Spoiler fitted - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 27 Old 03-02-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Holmfirth (west Yorks)
Posts: 96

Member car:

156 Veloce

Spoiler fitted

Hi guys, a while ago i mentioned i had a high level wing to fit.

Finally finsihed fiberglassing, prepping and priming it two weeks ago. Sent it for paint (Grange Moor Coachworks) and its a perfect match. The fiberglassing was done to get the sides sat flush where they overlap, usually there is a gap there. A small thing but its all in the details!

So here it is all fitted and looking fresh!

(im not sure how to post up on here but heres a link)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/6092/dsc0219yw1.jpg

Next im going to look into a remap for it pending funds and what gains are being offered.

On a side note, anyone got a "V6 mod" pipe floating about for sale?

Sam

Sam O'Keefe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
AlfaLincs
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Spoiler fitted

Ok now you can take the Alfa Romeo badges off to save us all from embarassment...I have some nice Nissan ones you can have instead

On saturday I was filling up my 'other car' and a silver 156 2.5 rolled up with lexus type rear lights and one of those silly front grille inserts. It just said 'cheap and nasty' to me.

You can't improve perfection.

AlfaLincs

Last edited by AlfaLincs; 04-02-08 at 06:35.
 
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Chill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Lake District
Posts: 1,773
Garage
Re: Spoiler fitted

Looks a nice tidy car to me
Chill is offline  
Status: zzzzzzzz
AO Platinum Member
 
symon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 37,093
Re: Spoiler fitted

It looks similar to mine, except mine is only a 2 litre and I have GTV wheels.
Don't let anyone tell you they don't like the big spoiler, opinion is about 50-50. At least its a genuine Alfa accessory, thats what I say.

Just don't get the lexus lights..
symon is online now  
(Post Link) post #5 of 27 Old 04-02-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Holmfirth (west Yorks)
Posts: 96

Member car:

156 Veloce

Re: Spoiler fitted

Haha, don't be daft Alfalincs i'm not into all that glitzy stick on rubbish; I do help build racing alfas and have a tad of sense about me!

Like you say Symon its a genuine Alfa part so i can't see a problem, nor how i "can't improve on perfection" when im adding parts Alfa offered themselves!

Thats it as far as altering the appearences go anyway, its just how i want it.
Sam O'Keefe is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: York UK
Posts: 499

Member car:

156 2.0TS Veloce

Re: Spoiler fitted

Are you sure it's on the right way round? Looks a little odd.
icarlisle is offline  
(Post Link) post #7 of 27 Old 04-02-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Holmfirth (west Yorks)
Posts: 96

Member car:

156 Veloce

Re: Spoiler fitted

What would you prefer it to be on the bonnet? Or upside down haha! how can it possibly be on the wrong way
Sam O'Keefe is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
pedro65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: South Yorkshire
Posts: 346

Member car:

156 2.0 JTS

Re: Spoiler fitted

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
It looks similar to mine, except mine is only a 2 litre and I have GTV wheels.
Don't let anyone tell you they don't like the big spoiler, opinion is about 50-50. At least its a genuine Alfa accessory, thats what I say.

Just don't get the lexus lights..
Yeh personally i think it looks great i had the same on my 156 it finishes the car off well
pedro65 is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
jabberwocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,866
Re: Spoiler fitted

im self censoring myself with this one(ive been told off in the past for my wording when expressing my views on spoilers in general)

in short i dont like them. at all. especially on a car as beautiful as the 156.

spoilers should be left for the max power brigade and their 'unique' Saxo's

but each to their own
jabberwocky is offline  
HSTDriver
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Spoiler fitted

The high wing looks ace, with the side skirts, it just finishes the job off properly.

156 with no skirts and no wing? Might as well drive a Vectra.
 
(Post Link) post #11 of 27 Old 04-02-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Holmfirth (west Yorks)
Posts: 96

Member car:

156 Veloce

Re: Spoiler fitted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
im self censoring myself with this one(ive been told off in the past for my wording when expressing my views on spoilers in general)

in short i dont like them. at all. especially on a car as beautiful as the 156.

spoilers should be left for the max power brigade and their 'unique' Saxo's

but each to their own
Yeah its fair enough that some people like them and some people don't. Of course thats the case with most things in life.

But i think to tar the high level Alfa wing with the same brush as the terrible aluminium and faux carbon monstrousities found on the cars of undesirables is ever so slightly harsh. It is after all a part offered by Alfa themselves, not some cheap and nasty effort knocked up to be a generic fit to anything and nothing.

I personally love the 156 with and without the wing, right now for this car i like the side profile the wing has given it.

You have your views, i have mine, it would be boring if we all though the same, but Max Power brigade i truly think not.

Sam.
Sam O'Keefe is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: York UK
Posts: 499

Member car:

156 2.0TS Veloce

Re: Spoiler fitted

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
The high wing looks ace, with the side skirts, it just finishes the job off properly.

156 with no skirts and no wing? Might as well drive a Vectra.
So a 156 with no skirts and wing looks like a Vectra does it? Hmmm, interesting.

Wrong, but interesting.

Come on, the big wing turns a beautiful, flowing aerodynamic original design into a chavmobile.
icarlisle is offline  
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
Gary Slegg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North Wales
Posts: 16,710
Re: Spoiler fitted

I'm not that keen on the big wing myself, but its your car so the important thing is you're happy with it
Gary Slegg is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Alfie GTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Wiltshire
Posts: 2,275

Member car:

2002 GTV T.Spark

Re: Spoiler fitted

I'm not too keen on it in the pic, but i have seen a few on the road and they look good.
Alfie GTV is offline  
Status: V8, baby. V8
AO Silver Member
 
Commanderfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SW London
Posts: 5,559
Re: Spoiler fitted

Nice job with the matching and fitting! Looks perfect. Personally wings/spoilers aren't my thing though. I do think Alfa do a wonderful styling job on all their cars (well I'm not sure about the vagina nose on the original 147s but apart from that)!
Commanderfish is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: York UK
Posts: 499

Member car:

156 2.0TS Veloce

Re: Spoiler fitted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderfish View Post
I do think Alfa do a wonderful styling job on all their cars (well I'm not sure about the vagina nose on the original 147s .....)!
And the old 166 nose


And the old 156 grille (IMHO)


And yes, I've owned and loved both.
icarlisle is offline  
Status: Alfa, Football, Family.... In that order
AO Member
 
Karn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Jersey
County: -
Posts: 752

Member car:

156 2.5 v6

Re: Spoiler fitted

I love the big wing.

With it I think it looks sportier,

without it It looks posher.
Karn is offline  
Status: Has returned! Glad to be back.
AO Silver Member
 
JimmerUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Surrey
Posts: 2,998

Member car:

GTV Cup No.127

Re: Spoiler fitted

Normally I'm not a big fan of big spoilers, but I do think the 156 looks good with it, and some subtle skirts. It also looks good without it. They look like two different cars, both gorgeous.
JimmerUK is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Monty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cambridgeshire
Posts: 2,917
Re: Spoiler fitted

I'm not a fan of the big wing and my 156 was spoilerless and the better for it IMHO.

I wasn't a fan of the spoiler on the v6 GTV but now I own one, I've got used to it to the point that when I see a twinny GTV without one it somehow seems a little naked.
Monty is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,902
Re: Spoiler fitted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
I wasn't a fan of the spoiler on the v6 GTV but now I own one, I've got used to it to the point that when I see a twinny GTV without one it somehow seems a little naked.
Thats how I feel about the BFOW. I have grown to love it!
Pud237 is online now  
HSTDriver
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Spoiler fitted

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarlisle View Post
So a 156 with no skirts and wing looks like a Vectra does it? Hmmm, interesting.

Wrong, but interesting.
No, I said you might as well drive a vectra, a subtle difference that you must have missed.

Without the wing and skirts (IMO) the 156 blends pretty seamlessly into the crowd of mid sized saloons. No heads turn, no second glances, nothing to set it apart from the endless stream of rep-mobiles.

If that's your bag then knock yourself out, but I bought a stylish Italian car because I wanted it to attract the attention, I wanted those second glances.

I'm not into blending in with everyone else.
 
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,902
Re: Spoiler fitted

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
No, I said you might as well drive a vectra, a subtle difference that you must have missed.

Without the wing and skirts (IMO) the 156 blends pretty seamlessly into the crowd of mid sized saloons. No heads turn, no second glances, nothing to set it apart from the endless stream of rep-mobiles.

If that's your bag then knock yourself out, but I bought a stylish Italian car because I wanted it to attract the attention, I wanted those second glances.

I'm not into blending in with everyone else.

I've got to say I've had a lot more attention in the V6 (skirts, BFOW, loud exhaust, 17" Teles and as low as you can get) than I got in the JTD (skirts, 16"s, thats it!).. Its quite a good feeling. Got a thumbs up from a taxi man after a blast through Leeds city centre tunnels
Pud237 is online now  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: York UK
Posts: 499

Member car:

156 2.0TS Veloce

Re: Spoiler fitted

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
No, I said you might as well drive a vectra, a subtle difference that you must have missed.

Without the wing and skirts (IMO) the 156 blends pretty seamlessly into the crowd of mid sized saloons. No heads turn, no second glances, nothing to set it apart from the endless stream of rep-mobiles.

If that's your bag then knock yourself out, but I bought a stylish Italian car because I wanted it to attract the attention, I wanted those second glances.

I'm not into blending in with everyone else.
But (IMO), it's stylish UNTIL you put a wing on it, then the wing renders it unstylish. Each to their own, but I'm afraid I just associate big wings that don't actually do anything with the Max Power neds. I could just as easily say that if you drive a 156 WITH a wing, you may as well drive a chavved-up Corsa. ;-)

Do you really thing the 156 is still a head-turner? It's certainly good looking, but it's eleven years old and there are loads of them out there. Not as ubiquitous as a 3-Series, I'll grant you, but still hardly rare. I love mine, but I wouldn't expect people to gasp as I waft by...
icarlisle is offline  
HSTDriver
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Spoiler fitted

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarlisle View Post
But (IMO), it's stylish UNTIL you put a wing on it, then the wing renders it unstylish. Each to their own, but I'm afraid I just associate big wings that don't actually do anything with the Max Power neds. I could just as easily say that if you drive a 156 WITH a wing, you may as well drive a chavved-up Corsa. ;-)

Do you really thing the 156 is still a head-turner? It's certainly good looking, but it's eleven years old and there are loads of them out there. Not as ubiquitous as a 3-Series, I'll grant you, but still hardly rare. I love mine, but I wouldn't expect people to gasp as I waft by...
It does turn heads. With the wing and skirts
 
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: York UK
Posts: 499

Member car:

156 2.0TS Veloce

Re: Spoiler fitted

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
It does turn heads. With the wing and skirts
Well I guess it's a matter of opinion. You like the big wing and I don't. Each to their own and fair enough. So long as it makes you enjoy your car, that's fine with me.

(You're wrong though)
icarlisle is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
fitted , spoiler

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome