Dont buy BP fuel email - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 34 Old 03-05-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Stevie28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 578
Dont buy BP fuel email

Email went around at work, trying to garner the country to avoid using BP petrol stations, at protest to their profiteering bumping up margins as oil cost increases... What you reckon?
Stevie28 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: Resting from alfa
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: North Yorkshire
Posts: 3,508

Member car:

GIULIETTA 2.0

Re: Dont buy BP fuel email

Think it's a great idea and needs to happen but all you get in the pathetic country from people is the reasons NOT to do any kind of protest....

Queue bull**** reasons why it won't work.....[rollseyes]
mikeyw is offline  
Nev
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Dont buy BP fuel email

Why BP in particular?
 
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
keithglos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Gloucestershire
Posts: 1,786
Re: Dont buy BP fuel email

Seen this before, it does not work.
So buy from Tesco instead, who have just had a delivery from whichever of the large oil companies have the nearest distribution point.
In the early 70's we had a similar rise in fuel. When a forecourt friend of mine refused to serve a casual customer (he was still supplying local people) he was accused of profiteering. As it happened 1 rise was about twice his gross margin on fuel. He suggested the if the man wanted 10 gallons it would be cheaper for the retailer to give him a pound to go somewhere else.
Totally blank look, could not see the point, but true enough.
Our loving government certainly like the increase (as everything else they are in to short term measures) because they will claim extra "windfall" tax from the oil companies. In truth what has happened is that the fuel in stock has risen, what would be the effect if it fell sharply back again?

Croma Owner
keithglos is offline  
Status: Resting from alfa
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: North Yorkshire
Posts: 3,508

Member car:

GIULIETTA 2.0

Re: Dont buy BP fuel email

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithglos View Post
Seen this before, it does not work.
So buy from Tesco instead, who have just had a delivery from whichever of the large oil companies have the nearest distribution point.
In the early 70's we had a similar rise in fuel. When a forecourt friend of mine refused to serve a casual customer (he was still supplying local people) he was accused of profiteering. As it happened 1 rise was about twice his gross margin on fuel. He suggested the if the man wanted 10 gallons it would be cheaper for the retailer to give him a pound to go somewhere else.
Totally blank look, could not see the point, but true enough.
Our loving government certainly like the increase (as everything else they are in to short term measures) because they will claim extra "windfall" tax from the oil companies. In truth what has happened is that the fuel in stock has risen, what would be the effect if it fell sharply back again?
So what about the shop at said BP garage ? - will it sell anything with no customers, will it's staff get paid with nothing to do ? Will Gordon Clown just ignore the situation???? of course it'll work and cause a big problem for BP and get loads of media coverage.....stop been so defeatist
mikeyw is offline  
(Post Link) post #6 of 34 Old 03-05-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Stevie28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 578
Re: Dont buy BP fuel email

I think its odd that the cost per barrel of oil is increasing, and so is the profit being reported by fuel companies such as BP.

Are they taking the cost of manufacturing the fuel and adding a % markup? Which of course would create a bigger profit for them.

I think we should all go back to Horses.................
Stevie28 is offline  
Status: Missing my 155
AO Silver Member
 
dabsafc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Durham
Posts: 1,253
Garage

Member car:

156 Gta Q2

Re: Dont buy BP fuel email

I think we should all go back to Horses.................[/QUOTE]

Yeah 150 italian horses im my case and lots more for the lucky Gta owners
dabsafc is offline  
Nev
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Dont buy BP fuel email

I never use BP anyway so does that count?
 
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Holmfirth (west Yorks)
Posts: 96

Member car:

156 Veloce

Re: Dont buy BP fuel email

Haha this is completely ridiculous. The problem isn't with BP or any other supplier of fuel, they charge around 38p per litre of fuel, the garage takes around 4p forcourt charges and guess who takes the other 60/70ish pence?... Correct tax.

If we only had to pay what BP or anyone else want for petrol then i wouldn't mind one bit. The tax rate on fuel is ridiculous but its never going to drop unless people stop buying fuel full stop, which will never happen. The government win all ways, people need fuel so its always being bought and they reap a massive tax off it, and if people stopped buying fuel they'de be glad of the drop in emissions (Even though we all know car emissions do jack to the environment in the long term) and keep the tax there anyway.

Maybe your office email/letter/whatever should be suggesting ways to seige the government rather than a feeble attempt at boycotting fuel stations, to which nobody responds.

