Respect the Alfa Driver - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 31-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire
Respect the Alfa Driver

Okay so I am hiring a VW Golf (sorry its rubbish) while I wait for my 156 to be fixed so I can part-ex it.

Now in two days of driving this car I have been subject to some really disrespectful driving. On the way home last night I was in a traffic jam on a single lane road, I always leave just over a cars length between the car in front of me. The car behind me then over takes me and squeezes into the gap in front of me. I really annoyed me cos whats the point?
It then happened again a couple of miles down the street except there wasn't even a cars length of room and the car behind me overtakes and trys to squeeze in this gap causing the cars coming in the opposite direction to almost stop!!!
This morning I accidently stalled at the traffic lights (I have a selespeed so am not used to changing gears) and immiedately the car behind started beeping erractically and swearing!!!

Now I have been driving my Alfa for a year now and never ever has someone been this disrespectful. Does anyone else ever get this? Its almost like in an Alfa people dont really try to get one up on you (i think this is what people are doing when they drive like ******s) almost like as you have an Alfa you unknowingly command respect from other drivers?

Has anyone else ever experience somehting like this? Maybe someone who owns an Alfa and somehting else? Just curious as to whether it is a coincidence or not?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Newport
Re: Respect the Alfa Driver

No this is becoming more and more common everyday in the uk.

People are self absorbed and only interested in how things affect them.

AO Silver Member

Hmmm interesting point.

Alternative hypothesis - as you are in an unfamiliar manual car, you are driving in a more cautious (slower) manner which people decide to take advantage of?

Also - I bet less people try to beat a 156 than a Golf.
(Post Link) post #4 of 9 Old 31-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire

I was in a traffic jam. Cant get any faster.
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire

Member car:

2002 GTV T.Spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPPalfa View Post
No this is becoming more and more common everyday in the uk.

People are self absorbed and only interested in how things affect them.
That sadly is very true,and i must admit i have found myself thinking that way sometimes
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

147 1.6

I agree with ChrisSound, When driving my wifes Ford KA i get harassed by other drivers, in the 156 i get the respect i deserve

Although I thought it was more to do with physical size then class of car.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV Cup No.127

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSound View Post
On the way home last night I was in a traffic jam on a single lane road, I always leave just over a cars length between the car in front of me. The car behind me then over takes me and squeezes into the gap in front of me.
I had the exact same thing happen to me a couple of weeks back when I was in the Cup.

Bloody annoying.
AO Member

County: West Midlands

I think its true.

I would be too busy admiring it then overtaking.
PEd
AO Member

perhaps its just where i live but i get hassled more in my 156 than my old vw i had. people are more hostile towards me, try to race me, stop me passing etc. i think its the fact that. 1. its a red car 2. it has a silly spoiler, 3. people get a complex about what they drive, its normaly beat up old cars that try to match my speed. like they are making a statement, i guess its all ***** male bullsh1t to be honest. in contrast, higher end vehicles tend to be quite nice about things, often giving a nod or a wave. people with powerful cars virtually never seem to show off. they have no need. smaller less powerful cars seem to have to prove themselves somehow. ironically it is they which are unable to in that situation. silly that.

i was on my way back home tonight, was driving at a speed comensurate with the road conditions. thats all i will say. a car hounded me and came upbehind me fast. i noticed my speed was dropping off so i brought my speed up a bit. not to be a pain i might add. suddenly the road goes to a 40mph speed limit and i am significantly over the limit. as is the car behind me. which i now see is a police car. and so is the one up front. whoooops! he pulled infront of me and didnt do anything. praise the lord! they two police cars then played cat and mouse with each other and drove back along the road at speed. i think i was lucky and got them both on the end of their shift. phew!!!!!!!!!!!!! to be honest they were having fun and i wasnt being silly on the road so think they just couldnt be bothered. nice one!!!!

love, love is a verb, love is a doing word.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
alfa , driver , respect

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page