Clearing out the crud - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 15-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Clearing out the crud

I had a head gasket "go" so I've dismantled the old donkey to have a peek inside.

It all looks wonderful in there but the beast's insides seem to be a bit carboned up with horrible crud.. probably "burnt" or left over gum/varnish/residue from some of the 100-odd litres of oil he's munched his way through during the last 14 years.

I could just leave it .. the "gum" on the insides of the heads and under the rocker cover is probably not doing any harm.. but some of his arteries look a bit choked too despite using flushing oils every so often.

I was wondering if there is a good way to dissolve some of it away. I thought about dunking the entire head in a solvent bath .. followed by a thorough oiling up obviously.. but is that a good idea and what solvent?

My other idea is scraping it with a piece of lolly stick .. but any "bits" falling in the engine will do more harm than if I left it.

Anyone got any ideas? I tried some carb cleaner on the rocker cover and it hardly shifted any of this stuff at all. What's the best solvent to use?

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: herts
Re: Clearing out the crud

Takes me back a few years, and extensively long hours spent over a de-greasing tank, pumping the fluid via a hose and jet, with loads of scrapping, and stiff brush work!: Removing years of 'oven baked on residues' was a pain! New solvents available nowadays? Could be I suppose?:
jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

use pure kerosene, its safe on all seals yet tough on all crud.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

That's what we had in the degreasing tank. Still a 'lousebound' job, especially on stinky old diesel components!: Almost as bad as eating garlic?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
clearing , crud

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page