GTA Selespeed vs. Lancer Evo with SST transmission - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 09-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

GTA Selespeed vs. Lancer Evo with SST transmission

Just got back from a 30 minute test drive of the new Mitsubishi Evo X with the trick SST clutchless manual transmission and thought this might be an interesting topic of discussion.

Although I thought the SST was an amazing bit of machinery with astonishingly fast and smooth gear changes, I still strongly prefer my old GTA's Selespeed unit. What I was most surprised at was that downshifting in the SST had nearly no impact on deacceleration - in other words downshifts made amazing noise but did not function as an engine brake technique.

To me, the GTA felt very much like driving a manual and I used the downshifts to deaccelerate the car all the time. The transmission almost begs you to drive aggressively . Yes, the shifts could sometimes be a little rough, but only in the same way that a hard downshift in a manual is.

The SST (like Audi and VW's sequential DSG box) is far to smooth for my taste - the gearchanges are smooth and effortless, but it never feels like you are driving a manual.

Here is to hoping that Alfa continues to use and improve this great box!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

156 GTA

Re: GTA Selespeed vs. Lancer Evo with SST transmission

Smooth downshifts that don't use engine braking are probably a good thing to many folk though.
It definitely feels reassuring to have some engine braking in reserve if you need it, I try as much as I can to avoid using it personally.

Once you have really decent brakes you don't really need to use engine braking since its harder on the transmission. People heel and toe to avoid excessive engine braking, it sounds like the evo has this nailed which is technically impressive..

I do occassionally use extra engine braking on downshifts to shift the effective brake bias forward (causing stabilizing understeer) which has helped in situataions where I have totally overcooked it into a corner on track..

Does the SST have a shift ferocity setting?

How quick did the car feel acceleration wise, and how comfy was it?
(I'm getting older )

I'm not a doctor - but I really do recommend braking later
(Post Link) post #3 of 10 Old 09-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailbraker View Post
People heel and toe to avoid excessive engine braking, it sounds like the evo has this nailed which is technically impressive..

Does the SST have a shift ferocity setting?

How quick did the car feel acceleration wise, and how comfy was it?
(I'm getting older )
The car is pretty much a technical marvel - the SST has what is called a Super Sport Mode (in addition to Normal and Sport) - in this mode it holds gears till the engine redlines for a few seconds and downshifts at the highest possible rpm - car magazine test have shown that the car is faster around the track in Super Sport Mode than when a professional driver does the paddle shifting himself - they definitely did nail it!

Acceleration is amazing - unlike my old Impreza Stis, there was next to no turbo lag anywhere and push you back in your seat power!

It is also hugely practical - great back seat - plenty for three kids (which is why I was considering this so seriously), excellent headroom, fabulous Recaro seats with bolsters so firm and perfectly placed for sports driving that I don't think an overweight driver could sit down!

Although the Evo uses 4-pot Brembos, they are in a completely different league than my GTA's (even after the Ferrado pad, line and fluid upgrade). I hit the brakes hard a few times and the car just slowed down in a very uneventful manner with exactly the same intensity as I pressed the pedal (in other words excellent modulation and feel, and seemingly no fade).

It also has an amazing 650 watt Rockford Fosgate audio system.

Though no beauty, it is leagues better than previous "boy-racer" Evos, and the interior, though not an Alfa or BMW, looks much more upscale.

Lots and lots of pluses and very few minuses. I had a deposit on one but the wife strongly insisted on the Alpina. After finally getting to drive the SST, I can say that as good as it is, I am glad I didn't get one - I have driven several DSG sequential manuals and they always struck me as too smooth and uninvolving - the SST (also a sequential) has very much the same character. Performs flawlessly but is not nearly as exciting at the GTA Selespeed unit (at least to me)....
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

Thanks for that Charlie - very interesting.
(Post Link) post #5 of 10 Old 09-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

One more thing - tell me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the rear tail light treatment on the Evo look very similar to the 159?

Evo:

http://static.blogo.it/autoblog/mits...r_evo_x_06.jpg

159:

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/article...105763/02l.jpg
AO Platinum Member

County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Cheers Charlie. Good that you "miss" your GTA Sele.
AO Member

County: Edinburgh

The Evos have always intrigued me - I rather like the Tommy Mak edition.

How is the Alpina running, Charlie?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

You aren't wrong, I had thought that myself, and also recently read other jouranalists expressing the same opinion.

The rear works reasonably well on the Evo I think, it certainly wont put-off a whole category of drivers like the older models did with their overtly boy-racer looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTACharlie View Post
One more thing - tell me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the rear tail light treatment on the Evo look very similar to the 159?

Evo:

http://static.blogo.it/autoblog/mits...r_evo_x_06.jpg

159:

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/article...105763/02l.jpg
(Post Link) post #9 of 10 Old 09-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecurie Ecosse View Post
The Evos have always intrigued me - I rather like the Tommy Mak edition.

How is the Alpina running, Charlie?
A few days ago I made a long post describing the Alpina and comparing it to the GTA. To make a long story short, it is a very good car - it is very fast, lots and lots of low down torque, great suspension, very luxurious, and in many ways better than my old M3, but in the end, I truly miss my GTA. Though I am 45 and my wife thinks I need an "executive car", the flamboyant and outgoing nature of the GTA is much more suited to my personality. Have already decided that my next car will most definitely be Italian!
AO Member

County: Edinburgh

Thanks Charlie - I just found the other post!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
evo , gta , lancer , selespeed , sst , transmission

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page