147 or Bravo - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 21-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Leicestershire
147 or Bravo

Hi all,

Need some advice please. My father is in the market for a new car (He just hasn't got on with his existing new shape Honda Civic and regrets choosing it over a 147!) and has asked for my opinion. He is keen on a new 147 but is also impressed by the new Fiat Bravo, especially the 1.4tjet in black with 18inc. alloys etc. I'm not sure about this one. Whilst I like the 147, especially the special editions, I do think its a little dated now. I think the fiat will be the better choice because its a newer model, looks good and the interior looks fantastic, but fiats of this size tend to depreciate fast!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: -
Re: 147 or Bravo

And it's a FIAT

Hopefully the Bravo is built better then the 'World leading' GPuntos..............
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

The Alfa looks a lot better.

I do like Fiats , but they seem to have lost their way a bit in the last few years. I think the Grand Punto Abarth 180 will be a good car though. What they really need though is successor to the Coupe and Barchetta.
jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stori View Post
And it's a FIAT
dont be silly, they're both fiats.

in my mind the bravo vs 147 debate comes down to what you want. if you want a practicle A2B family car then the bravo is a better choice, but if you want to enjoy driving then the 147 is best. dont forget the 147 is built on a tipo platform, the bravo is built on a stilo platform, that alone is a good enough reason to run away from the bravo. fiat should be punished for even considering the use of the stilo platform for anything other than a wheely bin.

my main concern with the bravo is that the design, engineering and testing was done by computer using virtual cars and components. considering the failures of the stilo were so numerous and serious, you'd expect them to make sure they got the bravo right first time, yet prototypes weren't even built until all the decisions had been made and the factory tooling was complete and ready for production. fiat are proud of this fact, i'm shocked and worried.

also consider the stilo's main weakness , its rear suspension, well the bravo has torsion beam rear suspension so dont expect things to have changed. note that when alfa turn the bravo into the 149 it will have full multilink rear suspension. why hasnt the bravo got proper rear suspension? because it isnt designed to be a good driver's car, its a shopping car.

i use fiatforum more than alfaowner, and to be honest so far the bravo hasnt suffered as many teething troubles as the grande punto did, but its still early days and there are far fewer bravo owners on the forum compared to GP owners so there is less info available.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

I think the new Bravo looks great.

Mind you, the new limited edition 147 in white with a black roof looks very cool too.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

What RA says above.

The Bravo is the newer car, looks & goes great, comes with a 5 year warranty and Fiat dealers seem to have cracked the service issue (although I always used to use Grays of Warwick who were excellent).

Tough call My money would go on the Alfa though
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Heart says Alfa, head says Fiat
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jug View Post
dont be silly, they're both fiats.
Yes .........but Alfa Romeo makes better FIATs
AO Silver Member

County: Antrim

fiat is a nice looking motor, and multi jet is a good engine.

147 is not my thing really .

how about a 156
AO Gold Member

Even the Grande Punto looks quite good on the outside but inside the car looks cheap and nasty,with poorr fit and finish, and the driving experience is very ordinary with rubbery steering and over servoed brakes. Even my 17 year old daughter and her friend thought the interior looked cheap and nasty....
I will not get at look at a Bravo(Ritmo in Australia) in the flesh until later this month when it is going to be probably at the Melbourne Motorshow along with the 500 ? The 147 is definitely aging and the interior of the latest versions do not look as good as the pre facelift versions. Personally if the 149 was going to be released I would say go for the Alfa Romeo.....however as the car is a FIAT and FIAT is synonymous with econoboxes..........so I would say go with the Focus as it will be the better drive

AO Silver Member

County: Clackmannanshire

Member car:

Giulietta QV

Bravo is very nice and now comes with a 5 year warranty - Only model Fiat is offering this on though!

I looked at a Bravo 1.4Tjet 150 Sport with 17s on it at the weekend - Very impressed, big comfy and well specced. List price was around £15500 (Metallic paint) but pre-reg 57 with delivery miles for £10888. Superb buy as a good chunk of depreciation already sorted! - My wife went for the Grande Punto though
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4JTDm

I would go with the Bravo but bear in mind that I've never really liked the 147 that much, I had a look at a new Bravo last week (wife was also looking for a new car) and it is a very nice car indeed.
(Post Link) post #13 of 15 Old 22-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Leicestershire

Thanks for all your advice guys. Been trawling the classifieds and seen some good offers on the Fiat. Seen some good prices on low mileage 159's too which complicates things further - although my dad thinks this car is too big. In terms of requirements 5 doors is a must as is adequate rear seating for the grandaughter. Tough decision!!
PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 51

Went through the same dilemma with the GF, and plumped for the Bravo. I like the 147 but in our case the Bravo was the better bet. So far done 8k in 4 months. All ok excpet needs a window seal replacing due to excessive wind noise. The kit is the Bravo is far better, with voice recog blue and me being a very good system. Looks the part aswell, its in Maranello red with graphite alloys and subtle bodykit with lowered suspension (all std on the Sport).
AO Silver Member

County: Antrim

I have driven the new Bravo 1.4 Tjet and I would choose it over the 147 if I was buying now. However if I was thinking of changing, and if possible, I would wait until the 149 came out.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
147 , bravo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page