GTV V6 to GT JTD? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 05-02-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Bristol
Posts: 1,563

Member car:

Alfa GT

GTV V6 to GT JTD?

Am I bonkers?

I currently have a stunning Black 2001 3.0 V6 GTV (sub 50k miles), not caused me a moments grief, but I have been offered a rather tasty 2004 Alfa GT 1.9 JTD with sub 40k miles for a great price.

I have driven the GT diesel before and have always said I wanted one, love the way it drives/looks, the fuel economy ….(though it did seem a bit less refined/more strained than the 2.4 JTD in my first 156.

I love the looks of my GTV with the Aero Kit and the big teledials…it really does look stunning, but feel its maybe time for a bit more boot space and fuel economy.

Anyone else made a similar move…thoughts?
V6Alfisti is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: Wondering why people buy so many Audis
AO Silver Member
 
Quadrofoglio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Yorkshire
Posts: 1,225
Re: GTV V6 to GT JTD?

Bear in mind that GT's have been dropping a lot in value lately so it might not be such a bargain as it looks and you could lose a lot of £ on it over the next few years. On the other hand your GTV will have done most of its depreciating by now and it will be hard to find another good one if you want to change back.

So keep it I say!
Quadrofoglio is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Alfie GTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Wiltshire
Posts: 2,275

Member car:

2002 GTV T.Spark

Re: GTV V6 to GT JTD?

It's up to you,only you know whats best. But i think you will miss your GTV once it's gone
Alfie GTV is offline  
(Post Link) post #4 of 11 Old 05-02-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Bristol
Posts: 1,563

Member car:

Alfa GT

Re: GTV V6 to GT JTD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrofoglio View Post
Bear in mind that GT's have been dropping a lot in value lately so it might not be such a bargain as it looks and you could lose a lot of Ł on it over the next few years. On the other hand your GTV will have done most of its depreciating by now and it will be hard to find another good one if you want to change back.

So keep it I say!
It is much cheaper than anything on autotrader for same year/mileage (unless I am looking in the wrong place?)...just the benefit of being family .

I am partially tempted to keep both!, one as my play toy (the GTV) and the GT as the mile cruncher...but being 22 its the insurance that hurts badly !
V6Alfisti is offline  
Status: -
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,986
Re: GTV V6 to GT JTD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelboyMatt View Post
It is much cheaper than anything on autotrader for same year/mileage (unless I am looking in the wrong place?)...just the benefit of being family .

I am partially tempted to keep both!, one as my play toy (the GTV) and the GT as the mile cruncher...but being 22 its the insurance that hurts badly !
I think your last sentence says it all. Keep them both mate - it's the only answer. I had to buy a GTV V6 just to hear that Busso engine. Great car though the Gt diesel is, without the Busso it's another animal.

Enjoy them both.
Will is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: United Kingdom
County: Wiltshire
Posts: 2,495
Re: GTV V6 to GT JTD?

Not quite the same but I went from 147GTA to GT JTD and can honestly say I have not missed the GTA much at all, I will say the JTD needed a remap before I was really happy as the performance wasn't enough but otherwise you'll find day to do they car will give you most of what your V6 will in a pretty good allround package, I've not looked back and for all my protestations about being in a diesel and wanting a performance petrol as my next car I see the new QV models coming out etc. and I am seriously considering buying another GT towards the end of production as mine has been a superb allrounder whether its commuting to work, crossing countries, battering people on the track or taking crap down the tip drives well, looks good and is practical without looking like any other saloon or hatchback.

With a good looking and practical diesel like the GT you could have some proper performance as you second car rather than a GTV V6.

Last edited by sandys; 05-02-08 at 12:02.
sandys is offline  
(Post Link) post #7 of 11 Old 05-02-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Bristol
Posts: 1,563

Member car:

Alfa GT

Re: GTV V6 to GT JTD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandys View Post
Not quite the same but I went from 147GTA to GT JTD and can honestly say I have not missed the GTA much at all, I will say the JTD needed a remap before I was really happy as the performance wasn't enough but otherwise you'll find day to do they car will give you most of what your V6 will in a pretty good allround package, I've not looked back and for all my protestations about being in a diesel and wanting a performance petrol as my next car I see the new QV models coming out etc. and I am seriously considering buying another GT towards the end of production as mine has been a superb allrounder whether its commuting to work, crossing countries, battering people on the track or taking crap down the tip drives well, looks good and is practical without looking like any other saloon or hatchback.

With a good looking and practical diesel like the GT you could have some proper performance as you second car rather than a GTV V6.
I have already started looking at tuning options.

It seems that you can get the plug in tuning boxes (the real digital ones, not the resistor rubbish) for £120 ish and that pushes power to 180bhp, or similar options with an ECU remap.
I must admit to siding towards the tuning box, as it is:-

a) Removable
b) Can be resold
c) I do have a habit of changing cars every 6 months of late...and it would just be sunk money.

I think realistically I might just keep to the GT (rather than both), as I will be looking at double my currently already expensive insurance bill (about £1k for the GTV V6).

Would love the GTV V6 as a spare, especially after looking back at it today and seeing its stunning lines, with the big alfa teledials and big brakes, but I also see a blackline GT park up, and love that as well.

It might come to the point whereby I have both for a month, then decide which to keep. (Only an extra £45-50 to keep the GTV on the GTs policy for that period - which is surprisingly less than my normal monthly cost).

Can you tell I am still massively undecided, hehe
V6Alfisti is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: United Kingdom
County: Wiltshire
Posts: 2,495
Re: GTV V6 to GT JTD?

The GT JTD should be less to insure, mine all mods declared is £430. I'm 34 with 6 points doing 20k a year.

I used to change cars a lot until I got the right one I've never owned a car as long as I have had this GT.

Last edited by sandys; 05-02-08 at 12:41.
sandys is offline  
(Post Link) post #9 of 11 Old 05-02-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Bristol
Posts: 1,563

Member car:

Alfa GT

Re: GTV V6 to GT JTD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandys View Post
The GT JTD should be less to insure, mine all mods declared is £430. I'm 34 with 6 points.
It is about 100 to 200 less than the V6 (a nice perk)....

Which tuning route did you go with?

PS: Out of interest...what cars did you have before (apart from the GTA?)
V6Alfisti is offline  
Graham P
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: GTV V6 to GT JTD?

A similar conumdrum to mine. I'm not sure whether to keep my 147, get a GT JTD and get it remapped or get a GTV V6!!! Last week I definitely decided to get a GTV V6 but my mechanic looked at me with a terrified look when we were discussing fuel bills the other day

I also, like you keep changing my car every few months...so basically I would be no good at all to advise you

Can you help me decide please as I want to settle down with a car now ;o)
 
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: United Kingdom
County: Wiltshire
Posts: 2,495
Re: GTV V6 to GT JTD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelboyMatt View Post
PS: Out of interest...what cars did you have before (apart from the GTA?)
Blimey too many to list a bit of everything just lacking in the german car department really, nothing there has appealled to me until the Z4 Coupe.
sandys is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
gtv , jtd

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome