Just had my first drive of an "ordinary" car - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 11-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire
Just had my first drive of an "ordinary" car

it's experiences like this that make me realise how good the alfa is.

I was round at my mates house to help him fit a tailgate to his Fiat Bravo (1.6 16v "sx"), he had been drinking the night before and was still over the limit so i had to pull his car onto his driveway. In comparison to the alfa it was... weird. The throttle was more sensitive but not as precise, the clutch was very vague and the brakes very sharp. It felt like trying to park a boat.

The worst of it was the steering. In the alfa, one turn either way puts you on full lock, little wrist twitches help you adjust the line all the way in. In the bravo, 4 turns of a spoon in porridge from lock to lock, half turns to adjust the line. It was horrible.

Also, unlike the alfa, no torque wave to ride on and carry you over bumps etc.

Somehow the alfa just seems that little more special.

Alfa GT 3.2 V6 - Quaife diff, Wizard SS manifolds, Scorpion SS downpipes, Scorption GTA catback, Bilstein b4 Dampers, braided brake lines, MTEC drilled disks, Red Stuff pads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Re: Just had my first drive of an "ordinary" car

amen
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Never again!

AO Platinum Member

County: Limburg

It is a problem - I feel I will never be able to move away. Not a single car in the price range comes anywhere near the feel and pleasure and fun of the Alfa...
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

GTV V6

Would think a Bravo HGT would be a more fair comparison to your Cloverleaf. Also the fact that it's easy to get used to your own car, so all others seem weird. But you're probably right, there is something about an Alfa that seems to hit the spot
GTS
AO Member

Member car:

GT JTS SELESPEED

I had a 1.8 Fiat Bravo for 4 years in the 90s and it was actually a very good car indeed I thought. Pretty fast with good handling and actually fairly good looking. Can,t really complain to be honest.
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

And remember Fiat's are generally above average for driver appeal. Try something like a Nissan Almera if you want a real revelation.
PEd
AO Member

lol i hear what you are all saying. since i got my alfa another two have sprung up on my road. a few houses down has a red 156 that looks just like mine but pre facelift.....its catching!

i had a bravo HGT before my alfa and tbh i had a lot more fun in the bravo. so much infact im thinking of getting another

i had the pleasure of driving a new shape astra the other day, it was a diesel 5-door jobby but my god it was horrific! i really cant believe people part with their hard earned money for one of these things! its put me right off diesel's as well
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by G5een View Post
i had a bravo HGT before my alfa and tbh i had a lot more fun in the bravo. so much infact im thinking of getting another

i had the pleasure of driving a new shape astra the other day, it was a diesel 5-door jobby but my god it was horrific! i really cant believe people part with their hard earned money for one of these things! its put me right off diesel's as well
My lass has a Astra Club as a hire car at the mo, it's really bad, awful interior, tinny, gutless, clutch bite appears none existant.

I have to wonder how Vauxhall could get the new Corsa so right and the Astra so wrong?
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk

We had an original Punto 1.2.

For what it was it was great - top speed 96mph (true as I was done for speeding with my foot flat at just that speed).

It was reliable, fun (for a 1.2) and cheap.

The 147 was a completely different beast as was the GTV - bottom line - A bloody fine car company.

Paul.
AO Silver Member

County: Powys

My old man has the Marea, the saloon version of this car with the JTD 1.9 diesel engine, and it drives fine, I am also under the impresion that it and certain Alfas share the same Fiat Tipo floorplan.
It is however not as refined as my 156, nor is as fast
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

147 GTA Q2

I know what you mean Ransoman. As you know my 145 is off the road (still, Garage are waiting for parts..grrrr). The courtesy car they have given me is a citreon c4 picasso. Its a very frustrating car, with the Alfa if you put your foot down you get instant response, With the citreon you floor it, wait for 10 minutes then it decides to respond..

You do not realise how attached you are to your car till its away. I miss my 145 soooo much... Hopefully ill have it back this week
happy man

Chalk and Cheese my two
Drive the 1.2 Grande every day but it's comfy handles OK and gives me over 60mpg on the daily run between Liverpool and Blackburn

Then the beast comes out to play on the weekend I have to drive carefully for the first couple of Junctions so I'm not wheel spinning all over the shop

jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransoman View Post
The worst of it was the steering. In the alfa, one turn either way puts you on full lock, little wrist twitches help you adjust the line all the way in. In the bravo, 4 turns of a spoon in porridge from lock to lock, half turns to adjust the line. It was horrible.
the 145 is bascially just a restyled bravo. the bravo steering is lighter because the pump has a weaker relief valve (on the SX, the HLX/HGT is same as 145). the bravo has 3.1 turns lock to lock, the 145 has 2, so that will make a big difference.
jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

Quote:
Originally Posted by G5een View Post
i had a 1.8HLX bravo (same 1747cc lump as my twinspark). to drive i prefer the bravo to the 156, but the 156 is better at everything else. i still keep my eyes open for a heraldic blue mk2 HGT, a mint example would probably make me sell the 156.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jug View Post
i had a 1.8HLX bravo (same 1747cc lump as my twinspark). to drive i prefer the bravo to the 156, but the 156 is better at everything else. i still keep my eyes open for a heraldic blue mk2 HGT, a mint example would probably make me sell the 156.
ive been looking at a yellow one they really are great cars imo (hgt anyway).

i rarely use my car these days so im finding it difficult to justify the insurance premium and depreciation of the alfa. after all an alfa romeo is a glorified fiat
(Post Link) post #18 of 18 Old 12-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire

I think i would be happy with a bravo HGT. When i say "ordinary car", i put emphasis on the "oridinary". Bog standard, low spec model.

Bear in mind, my last 3 cars where all sports spec so sharper suspension and steering all round. I am used to it. The bravo really was my first taste of "ordinary" in a long time.

I think i am going to stick with alfa's and top spec fiats for a very long time.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
car , drive , ordinary

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page