would you leave details if you accidently dinged another car? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 32 Old 15-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 2.0 TS

would you leave details if you accidently dinged another car?

Ok - let me be clear - this hasn't happened to me I was just pondering what would happen if I did actually accidently knock another car. Obviously if I knew the person & trusted them not to take the pi** I'd leave details.The thing that would put me off is knowing that whilst I may have caused a £60 Dent Devils type ding, some chancer may try to clobber me for a few hundred quid. With a £400 excess on my insurance policy I'd want to avoid involving them.
I've had my previous 156 damaged twice, once requiring a bodyshop repair & once the attention of Dent Devils. I've recently had my GTV dinged as well. Needless to say no one left details.
So to answer my own question I can't honestly say I would leave my details as my fear would be someone seeing it as an opportunity to make a few quid, rather than just putting right what I'd done. Can any one honestly say they would always leave details??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

MPH
AO Silver Member

County: Nukunonu
Re: would you leave details if you accidently dinged another car?

If no damage done I would drive away.

Any damage I would leave details as I am a big scaredy cat!
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

I would, if there was damage

Edit. I'd take some decent photos too. My 5mp SE K850i is just the job

Yes i have done that before, i clipped an old cortina and popped his indicator lens out so left him my details on his windscreen , but never heard from him, however my good lady had an immaculate three year old black toyota celica parked in morrisons and someone sideswiped her car ( i presume whilst reversing out of a parking space) and pushed the bodywork in behind the door...and thats a big panel ! just under a grand to put right ...i was not a happy bunny !

I have left details....the chap was amazed that I did....I arranged to go round his house...but when I got there he would not accept me paying for the damage....said it was an old banger and he was getting rid anyway....felt so guilty - nipped to the shop and got a bottle of brandy and had to force him to take it....

That has been the only time.....

Chris
mudhut

Yes, would leave details but as SR says, a camera would come in very handy here.

AO Member

you could keep a pay as you squark chav sim card and leave that number, then if they try to have man love with you, you lose the sim! genius i know.
AO Member

County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

Abarth 500

I would if there was visible damage, although would be more annoyed at myself for damaging my car. My G600 5MP camera phone would help settle any disputes (as we're being geeky)
AO Member

County: Berkshire

I'd get stuck deciding whether to use my blackberry or my razr2 , then just give the details in person when they find me trying to make my mind up.

I treat ppl how I would like to be treated myself, yes of course I would leave my details

Mickey Mouse,
The Hole
Someones House,
Mousville.
IAM GR8.
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

I would like to think that I would.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Silver GT 3.2 V6

I wish the git who has dented the rear door on my 156 had left his details. I've had a quote of £490 for the repair, so it looks like I will have to go down the insurance route (£200 excess). Makes me mad...........
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
I would, if there was damage

Edit. I'd take some decent photos too. My 5mp SE K850i is just the job
I'd do the same. OA
AO Platinum Member

County: Limburg

I dinged another car once - left details - the man was sooo grateful...
The girls got their car dented a couple of weeks ago in Amsterdam and the chap left his details. and everything amicably settled.

That's how it should be...
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk

TBH - if it was a light ding in a door - no.
Nobody who has lt a slight mark on my door has left a note - nor would I expect them to in reality.

A dent - yes, of course I would do - but I would not expect reciprocation - people just don't these days.

God - I sound so OLD ('cos I am).

Paul.
Global Mod Team

County: British Columbia
Garage

I would leave my phone number, but I always carry a camera so would take pictures just in case.
AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

I clipped a parked a few years ago on my way to work at 5.30, no-one was about so I left a note.

The guy was great - he got his mate to do the job for £120, which was not bad as he had a 2nd quote for £250+VAT.

I would want someone to leave a note if they clipped my car, however I think the majority of people would drive away.

A couple of things to ponder:

If you hit a car and leave without leaving details or reporting it you are committing an offence.

You may have been spotted by a witness or CCTV.

It could one day happen to you and your bella.....

Reason I know this is Sue's 147 suffered a skelp in a car park at Christmas. The culprit (woman in Mercedes apparently) got out out looked at damage , had a quick look round then got back in her car and left. Unlucky for her she was spotted by a witness who took down reg. details and went into the shop to report the incident. As it happens the shop asst. knew the car was Sue's and went to inform her. Police were called and they immediately identified the car and owner (local land owner's wife - toff type) and approached her to give her the oppurtunity to come clean make good the damage. She point blank refused to admit she was even there. The police then gave her time to re-consider, warning her there was an independent witness - she still refused to admit.

