Stoneacre Alfa Romeo and Fiat etc Chesterfield - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 31-07-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Stoneacre Alfa Romeo and Fiat etc Chesterfield

Hi guys,

Just a word of warning from this dealership in Chesterfield Derbyshire, please look closely and have your own views.
Doing body work on a car on the forecourt. Rain, dust and overspray... oh lots of filler!!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...176cc5364f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Bunkerton
Pictures don't come out too well - what is that, a Chips Away van or something?

Was it really too much to take it into the workshop?!
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 31-07-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

The picture is not that great anyway but I'm sure people will get the gist of it... terrible workmanship, half the door is covered in filler for goodness sake.

AO Platinum Member

To be fair, this is absolutely normal. They have a dented car so they get a SMART repairer to come and correct it.

That will involve filling the blemish and then smoothing it into the unaffected bodywork. Most of that filler will get sanded away so the level of flier left will be a micro-layer that will be painted over.

The only thing that looks odd to me is that the fella is doing the work outdoors.. although filling and sanding it isn't a job that is going to be affected by a few spots of rain. In fact, most fine sanding is done "wet".

Or they could leave the dent in the door for the next owner to repair. They would take it to a bodyshop who would fill the blemish... and you already read the rest. They might do it indoors but then they are a bodyshop and don't need to worry about ventilation or filler dust etc. where mechanics are working.

I'm not sure what the critics would do differently? Not repair it, ever?

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Platinum Member

Reminds me of the time I was in a dealership and the Saturday lad was washing the cars on display. I'd just come from work so I was all professional looking.. and I cheekily told him, "Can you do that silver one afterwards"? Came out to a nice washed car.

I dunno if the SMART man would fall for it. I have *dents*...

Ralf S.
AO Member

I have bought a number of cars in the past from this dealership when it was Autoworld and very much doubt that this would have gone on in those days. Their bodyshop is about 600 metres up the road from the location shown.
I cringed when I heard that Stonegate had bought the business as they don't seem to have a particularly good reputation in the area in spite of being the main FIAT/Alfa Romeo dealer in the area. The picture certainly doesn't show anything that would make you change your mind about their reputation!
There was briefly a nearby Alfa dealer in Sheffield - Lookers, but since the site was taken over by the Pentagon Group they seem to have replaced Italian brands with Vauxhall at this location.
Can't help wondering what damage was on the car to require rubbing down and filling? There is at least one PDR man in the area who can perform magic on minor dents and can make door dings disappear completely in about 10 or 15 minutes work, including drinking his cup of tea!
(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 06-08-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

I'm from Sheffield so know exactly where you mean.

AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Go to any Available Car supermarket and you'll see this going on all the time, its done quite openly and they are happy for you to watch. Just seems like how its done these days for certain repairs.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
alfa , chesterfield , fiat , romeo , stoneacre

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page