GT 2.0 or GT 3.2? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 35 Old 11-02-08 Thread Starter

GT 2.0 or GT 3.2?

Hello all, after buying my wife an alfa 147 last year, I have fallen in love with the brand.

So after dodging and diving, wheeling and dealing I have scrapped together the cash for a 2nd hand GT.

But, simply I can not decide weather to go for the all round sensible 2.0 JTS with its great engine note but still fairly frugal 32MPG.....OR.....The main event that is the 3.2 V6, with its eye watering 22 MPG.

I only drive about 10 miles a day to and from the train station, but travel fairly extensively playing and watching sport on a w/e.

So basically, I need all your views and opinions, because at the moment I just cant make my mind up...

iFlavour -> thoroughly confused alfa-tista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire
Re: GT 2.0 or GT 3.2?

If you can afford it, no brainer - 3.2.

If money is a concern, the 2.0 will not dissapoint.

If you really are worried about fuel costs then work out what you would spend on an annual basis at 22mpg and 32 mpg. from what you say then your bill will be 50% more with the 3.2 but think about it in actual £ note terms. If you don't do that many miles then the £ cost won't be all that much more. If that turns out to be the case then it's a no-brainer, get the 3.2 It's sublime.
AO Platinum Member

County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

And for only 10 miles a day, the 3.2 wont spend that much. And will live you with the desire to make 100 miles instead!
Graham P

...but if you get the V6 you will find yourself taking the long way round more often

As you have said you won't be doing alot of cummuting miles, so that leaves the odd weekend blast....cost of fuel should not come into it V6....go for it

Chris
AO Member

Member car:

GTV6

I have the 2.0 and i can tell you it is quite some car the engine sound even at tickover is lovely but when you rev it hard it sounds like a super bike. Acceleration at high revs is ballistic! But its real strong point is its handling it is so sharp responds so quickly to minuet steering inputs and you always know what the back end is doing.

However.... if I could have bought a brand new V6 3.2 I would have done, but they have now discontinued this model, as a result of ceasing production of the glorious Arese V6 :-(

The V6 is an altogether different beast, it doesn't handle quite as well as the 2.0 which i reckon is probably the best handling of all the current Alfas ( i think this is part due to extra weight of the V6 over the nose and also the resulting spring / damper changes). However the noise a V6 makes especially when driven hard is hard to beat. Then there the acceleration it just keeps coming right up to 150 + but it also pulls from 20MPH in top gear. It has been often said but i think it bears repeating that V6 was probably one of if not the greatest production engines ever built!

If your buying second-hand, it got to be the V6.

But you won't be disappointed with either. But i find whenever I buy an Alfa that isn't a V6 I wish I had bought the V6... But be warned V6 ownership is rarely a cheap experience - I have had quite a few V6 Alfas and have the scars to prove!
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Got to be the V6. The JTS is excellent (I had a 2 litre 156 JTS and it's a cracking engine) but a V6 GT is a baby Ferrari IMHO
AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

Either - just enjoy which ever one you decide to buy.

AO Member

Member car:

GT V6

I've just bought a V6 and it really does put a smile on your face, although I am quite scared about how quickly the fuel guage drops! Yes, it will cost a lot more in fuel, but it will sound beautiful and goes like stink. If fuel is a concern what about the diesel? I've heard that shifts, but just doesn't have the same engine note? Passion -v- practicality!! (sorry, this probably doesn't help you decide!)
AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaGranTurismo View Post
I've just bought a V6 and it really does put a smile on your face, although I am quite scared about how quickly the fuel guage drops! Yes, it will cost a lot more in fuel, but it will sound beautiful and goes like stink. If fuel is a concern what about the diesel? I've heard that shifts, but just doesn't have the same engine note? Passion -v- practicality!! (sorry, this probably doesn't help you decide!)

Quite a few threads on here about the diesel and getting it re-mapped to boost the power.

AO Silver Member

County: Lake District
Garage

You could always go for a V6 with an LPG conversion - best of both worlds.

Alfa Romeo : 3.2 V6 with LPG conversion
AO Member

Member car:

GTV6

Personally I wouldnt worry about fuel consumption lol As I said earlier V6 should be top of the list - just a shame they stopped production.
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire

Member car:

2002 GTV T.Spark

I would love a V6 for motorway blasts and keep thinking of getting one.But i also love the way you can chuck a 2.0l around on the twisty bits especially a tweak'ed one.Sorry i cant be more helpfull
alfa_147_jtd_16v

Out of choice, I'd obviously go for the 3.2 becuase of the low mileage...HOWEVER! what everyone is forgetting here is engines of that ilk are going to be seriously taxed off the roads in a short while and only those with serious amounts of cash will be able to own one in their garage, let alone running it.

If you only want to keep it for a year or two, go for the 3.2 (imo), otherwise be sensible and go for the JTD, ooppps sorry JTS .

AO Silver Member

County: Cambridgeshire

Get an old one and it will be exempt from emission based tax.

The cost of vehicle tax for cars, motorcycles, light goods vehicles and trade licences : Directgov - Motoring
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

One registered in 2005 will be OK. Most you'll pay is £205 a year in tax
AO Member

Member car:

GTV6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie GTV View Post
I would love a V6 for motorway blasts and keep thinking of getting one.But i also love the way you can chuck a 2.0l around on the twisty bits especially a tweak'ed one.Sorry i cant be more helpfull
You can chuck a 3.0 or 3.2 round just as well - you just need to be a bit more carefull. But the 2.0s have something about them - the way you can hold them at impossible high revs means that when you seem to have more control over the back end, and less understeer )almost like my old GTV6 which you can steer beautifully on the throttle :-) ) coincidentally
the new 916 GTV seems most noticable in this respect - i think the 916 GTV edges out the GT on ultimate seat of your pants handling!
alfa_147_jtd_16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
One registered in 2005 will be OK. Most you'll pay is 205 a year in tax
For now.....but don't count your chickens just yet - thats what I mean when I say for the next two years, owning a 3.2 may not be too bad but any longer than this and I think even engines like mine will be taxed heavily in either duty or some other method.

Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa_147_jtd_16v View Post
For now.....but don't count your chickens just yet - thats what I mean when I say for the next two years, owning a 3.2 may not be too bad but any longer than this and I think even engines like mine will be taxed heavily in either duty or some other method.
I don't think any government will up the road tax on older, bigger engine'd cars. Its a vote loser and hits the poorest hardest, those who can't afford to go and buy a new car, especially the aforementioned new tax rule means their old car is now worth half what it was before..
Graham P

I'm thinking of getting let's say a 2001 GTV 3.0 V6. Will that be taxed heavily. I'm a wee bit confused

alfa_147_jtd_16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
I don't think any government will up the road tax on older, bigger engine'd cars. Its a vote loser and hits the poorest hardest, those who can't afford to go and buy a new car, especially the aforementioned new tax rule means their old car is now worth half what it was before..
Thats why I say 'other means of tax', not just Road Tax - things like conjestion charging based on engine size/emissions is already going ahead as well as the new London Pollution thingie which will also gradually filter down to cars (I reakon anyway).
It's a shame though if this does happen though as the 3.2 is simply amazing.

AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

V6
AO Silver Member

County: -

Its as simple as this:

If you buy the 2.0 you will always wish you had bought the 3.2. Thats what happened to me with my Spider.

Everytime you are having a great drive, you just know it would be that much better with a 6-cylinder soundtrack.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham P View Post
I'm thinking of getting let's say a 2001 GTV 3.0 V6. Will that be taxed heavily. I'm a wee bit confused
alfa_147_jtd_16v is just speculating.. It may or may not happen.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page