Upshot is she has been charged, her insurance company has admitted liability and what should have been an easily resolved incident has caused her severe embarrassment (It will make the local papers) and no doubt increases in her premiums.

Moral being.....By all means be a ba*tard, but be prepared for the consequences it isn't always just financial.......
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

For me it depends. If I had banged an old car that already had lots of dents and scrapes I probably wouldn't leave details.
If it was a better car I would leave details. Unless the car was a BMW or 4x4 of course...
AO Platinum Member

I'd leave details. If someone left their car unattended and it thumped mineas I was driving past, I'd be rather annoyed about it!

Ralf S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
A couple of things to ponder:

If you hit a car and leave without leaving details or reporting it you are committing an offence.

You may have been spotted by a witness or CCTV.

It could one day happen to you and your bella.....

Reason I know this is Sue's 147 suffered a skelp in a car park at Christmas. The culprit (woman in Mercedes apparently) got out out looked at damage , had a quick look round then got back in her car and left. Unlucky for her she was spotted by a witness who took down reg. details and went into the shop to report the incident. As it happens the shop asst. knew the car was Sue's and went to inform her. Police were called and they immediately identified the car and owner (local land owner's wife - toff type) and approached her to give her the oppurtunity to come clean make good the damage. She point blank refused to admit she was even there. The police then gave her time to re-consider, warning her there was an independent witness - she still refused to admit.

Upshot is she has been charged, her insurance company has admitted liability and what should have been an easily resolved incident has caused her severe embarrassment (It will make the local papers) and no doubt increases in her premiums.

Moral being.....By all means be a ba*tard, but be prepared for the consequences it isn't always just financial.......
Exactly - good post

Chris
AO Member

YES, ABSOLUTELY.
Primarily because I would hope for the same treatment given a reverse scenario, but also because I don't want to contribute to the I-might-get-screwed-over-so-best-just-f***-off mentality, causing the cycle to continue.....

Only recently a neighbour had their few months old merc dinged by an old muppet who took ages to get out of his car (if you can't even get out of the car properly - should you really be driving?!!). She was apparently waiting in the car at the time, and when she questioned him about the damage he plain out denied it!! She got his plate, but he refused to give his license number, so the police were sought on the matter...

Makes you wonder about some people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd_b View Post
Exactly - good post

Chris
Ta.

This whole incident caused no end of anger. The police gave her the opportunity to telephone us, she got her marbled mouthed husband to ring and all he said was that he acknowledged his wife had been spoken to about an "aleged incident" and that we would be hearing from their insurance company. Well bully for him, if they weren't going to come to an agreement why bother phoning!! I warned him that if they insisted upon that path and they won I would pursue him through the small claims court. Arrogant sod put the phone down. I rang the Police back and insisted the woman be charged - they were happy to comply.

OOOOOOOOOh it makes me MAD!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian View Post
Ok - let me be clear - this hasn't happened to me I was just pondering what would happen if I did actually accidently knock another car. Obviously if I knew the person & trusted them not to take the pi** I'd leave details.The thing that would put me off is knowing that whilst I may have caused a £60 Dent Devils type ding, some chancer may try to clobber me for a few hundred quid. With a £400 excess on my insurance policy I'd want to avoid involving them.
I've had my previous 156 damaged twice, once requiring a bodyshop repair & once the attention of Dent Devils. I've recently had my GTV dinged as well. Needless to say no one left details.
So to answer my own question I can't honestly say I would leave my details as my fear would be someone seeing it as an opportunity to make a few quid, rather than just putting right what I'd done. Can any one honestly say they would always leave details??
Your car sounds like a magnet for terrible drivers lol.

I was driving a company car. Citreon C5 estate. I was parked in a shopping centre when a really old man crashed into the side attempting to park. I saw he was old so kept my cool. Asked him for insurence details and he tried handing me the Owners manual. I said thats not insurence but wouldnt be a bad idea to read it. Luckily he did have insurence. I now feel really bad for him because he paid 300.00 out if his own pocket to my company. 6 months later the damage hasnt been repaired. I think it was i bit **** of the company to take 300.00 off a pentioner and not spend it on the damages.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
accidently , car , details , dinged , leave

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page