Thinking about a change of car (again!) - Idea's please - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 26 Old 09-05-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Bristol
Posts: 1,563

Member car:

Alfa GT

Thinking about a change of car (again!) - Idea's please

I am looking at a possible change of car again.

I have owned :-

1999 Alfa 156 2.4 JTD
2005 Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Veloce
2004 Alfa GT 1.9 JTD

and I currently have a 2001 Alfa GTV 3.0 V6 (which is in perfect condition in every way - mechanically/bodywork e.t.c , low miles), but I still have a hankering for something with fuel economy in the 30+ zone, it needs to have super quick steering, agile handling, character and soul. and RWD ! Nothing that will be hitting £400 tax bands (luckily my GTV avoids it)

I generally hate japanese cars (DC5's no thanks) and VTEC units are my idea of hell. Though I did enjoy the 350z (very surprising car), I find the steering on BMW's to be too slow, same for Mercedes and most german cars.

I have been mulling over a number of ideas (quite a random selection):-

-TVR Chimera (Insurance will be a problem as I have only just turned 23)
-Alfa Spider (Duetto/Kamm Tail, don't like the rubber backed one, and the latest S4 is a possibility)
- Alfa Giulia (but as with the Spider, slightly concerned about using it as a daily car)
-Vauxhall VX220 Turbo (prefer the Lotus S2 shape, but the Vauxhall offers the same as the S2 ...with a little more chucked in, also vastly cheaper insurance).
Considered a Corvette C5 (but I don't think it will dynamically work for me)

Other comments:-

- I currently have no access to a garage
- Driven lots of 911's and Boxsters and found the Elise/VX220 better in almost every way.
- I love the Fiat Coupe, but want to move away from FWD.
- Lancia Delta Integrale - Thought it over and unfortunately discounted.

Ideas/suggestions, up to £14k for the perfect car.
V6Alfisti is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: V8, baby. V8
AO Silver Member
 
Commanderfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SW London
Posts: 5,559
Re: Thinking about a change of car (again!) - Idea's please

Sounds like an impossible task at that price range if you want handling, style, power AND RWD... I think you are doing really well with a 3.0 GTV to be honest!
Commanderfish is offline  
Status: -
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 315
Re: Thinking about a change of car (again!) - Idea's please

bmw 330ci, audi TT
tomcole19 is offline  
Status: V8, baby. V8
AO Silver Member
 
Commanderfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SW London
Posts: 5,559
Re: Thinking about a change of car (again!) - Idea's please

Yeah I would have said M3, but you quite rightly do not approve of BMW handling (my mum has had 3 BMWs in a row, yawn yawn yawn)
Commanderfish is offline  
(Post Link) post #5 of 26 Old 09-05-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Bristol
Posts: 1,563

Member car:

Alfa GT

Re: Thinking about a change of car (again!) - Idea's please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderfish View Post
Sounds like an impossible task at that price range if you want handling, style, power AND RWD... I think you are doing really well with a 3.0 GTV to be honest!
It might be a case of keeping the GTV (as its very hard to find something that is so quick, feels so special) and buying a Caterham 7 (or locost)/ classic Alfa Spider for the weekend. (Probably the Caterham in that circumstance)

I would really like a Maserati 3200/Ferrari 348 (both insurable), but keeping one of those until I am 25 and have had some RWD experience under my belt.

Even a Mazda MX5 has crossed my mind, they are reasonably nippy in 1.8 form, they handle incredibly well, RWD, lightweight...and as much as I love the pop up lights, I like masculine cars.
V6Alfisti is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Herefordshire
Posts: 833
Re: Thinking about a change of car (again!) - Idea's please

Ever thought about a Morgan Plus 8? They're an acquired taste but good fun. I had one and got about 25mpg. Something more economical could be a Morgan Plus 4. If you could find one with the Fiat twin cam engine you'd have a quick sports car with 30+ mpg. They're quite rare but are about.
caradoc is offline  
(Post Link) post #7 of 26 Old 09-05-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Bristol
Posts: 1,563

Member car:

Alfa GT

Re: Thinking about a change of car (again!) - Idea's please

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcole19 View Post
bmw 330ci, audi TT
Thanks for the suggestions Tom, have driven a number of BMW's including the 330ci, it just wasn't my bag.

Love the TT dash, but it is an underwelming car to drive
V6Alfisti is offline  
Status: V6 Inside
AO Silver Member
 
ransoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Aberdeenshire
Posts: 4,881
Re: Thinking about a change of car (again!) - Idea's please

I think the M3 is the only one i can think of that fits the bill, but it is a BMW :s
ransoman is offline  
(Post Link) post #9 of 26 Old 09-05-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Bristol
Posts: 1,563

Member car:

Alfa GT

Re: Thinking about a change of car (again!) - Idea's please

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradoc View Post
Ever thought about a Morgan Plus 8? They're an acquired taste but good fun. I had one and got about 25mpg. Something more economical could be a Morgan Plus 4. If you could find one with the Fiat twin cam engine you'd have a quick sports car with 30+ mpg. They're quite rare but are about.
I was shown round a couple of Morgan's at my local Lotus dealer, fantastic cars, very old school but they are big money (for a toy).

An AC Cobra replica in blue with a V8 would be very tasty (there goes my 30mpg+ idea)
V6Alfisti is offline  
(Post Link) post #10 of 26 Old 09-05-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Bristol
Posts: 1,563

Member car:

Alfa GT

Re: Thinking about a change of car (again!) - Idea's please

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransoman View Post
I think the M3 is the only one i can think of that fits the bill, but it is a BMW :s
That's one BMW I still haven't driven...and know I probably should, but luckily for me the insurance is sky high and am sure it would be in the top tax rating.

I don't think I could stomach a massive increase in tax/insurance, my business head just doesn't accept it
V6Alfisti is offline  
Graham P
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Thinking about a change of car (again!) - Idea's please

No don't do it!!!

The thought of changing my car has caused me too much anguish over the last few weeks Don't do the same to yourself!

Stick with what you have
 
(Post Link) post #12 of 26 Old 09-05-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Bristol
Posts: 1,563

Member car:

Alfa GT

Re: Thinking about a change of car (again!) - Idea's please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham P View Post
No don't do it!!!

The thought of changing my car has caused me too much anguish over the last few weeks Don't do the same to yourself!

Stick with what you have


I have always had itchy feet when it comes to cars.
V6Alfisti is offline  
Status: zzzzzzzz
AO Platinum Member
 
symon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 37,094
Re: Thinking about a change of car (again!) - Idea's please

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Alfisti View Post


I have always had itchy feet when it comes to cars.
I think you and Darren156 would get along.
symon is offline  
Graham P
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Thinking about a change of car (again!) - Idea's please

I like your idea of the VX220 to be honest. I was behind one today and it sounding the business
 
(Post Link) post #15 of 26 Old 09-05-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Bristol
Posts: 1,563

Member car:

Alfa GT

Re: Thinking about a change of car (again!) - Idea's please

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
I think you and Darren156 would get along.
Didn't he own a Mondeo
V6Alfisti is offline  
(Post Link) post #16 of 26 Old 09-05-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Bristol
Posts: 1,563

Member car:

Alfa GT

Re: Thinking about a change of car (again!) - Idea's please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham P View Post
I like your idea of the VX220 to be honest. I was behind one today and it sounding the business
I really need something with the dynamics of an Elise in my life, and I think the Turbo would give me the oomph I need.

I have been on the look out for a while, but my needs are very specific.

Colour/Mileage/Hard Top/Stage 2 and price.

A perfect one sold a week before I started looking
V6Alfisti is offline  
HSTDriver
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Thinking about a change of car (again!) - Idea's please

I'm no help to you I'm afraid. I'll probably be turning japanese (what was that song about again? ) when I eventually get rid of my Alfa.

Jap cars aren't everyones cup of tea, but the best performance ones are better than the vast majority of the cars on the road.
 
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Friggertool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: East Spiral Arm of Galaxy
Posts: 3,402

Member car:

Brera 3.2

Re: Thinking about a change of car (again!) - Idea's please

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Alfisti View Post
I am looking at a possible change of car again.

