Oil Consumption - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 25 Old 09-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

166 3.2 Lusso Ti

Oil Consumption

Evening All,

I'm quite odd, in that I have only ever owned alfas, most of them over 13 years old, and I am equally paranoid about checking oil level/tyre pressures, etc at least every time I fill up with fuel.

If I speak to non alfa owners (The Lost Sheep I like to call them) there parting shot after I mention my alfa ownership is something about rust (the 80's one did), unreliability (the 80's ones were "electrically tempremental") or oil consumption.

I usually put them right about these points, rust is preventable, as is unreliability if your a bit handy with a multimeter and crimp tool, but oil consumption I usually put down to the fact that the engines are so rewarding to take past 4000 rpm, so they will use more oil than a mondeo lump which never gets past 2K.

To the point, how much oil do you guys actually use?

I have just moved to a much more modern Alfa (166 3.2Ti), after writing off a 164 Cloverleaf, which did drink oil, perhaps 0.5L per 1000 miles/5 full tanks of juice. When i picked up the 166, the oil was on the bottom of the dipstick mark, so I topped it up before driving from Bristol back to London. I haven't topped fuel up yet (been on holiday and haven't had a chance to drive it much), so I haven't checked the oil yet, and wondering what is reasonable burn/consumption, and what was indicative of a leak.

Anwser on back of a postcard, etc

Regards

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Turin Brakes

Re: Oil Consumption

My 147 slurps about 0.25 litres per 1000 miles which equates to two 1litre bottles between services. I rev the engine pretty hard (you have to with the 1.6).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turin Brakes View Post
My 147 slurps about 0.25 litres per 1000 miles which equates to two 1litre bottles between services. I rev the engine pretty hard (you have to with the 1.6).
yeah that sounds about right... i keep a 5ltr container of oil in the shed & a 1ltr bottle to fill up & keep in the car.
Handiest way i've found so far..

And as for revving the engine hard...... don't get me started
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

I have had a few twin sparks, (7 to be exact) the worst one used about 1 litre every 1000 miles, the best one used about 100ml every 1000 miles.

The ones with the highest mileages tended to use less, although I have heard some exceptions.
AO Member

145 uses a 1 litre of Selenia HPX 20W50 every 1k and yes its revved hard from time to time (7250 max) One year old 159 2.2 JTS has used just .25l in 7k, its also revved hard from time to time (6500max)
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

My GTV TS barely uses a drop, don't have to top up between oil changes which are usually about every 4K.

my 2.0 JTS doesnt use much. but i dont rag the **** off the poor thing though! infact i barely use it nowadays.

im on 36K miles

Last edited by G5een; 10-05-08 at 19:33. Reason: mileage
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

147 GTA Q2

Ok, ive done 12000 ish miles in the last year, I have topped up with about 4 litres of oil, this isnt an accurate figure though as I have had two oil changes in that time.

I would say that oil consumption is around the litre per 3000 miles then.

My car is driven fairly sedately with the occasional spurt to 6k revs, my mleage is 95kmiles.

Perhaps it would be useful if people state the mileages and how the car is driven too?
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar 145 View Post
Ok, ive done 12000 ish miles in the last year, I have topped up with about 4 litres of oil, this isnt an accurate figure though as I have had two oil changes in that time.

I would say that oil consumption is around the litre per 3000 miles then.

My car is driven fairly sedately with the occasional spurt to 6k revs, my mleage is 95kmiles.

Perhaps it would be useful if people state the mileages and how the car is driven too?
Mines a 97 P1 and now at 95K and driven enthusiastically, who can resist ? As I posted before I hardly ever have to top up between changes. Bought 5 litres 2 years ago and it's stil half full, or half empty, depending on your take on life !