Sam O'Keefe is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 155
Re: Dont buy BP fuel email

One good reason for not buying from BP filling stations is because they are consistently more expensive than anyone else. Certainly around where I live and work they are always at least 2p more per litre. Not much I grant you but when there's a Shell just a mile away you have to object to the arrogance.
zygote is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Friggertool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: East Spiral Arm of Galaxy
Posts: 3,402

Member car:

Brera 3.2

Re: Dont buy BP fuel email

Near where I live BP charge 3p more than the Shell station up the road. Near where i work BP charge the same as Morrisons over the road. Shell up the road from Morrisons charge 1p more. Just my 2p worth.
Friggertool is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Holmfirth (west Yorks)
Posts: 96

Member car:

156 Veloce

Re: Dont buy BP fuel email

Its different everywhere, which probably stems from differing forecourt charges. My local BPs are the same as the supermarkets and Shells. Plus my 156 runs best on BP regular so i use that
Sam O'Keefe is offline  
(Post Link) post #13 of 34 Old 04-05-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Stevie28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 578
Re: Dont buy BP fuel email

Quote:
Originally Posted by zygote View Post
One good reason for not buying from BP filling stations is because they are consistently more expensive than anyone else. Certainly around where I live and work they are always at least 2p more per litre. Not much I grant you but when there's a Shell just a mile away you have to object to the arrogance.
I agree i live in midlands and i avoid BP where possible as they are the most expensive, i think they win from people being lazy......

I think the same as the government implemented a fixed tax rate on fuel, that legislation should be bought in so that the manufacturers/disributors profit should be fixed, not a markup, at least then we wont suffer as high prices, they oil companies would probably turn on the oil suppliers as well then
Stevie28 is offline  
(Post Link) post #14 of 34 Old 04-05-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Stevie28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 578
Re: Dont buy BP fuel email

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam O'Keefe View Post
Maybe your office email/letter/whatever should be suggesting ways to seige the government rather than a feeble attempt at boycotting fuel stations, to which nobody responds.
Yes, shall we create a politburo after there overthrow?? Its not the government tax that is causing the increase that is the same as it has been, its a fixed amount, i.e. in the US where fuel is very cheap they are still angry and up in arms over the cost rise, thats down to the base cost of the raw material and markup on that base cost that manufacturers are applying e.g. if oil cost £1 (for ease of calculation) and BP manufacturers petrol and always adds 30% then they will charge £1.30 and make £0.30 profit (ignore tax). If oil cost doubles to £2.00, they will charge £2.60, their profit is now £0.60 double but for the same activitiy. The tax element and the rake of the shop who sells remains stable (i make an assumption for the shops rake).
Stevie28 is offline  
(Post Link) post #15 of 34 Old 04-05-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Stevie28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 578
Re: Dont buy BP fuel email

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friggertool View Post
Near where I live BP charge 3p more than the Shell station up the road. Near where i work BP charge the same as Morrisons over the road. Shell up the road from Morrisons charge 1p more. Just my 2p worth.
Save your 2p worth then you can go to BP near where u live ?
Stevie28 is offline  
Status: Winning small victories
AO Platinum Member
 
73GTVJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 24,500
Re: Dont buy BP fuel email

What a waste of time. Again.

BP are no worse than anyone else and your argument against the oil companies is as ill-informed as a Sun headline. i.e a bit of fact and a lot of assumption.



Right lads. I've got an idea to save our country and protect the environment. Let's all go down to the beach and insist the tide doesn't come in today. We can stop the coastline being eroded if we do. Send an email to all your mates.
73GTVJim is offline  
Status: -
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 87
Re: Dont buy BP fuel email

My two cents worth-
1c- if you don't buy petrol today, you will buy it tomorrow. If you really want to make a difference, send an email telling people not to USE THEIR CAR FOR A DAY.

2c- BP have the best track record on climate change among all the oil companies. They have seen oil shortages coming a long time ago and invested heavily in renewables like solar.
If you want to boycott an oil company I would boycott Shell. The blatant human rights abuses in Nigeria are a disgrace.

Anyway thats it.
auswagon is offline  
(Post Link) post #18 of 34 Old 04-05-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Stevie28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 578
Re: Dont buy BP fuel email

[QUOTE=73GTVJim;1755439]What a waste of time. Again.

BP are no worse than anyone else and your argument against the oil companies is as ill-informed as a Sun headline. i.e a bit of fact and a lot of assumption.


Dont talk out yer backside, you must be informed then to judge i am ill informed...?
Stevie28 is offline  
Nev
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Dont buy BP fuel email

So what is it about BP as opposed to Shell,
Exxon, Elf/Fina or any of the others?


Or is this just a chain email started by
someone with an axe to grind ?


 
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Friggertool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: East Spiral Arm of Galaxy
Posts: 3,402

Member car:

Brera 3.2

Re: Dont buy BP fuel email

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie28 View Post
Save your 2p worth then you can go to BP near where u live ?
But that would cost me 1p
Friggertool is offline  
(Post Link) post #21 of 34 Old 05-05-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Stevie28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 578
Re: Dont buy BP fuel email

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
So what is it about BP as opposed to Shell,
Exxon, Elf/Fina or any of the others?


