Hello everyone - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

3Likes
  • 2 Post By MalcQV
  • 1 Post By chrisi7146

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 21-01-18 Thread Starter

County: -
Hello everyone

I have questions about reliability of ***** Romeos. Do they last a long time? Can it easily get 100k miles or more? Does the new turbo Gulia really need premium gas? Will the car be at the mechanic a lot? I am interested in the 2018 Gulia. Not the Quadrifoligo. Thanks everyone for your experience and knowledge. Elliot.

Last edited by flomed; 21-01-18 at 01:13. Reason: ***** word was missing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

I have one with 152,000 miles and another with 209,000.. so they're not bad.

But Alfa's are like a racing car. Even if there's nothing wrong with it, you still need to be doing something to it... It responds best to constant care and attention and are quite sensitive. Some of them can be proper hard-core indestructible .. and others behave like a stroppy diva.

But.. if you're interested in what's happening under the bonnet and you open the lid for a quick check every now and again, even if there's no reason to do it, then you'll be fine. On the other hand, if you think the bonnet release is something that only the mechanic uses... every two years when you think it may possibly be time to have the oil changed, then perhaps a Toyota would be better for you.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Spider

Alfa Giulia.

The Alfa Giulia, I want one, petrol with turbo. Colour : black.
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Landon Tan
Garage
Given the Giulia is about 8 months old or so no one can really answer what your asking.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

The most valuable feedback really would be from Giulietta owners. It's worth going to their technical thread (and of course the Giulia one) and seeing what sort of problems they're reporting. Bear in mind its purpose - anyone with problems will post there. The interesting thing is what they post about.

When it's annoyance with blu-ray or squeaks somewhere or minor electrical issues, you sort of know the engines aren't blowing up.

Generally the feedback strikes me as encouraging.
AO Member

County: Monmouthshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by flomed View Post
I have questions about reliability of ***** Romeos. Do they last a long time? Can it easily get 100k miles or more? Does the new turbo Gulia really need premium gas? Will the car be at the mechanic a lot? I am interested in the 2018 Gulia. Not the Quadrifoligo. Thanks everyone for your experience and knowledge. Elliot.
Hi
I have a Giulia Veloce (280 bhp) and its a wonderful car to drive and look at- Alfa are back where they should be- for me this car is 'spot on'.

But don't just listen to me - read the Giulia thread and all the reviews

Also I have had Alfa's for 18 years and they are no worse than any other car, and like any other car if you abuse them, then you pay the price!

All the best
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

The reputation is a 70's 80's throwback.
They are wonderful cars and I think the newer the more reliable.
In essence they are no different to any other marque. They all have little niggles.

My one complaint over three older Alfas has been suspension wear. It seems excessive but go on another marque forum and you'll find genuine honest folk will tell you of the problems on that marque.

One last thing, be prepared for a bit on envy channelled through comments like "At the garage again?" etc.

I went from a creaking 159 to a Mercedes. The latter is a little older and higher miles but whereas the electric door mirrors were faultless on the 159 (and initially the MB) they don't work any longer (German electricity not working, who'd have thought).
Headlight washers don't work on the MB either and used to, guess what? The 159's were fine.

If you like it do it.
Ralf S. and spitfire like this.

I'm not going anywhere, I'm just going.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Spider

Quote:
Originally Posted by flomed View Post
If you have questions about the reliability of Alfa Romeos then it is probably due to the rust problem that caused Alfasuds to crumble and the reputation of Alfa Romeo in the 1970's became tarnished as a result. Alfa Romeos no longer have a reputation for rust. Do they last a long time? Yes, if you follow the service schedule which applies to most other cars. Can it easily get 100k miles or more? Yes, if you follow the service schedule like most other cars. Will the car be at the mechanic a lot, generally not if you take care of it which applies to most other cars. The Alfas that I have owned have been enjoyable cars to own and drive. I have owned other cars from various other manufacturers which have not been as enjoyable and which have cost me a fortune in mechanics bills from brands like VW , Volvo and Mercedes. Alfa have rediscovered their mojo and the new models from Alfa will appeal to a wider audience and future sales should reflect this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
The reputation is a 70's 80's throwback.
They are wonderful cars and I think the newer the more reliable.
In essence they are no different to any other marque. They all have little niggles.

My one complaint over three older Alfas has been suspension wear. It seems excessive but go on another marque forum and you'll find genuine honest folk will tell you of the problems on that marque.

One last thing, be prepared for a bit on envy channelled through comments like "At the garage again?" etc.

I went from a creaking 159 to a Mercedes. The latter is a little older and higher miles but whereas the electric door mirrors were faultless on the 159 (and initially the MB) they don't work any longer (German electricity not working, who'd have thought).
Headlight washers don't work on the MB either and used to, guess what? The 159's were fine.

If you like it do it.
Not even certain that is true. My MB recently failed it's MOT on feckedd suspension components. I think it's the roads and speed bumps!
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

alfa gt

My neighbour is a BMW fan, he had a 325I which needed constant work on the suspension for mot, it eventually died due to a massive oil leak and burning oil at 140k, our old 147 was retired at 190k purely due to the key being stolen, it was still running really well. I've had two gt's that I've had over 150k with no significant problems, infact the body work is nigh on perfect, where as a Mercedes kompressor slk down the road has horrific rust bubbles on its arches and is 3 years newer than mine! Go figure.
duemila likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page