Alfa key fob - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 08-02-08 Thread Starter

Alfa key fob

hi can anyone help. my alfa key remote has died.. ive replaced the battery and it still wont unlock the car..

if i got hold of a key off ebay.. would i beable to change the blade and have the new remote coded to my car?

can anyone help!?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Re: Alfa key fob

Oh dear. I think you need the immobiliser code programmed into the new key. Your dealer should be able to do this. However you need the code to do this. Do you have the master key? That will give them the right code. Alternatively, if you take it back to the original dealer, they may have a database of original codes. This all applied to the GTV which was more or less the same tech as the 156, but if I'm wring I'm sure someone will be along to correct the info shortly!
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 08-02-08 Thread Starter

ive only got the one key.. No master key... is there anyway they could find the key code via the chassis/reg number..??
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderfish View Post
Oh dear. I think you need the immobiliser code programmed into the new key. Your dealer should be able to do this. However you need the code to do this. Do you have the master key? That will give them the right code. Alternatively, if you take it back to the original dealer, they may have a database of original codes. This all applied to the GTV which was more or less the same tech as the 156, but if I'm wring I'm sure someone will be along to correct the info shortly!

Immob is on a chip that can be transferred from 1 key to another, the alarm/locking electronics are programmed via the ECU are they not?

In theory, I think it can be transferred from one good key to another via the ECU (i.e inserting the good key then the one with the new battery). However, in practice this did not work on my Beemer key fob and I am up for about 300EUROs to get a new key fob. Absolutely scandalous raping exercise by BMW. The key fob is cunningly devised so when the battery goes flat it can't be replaced. However, I found an article on the web and put a new battery in anyway but still no good even after reprogramming it etc.

For the moment the wife has the working key fob and I have the dead one. It still works manually but I get no remote door opening etc.

A good aftermarket key fob supplier should be able to make a fortune I reckon. Can't be too hard to undercut BMWs 300 EURO key fob. I also have to take in a mountain of paperwork to the Belgian retards who work at BMW Brussels. Not happy
AO Silver Member

I'm pretty sure that Alfa keys are like the BMW example mentioned, you can't simply transfer the chip. Nor can you code a new key just by putting it in the ignition after having an existing key in it. You have to put the master key in, then put thenew blank key in. Only master keys can "create" new immobiliser codes like this.

Re. the database of codes, yeah I think you're right, that was for the alarm not the immobiliser.
jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno68 View Post
In theory, I think it can be transferred from one good key to another via the ECU (i.e inserting the good key then the one with the new battery).
no, you remove the immob chip from your old key and stick it inside the new key.

every key has a unique code, any car can be 'taught' any key code. to perform this learning procedure you need to have the immob master code and an examiner machine.

the remote is completely seperate to the immob, if your reomte is not working then you should fix it, 9/10 that will only require a quick solder of the switch.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
alfa , fob , key

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page