B&M - USB Size & Loading Time - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 05-02-08 Thread Starter

B&M - USB Size & Loading Time

I recently purchased a 8GB usb disk, and last night finally got around to loaded it with MP3s, and when I plugged it into the B&M system today, it took forever to load. My drive today was only 15-20 mins, and it was still loading at the end of the trip, as I can see the USB light still flashing inside the glove box. Also, at first B&M says "please wait while building media library" when I try to access the media player, at the end it says "No Media Found" even though the USB is still loading.

Previously I have been using a 2GB usb disk, and on first load it probably only took 1-2 minutes.

Anyone have similar problems?
I read b4 that some users use 4-80gb external hard disk and was still able to build the media library, just wonder how long will that take?
Anyone know if there is a size limit where the B&M can support?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: South Lanarkshire
Re: B&M - USB Size & Loading Time

Hi Yappa

I don't have B&M as i'm driving BMW for now, what I do have is the USB Port which i use to plug in my 4gb stck crammed full of mp3's, It usually takes no more than a few minutes to build the media library.

If i were you I'd check a couple of things....

1: Does B&M support your USB Drive?
2: Are your files all 'mp3' ? (I cant play any other format)

Also make sure the file structure on the stick is flat and simple as this could possibly be an issue.

Good Luck
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

Member car:

Citroen DS3

Sounds like a problem with compatibility.

I use an 80gb iPod (at least a quarter full) and the library builds in no time.
AO Member

County: Berkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 166v6 View Post
Hi Yappa

I don't have B&M as i'm driving BMW for now, what I do have is the USB Port which i use to plug in my 4gb stck crammed full of mp3's, It usually takes no more than a few minutes to build the media library.

If i were you I'd check a couple of things....

1: Does B&M support your USB Drive?
2: Are your files all 'mp3' ? (I cant play any other format)

Also make sure the file structure on the stick is flat and simple as this could possibly be an issue.

Good Luck
B&M supports .mp3, .wma and .wav files. I had a similar issue on my test drive. I plugged in my 100GB hard drive, but it only tried scanning for a minute before it gave up.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J View Post
B&M supports .mp3, .wma and .wav files. I had a similar issue on my test drive. I plugged in my 100GB hard drive, but it only tried scanning for a minute before it gave up.
It doesn't give up - it builds the library in the background. My 20GB ipod took a while the first time I loaded it. New albums added take no time at all.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

2GB is the recommended maximum. I'm a rebel as I've installed 4GB
AO Platinum Member

So how come my 20GB ipod works OK?
AO Silver Member

I think 2 GB is the recommended max for Flash drive pens. The ipod is not flash memory, it's a powered hard drive. I've seen theories on here that large flash memory pens/sticks won't work as there isn't enough power (ampage I guess) to run them.

Yes the first time you plug an ipod in it takes time reading the library. If you plug in the ipod again unchanged, it only takes a few seconds to start working. If you change the contents of the ipod a bit, it takes several seconds longer to run the first time you plug it in.

Brat Pack no.8

Last edited by Commanderfish; 12-02-08 at 13:41.
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire

Has a USB drive got the option to plug a separate power supply to it?
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4JTDm

I've used a 16gb flash memory stick full of music and it worked without problem (Corsair Flash Voyager). I don't remember how long it took to build but it wasn't a noticeable issue at the time so I'm guessing it was seconds rather than minutes.

I started out with a 512Mb generic memory stick that was very problematic - seemed 50/50 whether the media player would recognise it on startup.

Recently I've needed to use my 16Gb stick for other things so now I'm using a usb card reader and a few 1 Gb SD memory cards I've got kicking around.

Last edited by effpee; 05-02-08 at 13:08.
(Post Link) post #11 of 16 Old 05-02-08 Thread Starter

All my music is in mp3 format, it finished building media library yesterday when I start the car again.
I change btw my 2gb and 8gb flash drive it rebuilds media library fairly quickly, but somehow not all folders are showing in the 8gb flash drive, and I cannot get it to rebuild the media library so it will show. I was thinking it might be caused by me turning off the car while the media library is still building.

Any ideas on how to get the media library to rebuild for this flash drive? Would changing some folder names do the job?
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

Member car:

Citroen DS3

Adding some more music would do it.
AO Member

County: Berkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
It doesn't give up - it builds the library in the background. My 20GB ipod took a while the first time I loaded it. New albums added take no time at all.
Aah, I was just impatient then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderfish View Post
I think 2 GB is the recommended max for Flash drive pens. The ipod is not flash memory, it's a powered hard drive. I've seen theorys on here that large flash memory pens/sticks won't work as there isn't enough power (ampage I guess) to run them.

Yes the first time you plug an ipod in it takes time reading the library. If you plug in the ipod again unchanged, it only takes a few seconds to start working. If you change the contents of the ipod a bit, it takes several seconds longer to run the first time you plug it in.
If it can power a portable hard drive (which it did on my test drive) through the USB then it should have no trouble at all with a pen drive of any size in that respect.

Last edited by Paul J; 06-02-08 at 17:43. Reason: mistake
AO Gold Member

I am using a cheapo 8GB flash drive (CN memory £26.00 - Amazon) it loaded so quick I didnt notice it (about 6Gb used) it works instantly and perfectly.

I browse by folder (which I have in artist order) but can browse by genre or artist anyway, I used Windows media player to rip the music to Mp3 onto the drive.
(Post Link) post #15 of 16 Old 07-02-08 Thread Starter

Mine is a cheap 8gb flash drive too ($55.00 AUD), it did work now, just not all folders are showing up, and no matter what I do (change folder names or format flash drive and copy music all over again) still won't load all folders...
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

I had an 8GB pen drive that worked perfectly for about 3 months then suddenly stopped (It would work fine in everything else it was plugged into )

Replaced it with a 4GB and no problems so far !!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
bandm , loading , size , time , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page