I have owned :-

1999 Alfa 156 2.4 JTD
2005 Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Veloce
2004 Alfa GT 1.9 JTD

and I currently have a 2001 Alfa GTV 3.0 V6 (which is in perfect condition in every way - mechanically/bodywork e.t.c , low miles), but I still have a hankering for something with fuel economy in the 30+ zone, it needs to have super quick steering, agile handling, character and soul. and RWD ! Nothing that will be hitting 400 tax bands (luckily my GTV avoids it)

I generally hate japanese cars (DC5's no thanks) and VTEC units are my idea of hell. Though I did enjoy the 350z (very surprising car), I find the steering on BMW's to be too slow, same for Mercedes and most german cars.

I have been mulling over a number of ideas (quite a random selection):-

-TVR Chimera (Insurance will be a problem as I have only just turned 23)
-Alfa Spider (Duetto/Kamm Tail, don't like the rubber backed one, and the latest S4 is a possibility)
- Alfa Giulia (but as with the Spider, slightly concerned about using it as a daily car)
-Vauxhall VX220 Turbo (prefer the Lotus S2 shape, but the Vauxhall offers the same as the S2 ...with a little more chucked in, also vastly cheaper insurance).
Considered a Corvette C5 (but I don't think it will dynamically work for me)

Other comments:-

- I currently have no access to a garage
- Driven lots of 911's and Boxsters and found the Elise/VX220 better in almost every way.
- I love the Fiat Coupe, but want to move away from FWD.
- Lancia Delta Integrale - Thought it over and unfortunately discounted.

Ideas/suggestions, up to 14k for the perfect car.
You might like to have a look at a X308 Jaguar (that's the model before the current one) - either the XJ Sport or XJR. These cars don't look like they'd outhandle a canal barge, but you couldn't be more wrong. The XJR is particularly brilliant and the Sport isn't far behind - I used to have one. They've both got a lovely big V8 and are stuffed with creature comforts; even the dashboard clock looks like a Rolex dress watch. And with all that wood and leather it's such a nice place to be. I sold my S reg XJ Sport five years ago for 8K

MELLY CHRISTMAS FROM BAGGE-ON-THE-HANDLEBROKE
Friggertool is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 518
Re: Thinking about a change of car (again!) - Idea's please

Wait for 159 GTA!!!
NordicI55 is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Friggertool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: East Spiral Arm of Galaxy
Posts: 3,402

Member car:

Brera 3.2

Re: Thinking about a change of car (again!) - Idea's please

14K?
Friggertool is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 518
Re: Thinking about a change of car (again!) - Idea's please

did'nt say how long he should wait
NordicI55 is offline  
Status: zzzzzzzz
AO Platinum Member
 
symon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 37,094
Re: Thinking about a change of car (again!) - Idea's please

For 14K I would go for the Nissan 350z. I don't car if Clarkson doesn't like them.
symon is offline  
(Post Link) post #23 of 26 Old 10-05-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Bristol
Posts: 1,563

Member car:

Alfa GT

Re: Thinking about a change of car (again!) - Idea's please

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
For 14K I would go for the Nissan 350z. I don't car if Clarkson doesn't like them.
They are fantastic cars, but I am now leaning towards the VX220 Turbo as it seems to give me everything I want, at the same time I know I will really miss the GTV .

A weekend of mulling over is required methinks.

Thanks for everyones contributions
V6Alfisti is offline  
Status: Cento per cento del cuore di sport !!!
AO Silver Member
 
alfa scozia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: South Lanarkshire
Posts: 3,133
Re: Thinking about a change of car (again!) - Idea's please

SZ Here is a nice one in Holland for 34000 euro

Last edited by alfa scozia; 07-07-09 at 07:05.
alfa scozia is offline  
(Post Link) post #25 of 26 Old 10-05-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Bristol
Posts: 1,563

Member car:

Alfa GT

Re: Thinking about a change of car (again!) - Idea's please

Quote:
Originally Posted by 166v6 View Post
Very tasty (in a strange kind of way), there is one on pistonheads for around £18000 as well.

I REALLY like this as well

1963 Alfa Romeo Giulia Spyder 101 series 1600 For Sale on Car And Classic UK
V6Alfisti is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
car , change , idea , thinking

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome