caned a porsche boxter). I don't, as a rule look for this but today the world had to see the power of an alfa engine!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: The little devil on your shoulder!

Nice one!

Quote:
i stuck my hand out of the window and waved!!
reminds me of my dad!!!!

a mondeo isnt much of a conquest though surely

Many times in the Pulsar, not so much in the GTV.....should have bought a V6!
(Post Link) post #5 of 36 Old 10-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G5een View Post
reminds me of my dad!!!!

a mondeo isnt much of a conquest though surely
Those ST220's have a V6 engine with 220bhp! Thats 30 bhp more than me but he doesn't have an STR button. From 4000rpm the alfa V6 turns into an absolute hooligan. The noise is fantastic!!

true. but it is a ford don't forget, even my old corsa GSi would beat the v6's (not the st220) as that *** found out on the by-pass
(Post Link) post #7 of 36 Old 10-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Tell me more about the *** on the by-pass!
MPH
AO Silver Member

County: Nukunonu

Have found with the 1.6 box, it can punch above its weight. 60 mph+ they just whizz by!
I take on only short sprints now!
It whoops BMW 318's, 320's and 120's.

Eat my dust, dust eaters!
Admin Team

County: Hertfordshire

I am interested in the *** too

Nice one mid! I used to love that feeling in my old GTV V6 almost always someone in a BMW with me though!
(Post Link) post #10 of 36 Old 10-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Like I said the red mist normally doesn't come down but this idiot deserved it. The reputation of Alfa was at stake. It couldn't let the marque down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis View Post
Like I said the red mist normally doesn't come down but this idiot deserved it. The reputation of Alfa was at stake. It couldn't let the marque down!
Yip I agree!That is the same excuse I give my wife when I get provoked by a MG whilst I am in my classic Spider.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Quote:
You Didnt.! Id rather blow my engine !
AO Member

County: Dubayy

Member car:

Alfa-less

Quote:
Being an alfa driver I try not to get involved with the traffic light grand prix as I feel that alfas have nothing to prove etc.

However, the little devil on my shoulder came out to play today! I was waiting at the lights when a mondeo ST220 pulled up along side me and started the engine revving routine and the passenger in his car was laughing and looking at me. At that point the red mist came down and I switched the STR button on and wound the window down ready for the wonderful sound!

Lets just say when the lights changed the ST220 driver had the shock of his life! The V6 alfa absolutely caned him and i stuck my hand out of the window and waved!!

When we arrived at the next traffic lights his passenger wasn't laughing any more just staring straight ahead!

God it feels great when your alfa does this. Anyone else had a similar experience? (Im sure I read about a GTA owner who caned a porsche boxter). I don't, as a rule look for this but today the world had to see the power of an alfa engine!!
thanks for not letting us down! you the man

I know the exact feeling MLC. I have had many a 'child' in his corsa or fiesta try to race me to only be left behind as my car does 20-70 faster then he can change gear...

No, as was mentioned, Fiesta/Corsa/Golf's are not much challenge, but, in my '04 1.9JTD I managed to make a '55' plate 320d look a complete fool as he tried to race me off the round-about and down the by-pass, by the time I was slowing for my turning he was a good few car length behind me because I was doing 50 to turn left...

Love it!

Don't do it too often, screws up my economy
(Post Link) post #15 of 36 Old 10-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Why do other drivers have to feel they have beaten your alfa! It takes a very good car indeed to cane an alfa!
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

my best was embarrassing some t*t in a celica who'd been driving like a complete ******** starting in tesco's car park, then out on the road home - cutting people up, driving up my arse and generally being a [email protected] imagine my joy when we came side by side at the traffic lights and he was trying to catch my eye. so green went the lights and "see ya!" said al, he gave it absolutely everything but just couldn't keep up. he was then behind me for about 2 miles but stayed WAY behind me and drove like a vicar so he didn't have to suffer the humiliation of seeing me laughing my t*ts off in the rear view mirror

i'm getting a bit old for the traffic light grand prix i suppose but now and again it's good for the soul

- Keepin' it moist -

Quote:
Why do other drivers have to feel they have beaten your alfa! It takes a very good car indeed to cane an alfa!
I think itís an insecurity thing, they couldn't 'afford' an Alfa, so try to beat one to make their car acquisition justified. Which, obviously, itís not because Alfa's are sports cars, where as Mondeo's, Golf's and such are not
AO Platinum Member

my fave humiliation fodder for years have been passat tdi's. what the **** is it with bloody passat tdi drivers????

I find 'Beemers' the worst, they see and Alfa they got to race it, if he has got a 640i or something in that vein I don't bother, what’s the point, I have 150BHP be has something like 400! I wouldn't want to look like a w*nker trying to race something I am not going to beat, but, all these drivers of 316i/318i/320d/520d etc always get a heavy dose of my right foot if they ask for it, so far *touch wood* no 'losses,' no broken clutches/gears/drive shafts and no crashes...
(Post Link) post #20 of 36 Old 10-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACAPULCO AL View Post
my fave humiliation fodder for years have been passat tdi's. what the **** is it with bloody passat tdi drivers????
I know exactly what you mean! The trouble with the VW tdi is which version are you up against? Is it the 90, 110, 130, 150 or 170 bhp 1.9 engine? Still the alfa V6 canes it!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 3.2

A 986 2.5 Boxster goes to 60 in around 7s IIRC. The 2.7 in about 6.5s and the 3.2 BoxsterS in a bit less than 6s. A V6 GTA may well out drag a Boxster, but I'm not sure about the twisties. The Brera/159 3.2 with 4x4 will give it a good run for its money with the huge grip it has; the Boxster depends more on driver skill getting the best out of it. All cracking cars and a hoot to drive.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
I know exactly what you mean! The trouble with the VW tdi is which version are you up against? Is it the 90, 110, 130, 150 or 170 bhp 1.9 engine? Still the alfa V6 canes it!
i know i could demolish any of those in a drag (JTS does 0-62 in 8.2s) except maybe the 170bhp version, but i'd still fancy my chances against one of those from a standstill. my brother in law used to have the 130bhp one and i regularly used to blow him into the weeds with my old 2.0 focus
alfabay

For some stupid reason a child in a black Mircra (probably his mum's) thought he take me on at a set of lights tonight - He got so seriously caned and at the next roundabout (I waited so I could show him up a 2nd time) his passenger was doing the 'I'm looking straight ahead and pretending you're not there' thing.

AO Member

I got that racing feeling earlier, as with the fore-mentioned passat TDI drivers.

My 166 TS showed him who was boss!

At the same time a MG estate thing thought he'd try it on aswell, needless to say, the two 30 -50 years olds in each car looked sick as when they finally caught up and saw a 22 year old driving a car quicker than both of them.

That was pure satisfaction all rolled up into a perfect saturday afternoon.

Alfas truely are one of the best mid-priced cars in this world

I LOVE THEM!
Damien_C

E34 BMW 520's I enjoy beating Other than that not much cos it aint no speed demon.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
devil , shoulder

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page