Lexus IS200 v 156 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 29 Old 11-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire
Lexus IS200 v 156

***Updated read post 16***

Well now ive picked my Lexus up I feel im tresspassing.
Please don't shoot me with pepper spray and shout something about your land.

So I used to have a 2001 Black Alfa 156 Sele SP3, which was a fantastic car, loved driving in it and it honestly felt like an extension of myself when I was driving in it.

I traded that in for a stunning 2002 '52' Black Lexus IS200 Sport with the 18" 6 spoke alloys (apparently the alloys are more sought after than the standard 5 spoke but who cares hehe). Ill post a pic if anyone would like.

Lexus feels very slow, there is no burst of speed at any point of the rev range. Because of this I feel a bit shaky at the minute when driving it. I dont really know what its going to do when I put my foot down. Ive put this down to the Lexus being a luxureous car but I do miss the 3000rpm burst of my Alfa.

Spec wise there isn't much difference both had Climate Control, Electric Mirrors etc but the Lexus does have a few more bits.
Folding electric wing mirrors which is a novelty for me at the min which will probably wear off and the seat are fully electrically adjustable using just two chromed knobs at the side.

Handling is a tad less together than the Alfa and feels heavier but is still miles better than the hired Golf I was driving for a while.

Altogether I feel the Alfa looked like luxury on wheels but was a sportier beast and gave the driver a huge sense of occasion when driving. I felt like the king of the road but not in a knobish BMW way.
The lexus looks sporty however it is a luxury car. Although it will pick up speed reasonably quickly on paper it will do 0-60 in 9.2secs in the drivers seat it feels more like 20secs because you cant hear much engine or road noise.
Which you may think is a bad thing and for the people who love speed it is but the result is you will be bumbling a long the motorway wondering why everyone is going so slowly and you look at the speedometer and you will be on the thick side of 100mph and you wouldn't even know it.

Conclusion: The Alfa is a fine car, the lexus is also a fine car but they feel worlds apart and so I wouldn't be able to say which one is better than the other.
It depends what the driver is after but if I could afford it, id have both.

Last edited by ChrisSound; 14-01-10 at 16:08. Reason: Updated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: Lexus IS200 v 156

Fairynuff, mate......
AO Silver Member

County: Kent

Member car:

159 ti

I had the Lexus IS220d as a choice on my car list but went for the 159 Lusso instead on the basis that I wanted a car that I could really drive for a change instead of always going for the "practical" choice.
(Post Link) post #4 of 29 Old 11-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

The only reason I bought the Lexus instead of another Alfa was because I couldn't afford the 159.
I was looking and umming n ahhing but in the end it would have been financial suicide to buy a £20k car. I know you can get them for less but even then it would have been too expensive for me.
The lexus was the best looking 4-door saloon (apart from the 156) i could find in my price range.
I thought about getting another 156 but I was apprehensive after the reliability of my 156.
Cant wait til a few years go by when hopefully ill be in a position to
get another Alfa.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Is it the old style IS or the new style one? I do like the look of the older one actually. And is it not rear wheel drive in the Lexus? Got to be a handling advantage there you'd have thought..
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

I agree about the looks of the Lexus iS200 although I've heard they are heavy on fuel and expensive to service. I also think the interior looks like a 1980's japanese mini hi-fi. I might still have had one if the 156 hadn't been available 3 years ago.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

I actually considered an IS before getting my 156 but couldn't really afford it. I made the right choice
(Post Link) post #8 of 29 Old 11-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Its the old one which in my opinion does look better than the new ones and yes its rear wheel drive
Im yet to find out about the fuel.
AO Platinum Member

County: Limburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
I actually considered an IS before getting my 156 but couldn't really afford it. I made the right choice
Same here
I did love the dash in the old style IS200
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Nowt wrong with Lexus although I liken the reputation damage caused by Alan Partridge to that of some of our dodgy dealers
AO Silver Member

Garage

So other than cruising at over the ton no contest then.
Damien_C

You should have got an Altezza in favour of the IS200 the Altezza is the Toyota version of the IS200 they are exactly the same in styling as each other. The IS200 is a 150bhp 6 Cylinder engine which does sound very nice But rather heavy and slow compared to the Beams engined Altezza with a Yamaha engineered head on the car. It has cam shifting like the Alfa. They have 200bhp on 100 Ron fuel so with England 98 Octane fuel it wouldn't be too far off it haha

Lovely cars though great cruisers and a nice alternative to a BMW.

Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Well, glad you like your new car.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage

The old IS was a pretty good car

RWD so, for some, the handling will be more faithful than a 156.

A lot heavier.

Much better screwed together.

A good choice and probably a logical volte face after Alfa ownership (especially if you are wanting to avoid the BMW route).
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Lexus feels very slow, there is no burst of speed at any point of the rev range.
Yes, the IS200 is supposed to be a wee bit slow, and heavy on fuel because you have to drive with your foot to the floor to keep up with grandma's hatchback:
To buy one of these you’d need rocks in your head… | AutoSpeed Blog
"OK, so the space utilisation is a design lesson in how not to do it. What about performance? Ahhh, performance…..well, this car doesn’t have any."

Also Browser Warning covers the IS200 special edition.
(Post Link) post #16 of 29 Old 14-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Well I have been lurking around here for a while so thought I would bring up my old thread after I left the Alfa fold almost 2 years ago.

I sold the Lexus last week and am going to look at an Alfa 156 2.5 V6 Q-System on Sunday.

Truth be told I read back my review of the Lexus and was quite faithful if somewhat reserved in the negative points of the Lexus. The absolute truth is that the IS200 is so underpowered it feels like it should have a disabled badge on it. Manual gearbox needed to be constantly worked to get the car reving properly by which time you are staring at the consumption gauge which has neatly rested above the 5mpg indicator. Im not bothered about MPG really but when you feel like you could accelerate quicker using your feet it starts to irritate you, average mpg...24!!
True it does have VVTI however it hardly feels like it does anything and they have conveiniantly placed it at 4600rpm...and the redline is 6000rpm, so whats the point?

Well the point is its a luxury car not a sporty car (god knows why they do sport model eh?) and as a luxury car it was fantastic, reliable and comfy. 2 years and not one problem with it. Hurrah you might think however the amount I lost on the car was staggering. Bought for 7500 2 years ago, sold for 4000 last sunday. The emissions on this thing are ludicrous 233g/km meaning it is in the tippty top tax band so it took a massive hit.

Anywho I am clear of the financial obligations of that car now so as I said looking at another Alfa on sunday heres hoping its 'the one'
Just thought I would give you an update just to reassure you all that you do indeed drive the best cars around.

Chris.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Nice to hear someone who has moved to another marque that then doesn't slag Alfa's off. Hope it goes well for you.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
I doubt you will find the Q system 156 very fast either.

The V6 is quite a peaky engine and only 4 speeds doesn't do it justice. IMO the 6 speed manual is far better for working that engine.

Personally I don't like Autos if the truth be told even ones you can change gear manually with.

I do like the Lexus IS200, but was put off by the fact that it was only a 2.0
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

A thirsty 147

I will agree on the point that Busso is way more efficient on 6speed manual.

But I am soooo lazy behind the wheel, my next car will be Auto for sure. That is if dont buy GT
AO Platinum Member

My dad had a Beemer 540i (E39) and that was an Auto.

It was a great car and a great engine, but the Auto box ruined it to a degree.

Even in manual mode there was a delay between putting your foot down and anything happening whilst the box sorted itself out.

Once it was rolling it went like stink, but the Auto just wasn't for me.

I also owned a Rover Sterling (2.7 Auto) and that also had a delay between putting your foot down and anything happening.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
what was it like in the snow?

as bad as all the Beemers? The last month all I have heard in the office is Beemer owners saying "couldn't get it off the estate etc."
AO Member

County: Kent
The Q-System 156, I feel, is a brilliant compromise, the best of both worlds!
As much as I loved my old 164, it suffered from the 'V6 Alfa heavy clutch syndrome' and could end up being a little uncomfortable driving around town... what a beast out on the open road though!
I occasionally use the 'manual' option on mine, but for a more spirited drive, I normally switch it to 'sport' mode... she's off like a greyhound with a dab of mustard up its chookers!
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveisfrowning View Post
what was it like in the snow?

as bad as all the Beemers? The last month all I have heard in the office is Beemer owners saying "couldn't get it off the estate etc."
Not too bad in the snow, and certainly better than my GTV which is next to useless.

I think I prefer RWD in the snow if the truth be told.
AO Member

County: Warwickshire
I own a 156 1.8 Veloce, and have a friend with an IS200.

I haven't driven the IS myself, but have been in it enough times to say it is better than the 156 in most areas. However, it cost nearly 10k more than my 156, and it is only a couple of years newer (2003 instead of 2000).

Handling & Ride: For a FWD car the 156 handles well, but the RWD IS200 is in another league. It also manages to have a incredibly smooth ride as opposed to the harsh ride in my 156 Veloce.

Engine: Both have similar power, both have similar 0-60 times (just about 9s). The 6-cylinder in the IS sounds very nice. The IS does need to be constantly floored to get anywhere as it's so heavy, but so does the 156 really. The IS feels like it pulls much better at higher speeds than my 156 (possibly as mine is only the 1.8)

Equipment: Pretty much the same but the IS has some nice little touches like electronically adjustable seats, folding wing mirrors, 6-CD changer in the dash etc.

Interior: The IS has a nice interior, but I much prefer the 156. There seems to be more room in the 156 for passengers as the electronically adjustable front seats in the IS take up lots of room, and the transmission tunnel in the IS makes it difficult to fit someone in the middle seat in the back. Also the boot on the IS has huge hinges which take up lots of boot space, so the 156 boot is much better.

Running costs: Probably similar on insurance, similar on repairs, book figures for MPG are the same, perhaps IS is a couple of MPG less.

Overall, I'd say the IS is a better car in terms of more refined, better performance, but it's just not as fun as the 156. And you certainly pay a lot more to get one.
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Engine: Both have similar power, both have similar 0-60 times (just about 9s). The 6-cylinder in the IS sounds very nice. The IS does need to be constantly floored to get anywhere as it's so heavy, but so does the 156 really. The IS feels like it pulls much better at higher speeds than my 156 (possibly as mine is only the 1.8)
Hardly fair comparing a four pot 1.8 and a straight six 2.0?!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
156 , is200 , lexus

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page