Alfa love affair - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

3Likes
  • 2 Post By cue2
  • 1 Post By Ber Tony GT

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 30-09-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Renfrewshire
Alfa love affair

Since buying my first Alfa a "Sud" to my last a 2011 Giulietta, with 145, 156, 159 and Gt inbetween the love affair is about to end.

Both the Guilia and Stelvio amazing cars, but too pricey for what they are. The Giulietta getting long in the tooth despite the face lift, the Mito too small for my needs, but entering life support phase.

Maybe one day there will be models priced for the masses and not the few, soon the Giulietta will be traded in and for the first time in 30 years there will be no Alfa in my fleet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Falkirk

Member car:

159SW;20VT Coupe

It doesn't look like that's the Alfa business model now unfortunately. I suspect more niche ie. high priced models. I've got a 159 and can't see me owning another Alfa as a daily after that.
(Post Link) post #3 of 14 Old 30-09-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

The 156, 159 and GT must not forget the Brera, are still gorgeous cars despite the passage of time.

Seeing a 159 approach in the rear view mirror still excites.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
The Giulia and Stelvio are too pricey for what they are? They're priced to relate to their competition, surely; the Stelvio being cheaper than the opposition because the showroom appeal is slightly below them. (You can't see it drives very well.)
chowley and Biscione1750 like this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabies2 View Post
The Giulietta getting long in the tooth despite the face lift...
Out of curiosity, what characterisitics of the Giulietta do you feel mark it as "past it"?
AO Platinum Member

(Post Link) post #7 of 14 Old 30-09-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

I have the 170bhp 2 litre Diesel, it still offers a good drive, not a great drive, when you get into a golf or focus the difference is there to see.

Any manufacturer can only get away with cosmetic tweaks for so long, sure the seat fabric and comfort level has improved with the 2017 Giulietta, but the interior space has not and feels cramped when compared to the competition.

My car fleet currently consists of, Giulietta, Mazda CX5, Mazda RX8, MGTF and a BMW Z4. All very different.
AO Platinum Member

Your 6 year old car is not going to drive like a new example of a competitor or a new Giulietta. Have you driven a recent sport suspension Giulietta on 18" wheels back to back with a Focus or Golf?
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
Plenty of secondhand Alfa's priced for the masses, thats where the value is
Unless of course you have to have a brand new car, why not wait for the Giulia to depreciate some more ?
AO Member

County: Falkirk

Member car:

159SW;20VT Coupe

Given I bought my 159 at 8 years old I'll not hold my breath on the Giulia reaching the 3-5k mark anytime soon. Really looking like a 5 year period once my 159 is needing changed with no obvious Alfa to replace it.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ber Tony GT View Post
Plenty of secondhand Alfa's priced for the masses, thats where the value is
Unless of course you have to have a brand new car, why not wait for the Giulia to depreciate some more ?
Haven't you noticed. The numbers of us buying the new cars to make into secondhand Alfas is not plentiful any more. Mine was one of a couple of hundred or so new Alfas registered in the country in January. The masses are going to be disappointed or so unaware of the marque that I'll lose even more when I come to change and Alfa gives up on the country. It'll be a while, hopefully , before the Giulias that listed at £30K depreciate for the masses. Who knows?
AO Member

Yes i have noticed thank you very much.
As usual you're not afraid to twist others words to suit your own superior views are you ?
I can't even be bothered to explain further, other posters on here seem to understand...
AO Platinum Member

I'm not twisting anybody's words. It just happens over and over again that people love to get " a lot of car for the money" without realising this can't go on for ever.
AO Member

Its Alfa's much reduced product range that is to blame though.
Many people on here are so frustrated that they can't replace like for like when they want a change, where do 166 owners go,159 owners were out in the cold until late last year, what similar car from Alfa can replace my GT ? Same applies to Brera owners
I'm not going to buy a Mito, Giulietta or Giulia just out of loyalty to Alfa, it no longer makes anything close to what i desire, and assuming others feel the same, that is many Alfa drivers jumping ship to another marque.
cue2 likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
affair , alfa , love

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page