156 lusso or veloce - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 14-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Midlothian
156 lusso or veloce

Hi,

I'm looking at getting a 2005 Alfa 156 - is there much difference between the Lusso and the Veloce model with the sports suspension

I plan to get the 2.0 jts engine version

Rgds

Leslie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

Re: 156 lusso or veloce

Lusso is a right roly poly squidgy sofa of a thing. Great if you do lots of motorway/town driving but horrible at the first fast roundabout. Veloce on the other hand is quite harsh but better in the corners. You can't win I'm afraid. Try one and see if you like it.
AO Gold Member

Since you're looking at a 2005 156 I would not hesitate in recommending the Veloce version. Why? Because:
1) The car sits much better on the road, the springs are a little lower than the Lusso and the subtle sideskirts give a purposeful look.
2) The overall suspension settings are a little more compliant than the earlier phase Veloce cars. Certainly on the facelift models the front lower wishbones were revised to give a more compliant ride.
3) On general A-roads and on the twisty bits the ride of the late series Veloces is very good. The car is firmly planted on the road and there is good feedback from the steering.
4) ok on broken and undulating surfaces this compliance is somewhat compromised, but it is supposed to be a sporty saloon!

Drive both examples of a late series 156 and you will quickly make up your own mind. Also, on the late 2005 series cars, do consider the 1.9JTDm engine, this has the uprated 150bhp engine and goes extremely well. Through 3rd/4th/5th gears you will destroy the JTS version, and many other cars, with ease. Better still, if you come across the rare JTDm Sport version, definitely give this a go! And if it's any help, I get over 50mpg with my 156 Sport on a long run!!
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

To be honest I think you'd have to be a real expert in suspensions to tell much difference between the Lusso and the Veloce in that respect. The Veloce looks a bit nicer/sportier but the Lusso has (or should have) leather and a few other gadgets. Other than that I would just say get the one you like as really there's not that much difference.

There was also a Ti and a Sport in 2005 that would be worth looking out for if you want sporty.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrofoglio View Post
as really there's not that much difference.
I must disagree with you there.
:wtf:
Have you driven 156 Lusso and Veloces back to back? There is a whole world of difference to the point where you could be seriously cheesed off if you buy the wrong one. It's not just a side skirt and a bit of wood you know.
jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

i agree the eibach uprated gas shocks and eibach lowering springs and increased toe on the veloce all make a huge difference to handling, but its nothing you couldnt do to a lusso, or you could make a lusso even better than a veloce with better springs and dampers.
AO Gold Member

Agreed, there is a significant difference in the ride between Lusso and Veloce versions. You need to drive both cars to decide which is best for you. Also, Veloce versions may have leather and 17" alloys included. Certainly with the Sport version you get a very classy dark grey leather interior with 17" multi-spoked alloys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider95 View Post
Since you're looking at a 2005 156 I would not hesitate in recommending the Veloce version. Why? Because:
1) The car sits much better on the road, the springs are a little lower than the Lusso and the subtle sideskirts give a purposeful look.
2) The overall suspension settings are a little more compliant than the earlier phase Veloce cars. Certainly on the facelift models the front lower wishbones were revised to give a more compliant ride.
3) On general A-roads and on the twisty bits the ride of the late series Veloces is very good. The car is firmly planted on the road and there is good feedback from the steering.
4) ok on broken and undulating surfaces this compliance is somewhat compromised, but it is supposed to be a sporty saloon!

Drive both examples of a late series 156 and you will quickly make up your own mind. Also, on the late 2005 series cars, do consider the 1.9JTDm engine, this has the uprated 150bhp engine and goes extremely well. Through 3rd/4th/5th gears you will destroy the JTS version, and many other cars, with ease. Better still, if you come across the rare JTDm Sport version, definitely give this a go! And if it's any help, I get over 50mpg with my 156 Sport on a long run!!
I have the 1.9 Sport model you are talking about. Was there an option to install standard suspension to the Veloce as I don't think mine has the sports suspension... I don't think mine is as low as the older Veloces. Also the handling does seem a little tad loose to what I think a sports suspension should be... The dealer I bought mine from had it advertised as a 140BHP model, but after checking the V5 I saw that the power (115Kw) was wrong for it to be a 140 (110Kw). So knew I was getting the better 150 model. Just wished it had the Recaro seats in it
What was supposed to be different with the sports model BTW? To me it just seems like a standard Veloce model...
HSTDriver

I've not driven a Lusso, but own a Veloce. It's not that harsh a ride at all really, IMO. Probably stiffer than a regular saloon, but nowhere near as firm a ride as some people make out

AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Ultimate facelift 156 IMHO is the 2.0 JTS Veloce Ti (like what Ros has but in Red)

Second would be a 2.0 JTS Veloce with leather & the 17" multispoke wheels.

I had, loved & lost a 156 JTS Veloce on 17"s and it was truly a great car
(Post Link) post #11 of 11 Old 15-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Midlothian

Thanks for tips guys. I will look at both versions to see, but from what you have said the veloce or sport sounds the better model for me.

Should be a lot more stock around when the new registration comes in soon as well. Not too much cars on the market just now.

Rgds

Leslie

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
156 , lusso , veloce

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page