Twin Spark v V6. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 13-02-08 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Twin Spark v V6.

When I eventually change my car, which is probably a long time in the future, ( but I do like to think ahead, if thinking is a skill that could be attributed to me ) I was wondering whether to stick with the TS or go V6.

A few questions :-

Maintenance costs of V6 compared with the TS ?

Reliability comparison ?

Driving experience between TS and V6 ?

Any other thoughts ?

Not worried about the fuel or insurance costs, just servicing and repairs. Iím sure there are many folks here who have gone from TS to V6 and would welcome any thoughts regarding the experience. Cheers.

Nige.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Re: Twin Spark v V6.

I have owned a few of each, so I can probably make a few comments.
The V6 is fast, and sounds great, but the 3 litre and 3.2 versions are far better than the 2.5 which can feel a bit lacking in midrange urge but have similar fuel economy.

The V6 cars are a bit heavier up front so you will lose some handling unless you uprate suspension.
The V6 are supposedly more reliable, but if it does go wrong it will cost a lot more.
AO Member

County: Auckland

Having owned both, I can also mke similiar comparisons....having owned cars with all three iterations of the alfa 4 cylinder, the most pur sang are the 8V twinsparks and old original 8V DOHC - they are lively, grunty beasts. The 16V twinspark is unbelievable - it is fast and quite furious, and barks like a demented dog, better even than the 8V twinspark, which growl like a bear.

but the V-6s....they are sheer power. Ihave owned a V6 164, the 3.0. Opening the taps at 3000 rpm is a demonic howl that lives forever in your memory. The beasts are scalded cats, and frighten M5's and AMG'ed Mercs something awful, and keep up with Ferraris enough to freak out drivers.....

But fwd alfas are very different in feel to rwd drive alfas. having had a go in a rwd GTV6, a rwd/4wd Alfa is going to go like stink with a V6 round corners, while the fwd twinspark is amazing in corners, just from the different inertial moments.

So.....depends what your doing.

Cross country high speed - get a V6
Ludicrous fun in twisty-turny bits - get a Twinspark

best of both worlds - Get a V6 on a 4wd system - like a 164 super or a Brera 3.2
Absolutely off-the-wall mental - 3.2 GTA 147, or nuttier yet, a 3.7 Autodelta GTA......

Martin
cul

Having owned a 2.0 T/S and two Arese V6's. Lets say i will never go back to a 4 cylinder car again. Nuff said.....

Get a V6 and fit Q2 diff.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepshark View Post
So.....depends what your doing.

Cross country high speed - get a V6
Ludicrous fun in twisty-turny bits - get a Twinspark

best of both worlds - Get a V6 on a 4wd system - like a 164 super or a Brera 3.2
Or a 3.0 166 with uprated suspension and a Q2 LSD.

The Twinnie is cheaper to run. in the 166, my 3.0 averages 22mpg. the twinnie gets 30mpg.

Oh, and doing the cambelts on the twinnie makes your bank manager happy. doing them on the V6 makes him very happy (and my wife very unhappy )
AO Member

Member car:

GTV V6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul View Post
Having owned a 2.0 T/S and two Arese V6's. Lets say i will never go back to a 4 cylinder car again. Nuff said.....

Get a V6 and fit Q2 diff.
no contest I have to say... V6 is a different world, no need for a radio, listen to the engine instead!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
spark , twin

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page