Some TS use more oil than others for some reason and looking at yours it doesn't seem too bad. As long as you're not pumping blue smoke from the exhaust I personally would not be concerned.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

My V6 doesn't used a drop. I thought it did, but there was just a little weep from the oil filter, since its had new oil and filter it hasn't used a drop.
AO Silver Member

County: East Dunbartonshire
Garage

In the last 12K I used about 1.5 litres. That said I have already slammed in 1/2 litre in the last 2000!!
Darren156

I take my Mondeo past 5000RPM on a daily basis and to be fair it does use quite a bit of oil, but as long as you keep an eye out for it you'll be okay. So maybe it's just that if you're mental behind the wheel, and I am, you'll use more oil. Whether you are in a Lamborghini Diablo or a Vauxhall Nova,

But hey, two Mondeo remarks from members in the space of one day, I'm impressed,

AO Silver Member

County: -

I have been waiting anxiously to open my oil bottle and drop some in but so far there has been no need. Had the car 2 months-ish and covered around 2000 miles in it-ish. I check it almost daily and it nevers lowers. Topped up the selespeed twice though.
AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Lusso

mine was half way down the stick after six months and about 3,000 miles. so just had it changed when it was in for another job at the alfa carers.
AO Platinum Member

My young T/S uses a litre of 10W40 every 6000 miles.

My old warhorse v6 (12v) uses a litre every 2500 miles but it probably leaks more than it burns, judging by the mess out the back of the oil filter.

Ralf S.
AO Member

i check the levels on our 1.8 156 each saturday and it has not used alot either. swmbo uses the car every day, all local as well. perhaps she is not gunning it enough
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire

the 145 never used a drop. fairly mixed driving, occasional foray into high revs (6k+) about twice a week.
jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

i use 140ml per 1000miles, perfectly acceptable imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyriser
oil consumption I usually put down to the fact that the engines are so rewarding to take past 4000 rpm
you've been reading that "race technology" sticker on your windscreen again havent you? its a poor excuse.
i put it down to badly fitting piston rings, mostly because that is the cause, and party because i dont feel the need to deny it.

plenty of other engines rev even higher and dont use a drop, just ask a v-tec owner.
AO Silver Member

My 2.0 twin spark used about 0.5 litres per 3000 miles. My 2.2 JTS has used no oil at all.
AO Silver Member

My black 33 never uses any oil. It has done about 175,000km and a couple of track days now.
My grey 33 doesn't use any either, except for when the dipstick popped out on the last track day, causing my car to leave a smoke trail around left hand bends as the oil spilt out onto the exhaust...
Both cars very occasionally do the boxer trick of letting oil into the cylinders when parked on a sideways slope. You get clouds of smoke on startup then everything's back to normal. So they certainly use oil then, but I don't count that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim
"PS and you agree with Ben so you must be wrong "
AO Member

County: Noord Brabant

My V6 which has done 185k km uses about 1 liter of Agip 10w40 per 2500km. It's a daily driver and I occasionally rev it into the fun zone...

Before it used 1 liter per 1500km but an engine "flush" (with special oil) reduced the consumption significantly.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by GauchoV6 View Post
My V6 which has done 185k km uses about 1 liter of Agip 10w40 per 2500km. It's a daily driver and I occasionally rev it into the fun zone...

Before it used 1 liter per 1500km but an engine "flush" (with special oil) reduced the consumption significantly.
Alfa recommend Selenia Racing 20K 10W/60 Fully synth for 'sporty driving'. You might consider this at the next oil change, and it might help to reduce your oil consumption too
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

My 2.5 V6 is 9 years old, has done 75,000 miles, is regularly driven hard and never uses any oil
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 jts

Had my 2.0 jts 2 months now and about 2 thousand miles with no top up as yet but my `98 1.8 ts needed regular top ups !
Global Mod Team

County: British Columbia
Garage

My 77 Spider needed topping up all the time, My 93 has never been topped up (she's had the top end redone) and my 94 has dropped below the full so I guess it's time to top it up. (1K miles)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
consumption , oil

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page