Why I love my gtv - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 05-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Cornwall
Why I love my gtv

Pretty straightforward this- there's been loads of What do you like/dislike about your car etc, but it's my go to give it a bit of praise...

I've had my car since October 2006, and even the purchase of it was an event.. Looking at a GTV was a bit of a fluke really, the only experiences I had had of alfas were tales of alfasud's going like stink, rust, reliability and an older friend who when I was still walking everywhere, had an early gold! GTV 2.0 - that was the most exotic thing I had ever seen back then.

I wanted to replace my 206 with something a bit more out of the ordinary, and drew up a shortlist of all the different options:

Fiat Coupe Turbo
Toyota MR2
Nissan 240
VW Corrado
Audi Coupe
BMW M3 (e36)..

The list was endless. Ruled out the fiat for being common, and for my money, chavved and raced to hell, the Jap stuff just wasn't me, the Corrado was too old, and the BMW had an image problem in my mind..

I'd run into a bit of a wall - the car had to have leather, a sunroof preferably, over 200bhp, Climate control and look gorgeous, all for up to 6k.

It was only browsing ebay I spotted my first GTV V6, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Since buying it, I keep finding new ways to spend money, but keeping on top of it means bills are kept to a minimum..

The reasons I love my car are as follows:

It looks amazing, and refuses to date - divides attention just like it did back at launch, it drives just as well as any rear drive car I've played with, and despite being an archaic design compared to the modern stuff i work with, it still brings a smile to my face on quick, sweeping bends.

The engine's a work of art, both visually and when it's over 4000 rpm, keep it over that band and it just flies. Not supercar quick, but definitely special. Every downshift makes me grin, and it doesn't half shift on when you need it to.

It still winds me up occasionally,when the clutch pedal clicks every time I depress it and the pretty poor way the car crashes over cobbles and broken roads, but I can't say these bits would stop me buying another one.

Cheers for giving me the space to ramble, hope some other guys feel the same way!

"molto costoso ed emozionante"

If the haynes museum find any nuts attached to a fence, Hammy'd like em back..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ferryman_1957

Re: Why I love my gtv

Glad you love her. They are nice looking cars. Get some suspension upgrades to stop the crashiness, then you have your perfect car! I've just done the same to my GTA and it has made a huge diference.

Cheers,

Nigel

AO Member

Re: Why I love my gtv

I stumbled upon my GT almost just as luckily.

My mate and I were both in the market for new cars. He had gone into our local Alfa garage just by chance and spotted the GT which was more in his budget and the 147 Q2 Sport which was more in mine.

He dragged me in there and I liked the 147 but the interior and the boot were small. I loved the GT for it's pure James Bond style looks and huge wheels but not in my price bracket.

Then the salesman introduced us to the GT Blackline.

A very very reasonable price considering the spec level and whilst not the fastest car (needed to slow down after gaining 12 points in 4 years with a Skoda Fabia vRS) it certainly is the most beautifull for under 20k and has 18's

A good size boot, cruise control and dual-climate. Engine is fairly good over 4k and I love the un-translated half-italian dashboard. Superbly comfy. I catch myself looking at the car in shop windows when stationary!

The kids love it too. Missus loves driving it. Win Win Win!

Glad you love your Alfa too. Looking forward to the next 4 years with this one.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
gtv , love

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page