Anyone here fitted bigger alloys?? need help!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 18-02-08 Thread Starter

Anyone here fitted bigger alloys?? need help!!

Ok i got my wheels, went to tyre place and he puts them on and we turn front wheels to full lock...and fronts slighty touch inner plastic wheel arches, not body work just black plastic inner lining. So my question now is, is this a big deal on full lock (rarely on full lock at speed) of shouls i get spacers? anyone whose fiited bigger wheels can help i'll be chuffed. my alloys are 225/40/18. Any one done this size?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Antrim
Re: Anyone here fitted bigger alloys?? need help!!

on a 156 a little rubbing on lock is expected with 18's. (its only a cover your rubbing into remember.)

i wouldnt worry personally , but you should maybe check with spider owner that the size is suitable for your model.
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 18-02-08 Thread Starter

Cheers dude, thats responce i needed, it is rare to be full lock at speed, and also its only heavy duty plastic its slighty rubbing, just needed mind put at rest....
AO Platinum Member

You can heat up the plastic shield a bit with a blow lamp and "mould" it away a few mm's to give you clearance. Don't set fire to it, or melt it.. just heat it enough so it goes a bit softer.. bend it a bit then let it cool down.

Ralf S.
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09

County: Victoria

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

it's an alfa enthusiast forum - why would anyone dream of fitting bigger alloys?!

you sure spacers would work? this might make rub even worse. you don't explain if it's the inner or outer edge of the tyre, and whether it's the wheel on the inside arc or outside arc when on full lock (ie: full lock to the R, is it the L or R wheel?).

perhaps the offset is incorrect? what is the offset, and how wide are the wheels? these are all important considerations. and therefore impossible to advise without knowing.

i ran 18s on 18x7.5" wheels with +38mm offset; car was a 2L TS 156, lowered on Eibach springs. normally, no rub at all. and only minor rub on full lock by the inner edge of the inside wheel when driving up something like a driveway (ie: suspension partly compressed). no issues for normal daily driving though.

GT . 3.2 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red . Eibach . KONI . ASSO . ATP 19" . TAROX . FERODO . Mille Miglia exhaust
155 . 2.0 8V TS . Grigio Grey - Grey . H&R coilover . Enkei 17" . TAROX . GOODRIDGE . REMUS
75 . 3.0 . Alfa Red - Grey

Last edited by shiny_car; 18-02-08 at 12:05.
(Post Link) post #6 of 7 Old 18-02-08 Thread Starter

Viable questions. The first one, i've umb'd and r'd about bigger wheels and saw some 18's on ebay and couldn't resist, i'm in noway a chav, so far from it in fact, i love my alfa and its italian design and i found wheels to IMO improve look (well once i get 'em on).

regards other question.

in a nut shell front wheels on full lock both ways, inside of wheel touches inner plastic mud shield. Platic seems to have bit of budge in it anyway so shouldn't damage my tyre on full lock occasionally.
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09

County: Victoria

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

ok. spacers may help, as the current offset may be inadequate (eg: +30mm instead of +35mm).

however, you will need to check with your insurance company that spacers are acceptable. at least, in australia, most do not accept them.

if using spacer, ensure they are suitably good quality. alfa wheels - like most cars - rely on the 'centre hole' (as implied, the big hole in the middle of the wheel, which happens to be 58.1mm on a spider/gtv/147/156/gt) to bear the weight of the car through the wheel, and NOT primarily through the wheel bolts. this means the spacer needs to retain the 'lip' to fit into the centre hole, to support the wheel.

have a look at these Novitec ones, where you can see the protruding lip. the spacer also needs to have a matching 58.1mm centre hole to fit over the alfa hub.

Alfa Romeo Spurverbreiterung 2x 10 mm - Distanzscheiben Spurverbreiterung 2x 10 mm inkl. Radschrauben

personally, if the rubbing is negligble, i'd just leave it. or discuss with the wheel retailer about changing the wheels to a more suitable offset (if they provided the wrong wheel spec, perhaps they are obliged to correct the problem).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
alloys , bigger , fitted

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page