156gta - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 06-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Antrim
156gta

I've just happened across a 156GTA for sale locally.It's well priced,low miles AND Rosso! Haven't been to view yet,but I'm very tempted.However the potential running costs are scaring me a bit.I'd like to hear experiences of owners and thier views.Are the reletively high costs worth it?Part of me says no-on our congested camera patrolled roads I'd probably rarely get to use the full performance anyway-another part of me says,in ten years time we will all be driving battery powered Tatas and if I don't get a GTA now I maybe never will Your views please

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Alfa Romeo 147 GTA + Alfa Romeo 156 GTA Sportwagon + Guillietta 150 Super Veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Re: 156gta

The thing about the GTA is that you don't NEED to use its full performance.
It feels special (and makes you feel special) even when pootling.

It ain't cheap to run, but if you can afford it, it's definitely worth it.
Damien_C

Go for it buddy you will only regret it later in life. I shall own a V6 Alfa some day.

EddieGTA

I second what bazza says. If you can afford the tax and servicing costs of a GTA, get it. I got rid of my integrale because on top of the high service costs the fuel consumption was 20 mpg at best, with 26 achieved once on a run doing 60mph most the way.

Pootling about the GTA can get 25 mpg around the houses and 35 mpg on a long run, which I think is bloody good!

Ferryman_1957

If you get a GTA you will find the nice roads where you can really enjoy it within legal limits. You don't need to drive at over 80 to enjoy it (in fact I find that boring because it's just cruising). It's a lovely torquey engine that delivers the power all the way through the gears. I got to near 7000 rpm in 2nd and 3rd legally today and it was fantastic!

They are more costly to service than a normal 156 but if you get a well sorted one they needn't be that costly. Alternatively, get a bargain and be prepared to invest a bit in it and you will be rewarded with a very special experience. It's taken me a year to get mine to where I want it, I plan to keep it for another 4-5 years, at which point I reckon that 149 GTAs will be about 2 years old (and that's my planned replacement).

There's loads of good advice in the GTA section, including a fantastic buyers guide by Chris155 IIRC. Just do your research on this site first so you go in with your eyes open.

Even though GTAs are becoming more affordable, they will remain a relatively exclusive club because there were not that many of them in the UK.

Cheers,

Nigel

(Post Link) post #6 of 21 Old 06-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for your views guys.Now to arrange a test drive,and hopefully my mechanic(ex Alfa) can come with me.
Ferryman_1957

That sounds like a plan - get someone thyat really knows them to takke a look.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Cheers,

Nigel

AO Silver Member

I've the 147 GTA and I love it. Insurance is less than £800 and I've always been qouted less on a 156 GTA (grp 18 on the 156 as opposed to 19 on the 147). On short runs in and out of Belfast I get about 21mpg but 27-28 on longer runs and managed 30mpg when over on the mainland doing long motorway cruises.

Mine is due it's 3 year service which I've been quoted around £220 mark (that includes a 10% discount for being in the NIIMC).

The 147 has been totally reliable so far and only now has started the squeaky suspension which is being sorted under 3rd year warranty. I also need front discs which I'm hoping will be done under warranty. The oil needs topped up from time to time but uses very little, certainly a lot less than I used to put in my 2.0 Tspark.

The GTA models are so rare that they always attract comments and compliments from people and that V6 burble turns a few heads too

Go on go for it, you'll enjoy it.

Hard work never killed anyone.

That’s the trouble – I want to engage in something that has a little danger to it
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post

Certainly ain't cheap to run!

But my god is it rewarding.
AO Member

County: Edinburgh

Go for it!

I have had my 147 GTA for three years and the costs aren't too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post

Bazza, couldn't have said it better myself, you HAVE to own a GTA at some point in your life!
(Post Link) post #12 of 21 Old 08-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thats my thinking too-even if I only keep it a couple of years.I know I'll regret it if I never own one!One problem is its a private sale,so no trade-in.Anyone want to buy an excellent 156 JTS?
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Bung it in the classifieds on here, and on Pistonheads, you never know...
AO Silver Member

County: Fife

Member car:

500 twinair

I'm thinking similar you at the moment........do I get a GTA now before motoring costs get even higher, and just have it as my only car instead of running 2!
Or wait till GTAs are even cheaper and still run 2 cars........
Or get a newer Alfa diesel, to throw a spanner in the works, the 2.4s are powerfull, and much cheaper to run.........but I think I would regret not buying a V6!
Ferryman_1957

The 156 GTA is a very practical everyday car. That's why I love it. All the benefits of a 156 and it purrs along in 6th on the mway. You can get 25-30 mpg if you drive like an old woman, but floor it and angels start caressing your squidgy bits.

Cheers,

Nigel

AO Member

County: Gwynedd

go for it matey we only live once, best thing i ever did was purchase a V6 never regretted it even though everything has gone wrong with the damn car! but my baby is well worth it
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

I'm considering a 147GTA too, does anyone know how much the road tax is going to be after these changes? I'm struggling to find out.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

£440 next year, £450 the year after.
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

Thanks Bazza, I'm not going to let it stop me - I just wanted to know what I was getting myself into!
mudhut

The thing about the GTA is that although it's fine as a daily driver (as mine is), using it that way takes the edge off the experience IMO. I love the thingto bits but would much prefer to not to have to use it all the time - "absence makes the heart grow fonder" as they say.

I don't know how anybody gets 25 mpg around town and local driving. I manage between 18 and 19 locally and have never had an average over 26 on a trip (except for the purely motorway part). As soon as I get off the m/way the average quickly falls to the 26-ish mark.

Fuel consumption is the car's weakness IMO - even a 350Z is better.

(Post Link) post #21 of 21 Old 11-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for all the views-unfortunately the car was sold before I got to see it!Now I've got the bug though I'll keep looking.Problem is the shortage of GTAs over here-very rarely one comes up for sale,and the hassle of travelling to England/Scotland to see a car which could turn out to be crap-£200/£300 wasted on the journey/accomodation etc.There are some nice looking 147s and 156 GTAs on pistonheads etc,but first I would have to shift my own car and then go looking.Alfas are hard to sell over here,unless you are prepared to take a stupid price for them.The one Alfa dealer never has any used stock worth looking at because the trade-ins he offers are so rediculously low that most people dont buy another Alfa,therefore they have no used stock.Catch 22

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
156gta

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page