Are Alfas an object of desire or the subject of mirth - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 30 Old 20-02-08 Thread Starter
Muz
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Are Alfas an object of desire or the subject of mirth

to your friends and family?

I have loved all my Alfas even though some have been a right pain. When they are running right they have all been an absolute joy ( well maybe not the 1.8 Alfa 75 I had which I really didn't like!)

However, virtually everyone I know thinks I'm a bit weird, masochistic or eccentric to keep buying what they see as an unreliable rust prone moneypit. Try as I might they can't be prised away from their "safe" BMW's, Audis, vauxhalls or whatever. Far from being an object of desire the unconverted seem to view Alfas as something they wouldn't touch with a barge pole, even if they quite like the car they wouldn't want to own one.

Am I just a ****e salesperson or do you have the same problem??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Re: Are Alfas an object of desire or the subject of mirth

I'm about half and half - a lot of my friends absolutely love my 156, but a lot of my (engineering) friends just ask if it's broken down yet. Amusingly one the worst offenders has a Rover 200 which has just blown its head gasket

Poetic justice.
AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

I got ribbed quite a bit when I bought the car - usual crap it will only break down etc etc.

Whe a few of my mates saw it and then drove, how quickly attitudes change - one is getting a 159Ti and the other a Brera.

Often people envy you for your Alfa, but stop short of taking 'the risk' of buying one. I can understand, as Alfas history of teetering on bankruptcy, some chaotic design periods, occasional appalling back-up and the cheap russian steel rust fiasco have all left their legacy.

Put that next to VW whose worst sin is the boredom of some of their product over the last 50 years, and you begin to understand why Alfa, and Italian cars in general are seen as pretty, capricious, expensive and unreliable...cars to admire, but to let other people spend/waste their money on.

If Alfa can get back to building burstproof engines (as they used to), in good looking shells that don't rust, that handle reasonably and have good backup..then they stand a chance. Otherwise they will be history as the marque can only have so many chances.

AlfaLincs

AO Member

County: Essex

Everyone loves 'em, not enough buy 'em. But hey, if everyone had one they'd be like BM 3 series, wouldn't they.
Matt.
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Crazed Re: Are Alfas an object of desire or the subject of mirth

One man`s meat and all that. They are definately objects of desire. To fully appreciate an Alfa is to know the essence of living. The sound, the sight and the 'rightness' of that fabulous twin cam four is proof of that. An Alfa is for a enthusiast, a BMW is for a poseur!
AO Member

Member car:

alfa 147

ANYONE who says they would never get one, has either never been in one, or had the ultimate pleasure of driving one!!
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Apart from the odd joke no-one winds me up seriously. Mainly because my 145, 156 and, now, 159 have been faultless.
AO Member

County: Kent

Hmm some and some for. At work the guys love them, as we have at least two on the fleet (one of which is now mine). Some of my mates out of work were impressee, but my family remained sceptical until they saw my 159, and I think they may well be junking the Fords son!
AlfaLincs

Oh no!! Alfas being bought by the folk from the Medway towns..whatever next (I thought you all lived in upturned old boats on the estuary)

AlfaLincs

Darren156

Some people are too scared I think, that's what it boils down to. They are scared that it won't start, that it will rust away, that the electrics will cease to work etc etc...

It's a good thing, because second hand prices are amazing!

AO Member

Member car:

159 2.0JTDm TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaLincs View Post
Often people envy you for your Alfa, but stop short of taking 'the risk' of buying one.

AlfaLincs
Yep, reputation is a terrible thing.

My friends and family, even those who don't give a stuff about cars, invariably made a point of saying how great they thought the 159 was the first time they saw it or went in it, but I know that few if any would 'dare' to buy an Alfa. And plenty ask if it has been reliable, when I know they wouldn't about another car.

Still, overall the answer to your question must be 'desire'. Just in the last few days I had a couple of new tyres put on and three mechanics took time out from their duties to admire the car and discuss what they liked about it (the grille and headlamps were the main attraction ). Same happened when I took it in for tyres at another place last year; and then there are the stares it gets in traffic jams etc on a regular basis...not that I'm vain of course but very few cars in the price bracket can achieve this reaction
cul

Seriously though. Alfa needs to sell a lot more cars and keep customers.otherwise the only Alfa's we will be owning will be outdated runarounds or classics.

Sorry to be so heavy this time of night but sadly true...

On the plus side UK registrations are on the up again lets hope it continues.
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

I can safely state that all my friends appreciate Alfas.
GTS
AO Member

Member car:

GT JTS SELESPEED

Well, put it this way,I was filling up with Petrol at the weekend and a guy walked past the car at the garage and just said "Beautiful car mate !". It's not the first time that has happened by any means, I somehow doubt anybody driving an Audi/Porsche/BMW would ever hear that.

Last edited by GTS; 21-02-08 at 15:28.
AO Platinum Member

The Younger Mrs S. likes it that I have to constantly fiddle with the beast to keep it running. It's "like a racing car" or "a fighter plane" she says. Good enough for me..

Ralf S.
Regional Representative
For South Africa - AO-SA

County: Gauteng

My dad used to drive Alfas , so from him I get no flack... he proudly boasts to his friends that I have a couple of them. My Father-in-law, on the other hand , only drives BMWs, and he constantly asks why I do not sell "these old things" and get a proper car.
I drive their 3 series quite often, and honestly, without being biased, the 156 is sooooo much better.... even my mother-in-law admitted to it once.

I get a lot of cheeky comments at work, but all in jest, I think secretly its just envy, the majority of my co-workers drive A4, 3 series or Pug 407's (the choices we have for company cars)....
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Alfas just have that certain something that brings a smile to your face everytime you get in or out of it.

I love driving, always have, and there are very few cars that give you that driving pleasure. I've never been one to follow the crowd and I guess thats partly why Alfa appeals too and when I look at the majority of cars on the road they just appear dull and boring.

I often get comments from BMW owners that Alfas look and sound great but why dont I get a BMW - I think they are just jealous that I have so much fun and can drive about like a loon without being hated by every other road user.

156 2.5 V6 24v, Cosmos Blue Metallic, Tan Leather, 17 GTA's, 225/45 Michelin PS2's, Full Zender body kit, GTA Headlights, Eibach springs, Koni FSD's, Eibach Anti-roll bars, Ferrari 360 Brembo calipers, DS2500 pads, Squadra ECU, 45mm Intake Runners, Carbon Intake, Dan & Wizard exhaust

156 2.5 V6 Qsystem, Red + Red Leather, Bilstein dampers, DS2500 pads...soon Brembo calipers, 17" GTV Teles
jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

friends love the alfa, but they admit they would be afraid to own one.

best bit is when a passenger gets in for the first time. usual response is "wow its posh in here".

I never get any flak, in fact most folk round here think Alfas are exclusive and exotic. They're right on both counts as far as I'm concerned.

With three in the drive my neighbours can't help notice them and one became so smitten by the GT that he's gone and bought one as a week-end special - his usual daily wheels is a big black M -Class Merc.
alfafamily

Alfas are one of the few everyday modern cars that people turn and look at as you pass, anyone with a Brera,GT,159,147 or GTV must have noticed people looking. We've also had comments in car parks such as "nice car mate". As far as looks go I think Alfas are the best on the road so I'm saying yes ...Object of desire.

HSTDriver

A nicely looked after Alfa, in the right spec, can be an object of desire.

A low specced, ragged to beggery and unloved Alfa is definately not

AO Member

Surely the right spec is the badge on the front. Although I don`t use my Alfa for everyday transport (four kids =not enough seats), I spent from the age of 17 to 26 having great times in ragged to buggery Alfas! Todays motorists seem to me to be more image conscious than years gone. By this I mean the spec of the car counts for more than engineering fundamentals.The transaxle Alfas, and the sud, to a lesser degree had advanced engineering for what was basically a family car. They were different to all other cars on the road.Todays cars all share the same basic engineering,ie, front drive, independant rear suspension etc and I believe this makes spec an important issue for car buyers. Don`t forget it is said that Henry Ford tipped his hat every time he saw an Alfa. Objects of desire.But being an Alfa enthusiast for 32 years and Alfa driver for 25 years I think there`s a possibility I may be biased.
AO Member

Thumbs Up Re: Are Alfas an object of desire or the subject of mirth

But I have to admit. They can be unreliable,usually nothing major, just silly little things. And my experience is that they rust,boy do they rust.Objects of desire.
AO Member

County: Edinburgh

Most of my friends who are the slightest bit interested in cars think they are an object of desire (some have even owned one).

Those who aren't seem to like my car after they see it and have been for a run in it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
alfas , desire , mirth , object , subject

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page