Or is this just a chain email started by
someone with an axe to grind ?


It was you can not stop to use fuel, but you could easily pick on one hapless provider to send a message to all. It was nothing personal to BP, in fact it would be wise to do it to the biggest player that isnt a British company!

Anyway as ever im sure the wild scheme will come to nothing, i dont use BP anyway for purely consumer reasons i.e. they are the most expensive around here, Shell is by far the cheapest near to me.
Stevie28 is offline  
Status: Resting from alfa
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: North Yorkshire
Posts: 3,508

Member car:

GIULIETTA 2.0

Re: Dont buy BP fuel email

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam O'Keefe View Post
Haha this is completely ridiculous. The problem isn't with BP or any other supplier of fuel, they charge around 38p per litre of fuel, the garage takes around 4p forcourt charges and guess who takes the other 60/70ish pence?... Correct tax.

If we only had to pay what BP or anyone else want for petrol then i wouldn't mind one bit. The tax rate on fuel is ridiculous but its never going to drop unless people stop buying fuel full stop, which will never happen. The government win all ways, people need fuel so its always being bought and they reap a massive tax off it, and if people stopped buying fuel they'de be glad of the drop in emissions (Even though we all know car emissions do jack to the environment in the long term) and keep the tax there anyway.

Maybe your office email/letter/whatever should be suggesting ways to seige the government rather than a feeble attempt at boycotting fuel stations, to which nobody responds.
Do you not think BP might take THEIR problem to the government ?

Until you come up with a way to affect the government directly (yes many millions gave the pillocks a clear messsage last Thurs) then I can't see a lot wrong with this proposal.
mikeyw is offline  
Status: Resting from alfa
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: North Yorkshire
Posts: 3,508

Member car:

GIULIETTA 2.0

Re: Dont buy BP fuel email

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim View Post
What a waste of time. Again.

BP are no worse than anyone else and your argument against the oil companies is as ill-informed as a Sun headline. i.e a bit of fact and a lot of assumption.



Right lads. I've got an idea to save our country and protect the environment. Let's all go down to the beach and insist the tide doesn't come in today. We can stop the coastline being eroded if we do. Send an email to all your mates.
Yeah let's just sit back, do nothing and wait till it's £5 a litre.

You don't get it do you - nobody is saying BP are worse, the idea is using them as a 'vehicle' for protest giving the government a big headache.

Just as well our grandfathers weren't so defeatist else we'd all be called Hans or Fritz and running around in leather shorts and driving horrible dull German cars (well we can't have everything I suppose)
mikeyw is offline  
(Post Link) post #24 of 34 Old 05-05-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Stevie28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 578
Re: Dont buy BP fuel email

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyw View Post

Just as well our grandfathers weren't so defeatist else we'd all be called Hans or Fritz and running around in leather shorts and driving horrible dull German cars (well we can't have everything I suppose)
Well said.... My late grandfather was a Jap prisoner of war, thats why i shouldnt buy a toyota (but i did once, sorry granddad )

However we are running around in Italian cars, who where hitlers allies??
Stevie28 is offline  
Status: Winning small victories
AO Platinum Member
 
73GTVJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 24,500
Re: Dont buy BP fuel email

[QUOTE=Stevie28;1755990]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim View Post

Dont talk out yer backside, you must be informed then to judge i am ill informed...?
Well, actually, I am probably a bit more than your good self by virtue of it being part of my job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyw View Post
You don't get it do you - nobody is saying BP are worse, the idea is using them as a 'vehicle' for protest giving the government a big headache.

Just as well our grandfathers weren't so defeatist else we'd all be called Hans or Fritz and running around in leather shorts a

P-L-E-A-S-E!

I get it. It's as big a wasted effort, in the wrong direction, as it has been the last dozen or more times it has been attempted. If you are going to protest against the Gov't taxation on oil, then do so but come up with something useful not a recycled old email.

And spare me both the insults and the little Englander "fight-them-on-the-beaches" nonsense.

You probably subscribe to the George W school of negotiation. "They have oil and want too much for it. We want oil and don't want tp pay for it. Let's invade!"


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie28 View Post
Well said.... My late grandfather was a Jap prisoner of war, thats why i shouldnt buy a toyota
A shame about your grandad but it has nothing to do with the argument and demonstrates the same lack of focus as your proposed action.


Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Jan 2019 New Giulia Veloce Misano Blue
2008-15 New 159Ti experience: overwhelmingly positive. Reliable and fun over nearly 100k.
2015-18 147 1.6TS runaround
6/9/12 - 15 New Mito 135MA Distinctive - 100% reliable 37k
73GTVJim is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
buy , email , fuel

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome