ALFISTI Tyre of Choice - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

Kalel

Well Happy ALFISTI Tyre of Choice

G'day Guys.

My apologies if this has been discussed before (couldn't seem to find it on the forum) but what is the Alfisti "Tyre of Choice" for our glorious rides?

Seen all the marketing hype from tyre websites but want to get the "good oil" from the men and women who actually drive the marque.

Was looking for some good tyre places in Sydney as well though I know most of the guys and gals here are from elsewhere.

I was looking at the following:

Performance:
Cost:
Tyre Life:
Value for Money:

I have a 156 JTS with 16 inch "Continental Sport Contact 2" on 3 of the 4 tyres.

Any ideas and where to get them changed?

Cheers all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

GTV 3.0 "Gina"

Re: ALFISTI Tyre of Choice

Hi Mate

I can't comment on where to buy as Im in the `UK', but the following may help.

My lad has got my 156 2.5 V6 now - I owned it for 3 years and stuck with Pirelli P7's. Ive a penchant for Pirelli as I do like to drive the cars I own but you pay the price because they really dont last that long.

In the last year I switched to Goodyear NCTs because in the UK they were a really good price. The NCTs seemed to grip as well as the P7s but we got an extra couple of k in mileage out of them so much better value. Weve just put these on again.

Incidentally, I have a GTV 3.0. It had 16 inch Pirelli P6000s on when I bought it - gripped well but I thought a wheel bearing had gone because of the moaning. This got worse until coincidentally, I put a set of 17 inch GTA wheels on the car with brand new Zero Neros. Low and behold, the moaning has gone.

So, all I can say is dont buy P6000s, consider Goodyear NCTs, dont buy Pirelli P anything else unless you are happy to trade low lifespan for loads of grip and it goes without saying, dont put budget tyres on an Alfa.

Happy hunting.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

I wouldn't buy P6000s - worst tyre I ever had. Shockingly poor grip in the wet.

I like the Dunlop SP Sports on the front of my V6, however I don't think they're any better than the cheaper Kuhmo Ecsta KU31's I have just bought. I've never had a problem with Kuhmo, good wear rate, not too expensive, and grippy enough in the wet or dry. You can get better tyres but you'll have to pay a lot for them.

Fitted some Pzero Rosso's a few weeks ago, fell a lot better than the pervious Yoko's

Try Falken's.......... always here good comments about them
AO Member

County: Warwickshire

kalel Your weather is alot different so my comments may not be of value ... but for me .. on my QV.230bhp?... P6000 nah!..Avon zz3....not bad...Goodyear F1 .. good but soft dont last ... the best tyre I`ve put all rouund on 164 are VREDESTEIN ULTRC W rated...but on a 156 .... could be ?????
AO Silver Member

i have dunlop sp sports on my 166, i wasnt keen on them to begin with, very noisey. they appear to have settled in well, and are much quieter, or maybe i have adjusted to them, grip and handling is good and they are great in the wet.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Goodyear F1's the only way to fly.

I have Dunlop Sport Maxx 205/45 and 215/45 on mine. Surprisingly good tires at a good price. But I would want to try Pirelli P zero nero. Anyone has any experience with those?
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire

Member car:

2002 GTV T.Spark

I have P Zero Nero's.Very good wet or dry.Rear's have been on about 18 months and are only about half worn.On my second set of fronts, last ones lasted about 10-11k.Road noise is not too bad, although there on a GTV so any tyre will be a little noisy Overall i will stick with them as on the twisty stuff i am always amazed as to how it never lets go (touching wood)
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Falken FK-452 this way. I found them much better than the Toyo and equal to the Goodyear GSD3 but cheaper to buy.
AO Silver Member

County: Lake District
Garage

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric is supposed to be about the best tyre around at the moment.
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

I'd go with either Toyo Proxes or Goodyear F1s. Toyos get the nod ever so slightly on price. However, if longevity is more important to you than grip, you probably won't want to consider them.
EddieGTA

I have Goodyear F1 GSD3's all round and am very happy with the grip levels, they don't last as well as others though but the fronts have been on a year, done a few laps of the nurburgring and probably about 6000 miles or so, and not worn out yet.

I would avoid P6000's, a lot of money for a not so good tyre IMHO.

jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalel View Post
My apologies if this has been discussed before (couldn't seem to find it on the forum)
you great big fibber, you didnt use the search function at all did you

i use kumho ecsta spt ku31. great tyre for the price, i cant see any benefit in spending more money.
AO Member

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric
Bridgestone RE050A (my current rubber)
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Modus 1.4

Pirelli's Stick like **** to underpants, but are noisy as mentioned above

Goodyear NCT's (On all my previous Vehicles) are good all round tyres.
AO Member

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

I have Pzero Neros which are better than my previous P7000....

..however I've read good things about the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta - plus the tread is designed by Guigiaro so look great!
AO Member

County: Cornwall

I've been looking for a set of vredestein's after hearing nothing but good reviews but i can't seem to find them in a 16in. Anyone know if they make them in this size and if so where i can get some from?
AO Member

I have falken fk 451 all round and they last about a year on the front of my v6 as good as my old toyo proxes but last a lot longer
AO Silver Member

County: Cornwall

I've had a range in the time I've had the GTV - bear in mind it's a heavy front driven coupe with a fair lump of power, so tyre wear and grip are pretty important factors!

I've had cheapies, (GT Champiro, Wanli, Nexen) And they're all crap, Bought the car with them on..

I've had a full set of Toyo T1-R's, recommended to me by the tyre place and believing the hype/marketing information I thought they were ace - then realised the car squirmed on them under braking, they were quick to lose grip, and the fronts only lasted 5k miles.

I binned em as soon as I'd worn them, and seeing Pirellis on the net for not much more (About a tenner more than the Toyos at £98.00 a corner) I took the plunge and ordered a full set of Pirelli P Zero Asimmetrico's (225/45/17).

They're fantastic, still waiting to see how the wear holds up, (although initial impressions are that they're wearing better than the Toyos), very grippy, great in the wet and they've got a sort of old performance look to them, especially the sidewall lettering and chunky tread.

Not to everyones tastes as it's a functional tyre rather than a posing tyre, and they're pretty rumbly (Wheel bearing noise) but for the performance per pound I'd wholeheartedly recommend them.

Not driven on a tyre which communicates exactly what the car's up to so much - The steering's incredibly sharp, and turn in's great fun.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...e/ffa075b4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...e/e3e68e74.jpg

"molto costoso ed emozionante"

If the haynes museum find any nuts attached to a fence, Hammy'd like em back..
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

My tuppance worth... have had most of the brands above but current rubber is the bridgies that boris says.... great tyre for grip but dont last too long but what the heck when youre looking at a ditch coming its no good thinking "I should have bought bridgestones"!
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

None yet

Stuck on a set of Pirelli P7's (215/45/17") after the Pirelli Dragons on mine wore out and they've been great since. The P7's grip well in the dry and wet and are quite soft, but they tend to get noisy (rumbly) as they wear down. Somehow the P7's are a bit of a handful when it comes to aquaplaning on the highways, thanks to our torrential downpours here. I took the car for a hard trackday thrashing and the tires still held up well compared to the previous Dragons, which were totally worn out at 12k miles.

Maybe I'll go for Goodyear GSD3's next. But then an Italian car calls for Italian tires

Last edited by zambugsky; 02-05-08 at 18:29. Reason: more info
AO Member

on a light car(mines a t/s, never tried them with a v6), nexen n3000s are proving to be great for the front of my 155, they are classed as budget too, but they are not far off gsd3s in my eyes, recently drove a 156 GTA on eagle F1 asimetricos, my god it was awesome, if i ever have any spare cash to blow on tyres, that'll be whats going on!!!

Avon zz3s don't work on lighter cars either, they find ditches, but i've heard they are goos on v6s.

P6000s suck greatly, expensive ditchfinding sh1te.
Damien_C

P6k's are crap

Bridegestone RE300 Turanza's on my car Great wear on them done nearl 11k of driving on them and still have loads left in them

But for proper cars RE050A's are the job

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Another vote for Eagle F1s here, loads of grip and absolutely fantastic on my 156

Actually I've not tried any others, but they seem pretty good!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
alfisti , choice , tyre

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page